A thematic twist on da waaagh: da horde!

Marshal van Trapp

So looking through all the neat new ironjawz models I was struck with an idea: Making a neat lowtech themed ork army using mostly fantasy models with a few higher tech things sprinkled in, and that's when it hit me!

"I should make a WoW themed Horde Waagh!"

So i sat down and started planning out how i was going to do things and i think I have a pretty solid starting point as far as what should count as what:

Warboss - Orc Chieftan (using probably the ironjawz boss)

Weirdboyz - Orc Warlocks (probably going to use a mix of the ironjawz chanter and shaman to give variety)

Big mek/mek/spanaboy - Goblin with various exotic suits (thinking of gretchen and some kinda powered armor, maybe a terminator suit orked up)

Painboy - Tauren druid/shaman (not sure how to model this but it made sense for a healer to be a druid/shaman)

Ork boyz - well orcs, duh (probably armed with old timey guns)

Gretchen - obviously goblins but I could easily use the existing gretchen models

Warbikes - wolfriders (pretty sure they already exist somewhere as models but I was also thinking of just using regular boyz mounted on fenresian wolves with gun harnesses)

Kommandos - troll headhunters (no clue what I'd use for these, not sure how I'd even go about it)

Special boyz (flash gitz/tankbustas/burnaboyz) - not exactly sure how exactly I'd do these, thematically tinkering is a big thing with goblins in Warcraft but just shoving some heavy weapons on grot models wouldn't work, maybe some kind of exo-suit wearing grots armed with all the special weapons and normal ones as ammo runts ect.

Nobs - fel-infused orks (using ironjawz brutes as a base seems best)

Ork vehicles - not sure whether I'd go with animal drawn/mounted vehicles or ramshackle metal and wood vehicles built and crewed by goblins, I have a few ideas however. Since more than likely these orks wouldn't have the facility to build things like proper trukks or buggies they would probably make extensive use of scavenging ruined vehicles from planets they conquer (think looted and repurposed versions of other vehicles)

Stormboyz - here I'm at a loss, I was thinking like the wind riders but those are more like flying calvary than proper winged orks.

Right now I'm just brainstorming some units and looking online for super cheap already ruined vehicles to convert into scavenged stuff. I think for the most part I'm not going to paint all the orcs green since traditionally old orcs from outland were brown before being tainted by the fel so I was thinking something like the orcs and horde from warlords of draenor meets current horde orcs.

I'm also planning on converting the models ever so slightly to get them standing a bit more upright since 40k orks and even the aos ones are hunched over quite a bit and it makes them look squished.

Just some rambling that I wanted to get some group think on to help me with brainstorming some more.

It’ll be interesting to see what you come up with, for reasons I would normally expect to see this army in Age of Sigmar. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have plans to make a model with Gorehowl the Big Choppa though. Maybe crossover into Starcraft and have them start looting some Terran vehicles?

Alternatively make them fel orks and have them use a bunch of the burning legions mechs?

I remember someone in a 40k Facebook group I'm in making several Warbosses based on Warcraft Orcs for AoS.

Specifically: Ogrim Doomhammer (movie version), Thrall (Gladiator), Grommash Hellscream, Kargath Bladefist and Blackhand the Destroyer (Warlords of Draenor version). And Deathwing made from the Carnasaur :lol:

They were pretty cool. Gorehowl was made from one of the Bloodthirster axes (the double-headed one).

See I was thinking that if gul'dan used his fel magic to open an interdimensional dark portal and landed the horde on one of the 40k worlds that upon overpowering the local populus they would then just steal and repurpose all their technology to help better conquer this new galaxy full of life to be drained to empower more fel orks!

Archived