Sargent Equipment list clarification

WickedApp

In the Sargent equipment list it reads;  You may equip 2 items from the following list ....

and the you may equip 1 item from the following list ....

My question is can I take 2 weapons from the first list and a weapon from the second list as well. meaning 3 weapons.

I think the answer is yes but most models are not equipped this way  ( I believe because of point cost and redundancy). 

Not sure if I would ever equip a Sargent with this many weapons but it would be nice to know.

Thank You.

Judging by your other posts I'm assuming you're referring to the Space Marines codex.

The relevant datasheets I believe all say some variation on, "may replace his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list.".

Common understanding is that such replacements are one for one, so a maximum corresponding to however many weapons the model has to start with, though I concede there's some ambiguity as replacing bolt pistol and boltgun with a plasma pistol, combi-plasma and chainsword is still "replacing (them) with items from the Sergeant Equipment list".

It should be noted that in the recent Deathwatch FAQ, GW has implied you can't replace an item more than twice, in shutting down a model's ability to trade its weapon for a chainsword, then exchange its chainsword for something else.  Itys the last point in this link: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/warhammer_40000_deathwatch_en.pdf

Don't know if this is a general rule or a one off ruling, but it at least suggest's GW's intent on such swaps generally.

The datasheet allows you to take two items from the Sergeant Equipment list. That list itself places restrictions on exactly how free you are to make the choices of what to take (namely, there’s a portion where taking one item from it locks you out from taking another item from it).

It should be noted that in the recent Deathwatch FAQ, GW has implied you can't replace an item more than twice, in shutting down a model's ability to trade its weapon for a chainsword, then exchange its chainsword for something else.  Itys the last point in this link: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/warhammer_40000_deathwatch_en.pdf

Don't know if this is a general rule or a one off ruling, but it at least suggest's GW's intent on such swaps generally.

That applies to replacing, for example, item A with item 1, and then trying to replace item 1 with item X. 

The datasheet allows you to take two items from the Sergeant Equipment list. That list itself places restrictions on exactly how free you are to make the choices of what to take (namely, there’s a portion where taking one item from it locks you out from taking another item from it).

It may differ, depending on which unit in which codex the OP is referring to, however the Space Marines codex is consistent throughout in saying, "The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list.", swapping "Space Marine Sergeant" for the relevant sergeant type for the unit datasheet in question.

Per my original reply, accepted convention is that these are one-for-one swaps, but it's ambiguous enough in that it's entirely correct to say, "My Space Marine Sergeant is replacing his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list, those items being a plasma pistol, power axe and combi-plasma."

But yes, short answer that doesn't get into the nitty-gritty of ambiguously-worded rules for those looking to exploit things is that everyone plays it as a one-for-one swap, so OP probably should too :P

Thank you all for your responses and reasoning.

I am playing Space Marines and using that codex.  Will play Raven Guard fraction as well.

I think Mr. Shine answered my question the best.

My confusion lies in poorly written wording in the codex.  It leave some interpretation.

"The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and boltgun with items from the Sergeant Equipment list."

The the codex gives 2 lists and does not clarify choices of the list.  Such as if you choose list A you can not use list B and vise versa.

The option also allows you to swap out your pistol and boltgun for 1 Boltgun, :huh.:   which sounds bad because they are "free" points.  I concede that other Sargent might have different gear and this may be a good option.

Again thank you all for responding and helping a poor newb out.

Archived