Missing houses from the transfer sheets

brother_b

I picked up Forgebane and renegade and there are only 3 of the 5 Questor Imperialis houses, and 2 of the 4 Questor Mechanicus houses. 

Where do we find transfers for, say, Krast, or some of the others? Do they even exist?

Thank you all.

I picked up Forgebane and renegade and there are only 3 of the 5 Questor Imperialis houses, and 2 of the 4 Questor Mechanicus houses. 

Where do we find transfers for, say, Krast, or some of the others? Do they even exist?

Thank you all.

Put it this way, the House Malinax Scions that inhabit this board, don't just run that House because we love scorpions ;)

Transfers are an absolute pain to get hold of for Knights. It's the one major bug-bear I had with the original Renegades box too - you got one tiny transfer sheet, and no possibility of buying others outside of Ebay.

Given the costs involved, and surely the huge potential profit margins (a sheet of Malinax transfers costs £16, and must cost pence to have printed), I'm amazed that GW doesn't stock a huge range of them permanently O.o

You can just make your own sheets using printable transfer paper and spray-on acrylic sealant.  This is how I managed a rather unorthodox Freeblade from back in the 7th edition IK codex.  Icons can be borrowed from a simple image search and/or farmed from B&C's own Downloads section! :)

The limited edition sheet actually had all the other houses that are detailed in the codex but absent from the transfer sheet that comes in the book, including Krast. It would probably be insanely expensive to try and get a hold of a sheet, as it hasn't been made since soon after the first knight release. Was apparently also a time limited Free blade sheet when the iOS game freeblade was relased... Other than that there's the FW sheets, but you're pretty much limited in your options if you want to use transfers on your knights.

An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

True, but in fairness that's also the battle-cry of those that like to leave their morality at the door on Ebay and just attempt to fleece people as much as they are able :/

Let's face it, a transfer sheet which would have likely cost a few pence to have printed, and which you can literally reproduce at home with little fuss, shouldn't in any reality be found being sold for $100+. That's just pure avarice. 

I saw that auction. In fairness to the seller, he posted it at a very low price ($4-$5) but early in the process a couple of bidders competing with each other drove the bids up past the $100 mark.

I sent GW customer service an email saying I would love for them to re-release the transfer sheet, and I know others have asked on their Facebook page. The response from GW was, "We can't promise anything but will pass your message along to the Studio."

True, but in fairness that's also the battle-cry of those that like to leave their morality at the door on Ebay and just attempt to fleece people as much as they are able :/

Let's face it, a transfer sheet which would have likely cost a few pence to have printed, and which you can literally reproduce at home with little fuss, shouldn't in any reality be found being sold for $100+. That's just pure avarice. 

I saw that auction. In fairness to the seller, he posted it at a very low price ($4-$5) but early in the process a couple of bidders competing with each other drove the bids up past the $100 mark.

That's what I'm saying.  Bidding is driving the price up to >$100.  There's no way to put a cap on an auction in eBay, and that would be a silly thing to do anyway.  If that many people are willing to pay that much for a transfer sheet, there's nothing anyone else can do about it but design and print your own custom sheets for a lower cost.

That's what I'm saying.  Bidding is driving the price up to >$100.  There's no way to put a cap on an auction in eBay, and that would be a silly thing to do anyway.  If that many people are willing to pay that much for a transfer sheet, there's nothing anyone else can do about it but design and print your own custom sheets for a lower cost.

Well, yeah there is. A sensible 'buy it now' price. Not to mention that there is no way of telling whether an item is being artificially 'bid up' by people or accounts with ties to the listing creator.

Beside that, even if the above were not true, how does that defend the case of the individual selling it for $119?

Greed is greed. I accept that there are people with huge disposable incomes that might be willing to throw $100+ dollars at a piece of paper with some water slide transfers on, but it doesn't make it any less despicable to be part of the process which allows those sums to be charged.

You could buy the printer setup to make your own for that kind of money. It's indefensible. 

Well, yeah there is. A sensible 'buy it now' price. Not to mention that there is no way of telling whether an item is being artificially 'bid up' by people or accounts with ties to the listing creator.

Yeah, that's a good option...

Beside that, even if the above were not true, how does that defend the case of the individual selling it for $119?

Wait, but you just said...

So capping an auction with a Buy It Now price below the level that people are out-bidding each other to pay is OK, just as long as it's a price that you like?

You could buy the printer setup to make your own for that kind of money. It's indefensible. 

Then do that.  GW so far isn't printing any more of these sheets, so they're a finite resource.  Try finding FW Carcharodon transfers at any price close to the original, now that they've been out of print for years.  Or look at the prices of any of the limited edition or out of production miniatures.  It's a collector's market.

I'll admit that this particular item is rather silly because anyone can design and print their own transfers, unlike the LE/OOP miniatures which are much more difficult to duplicate and even then would lack the character/history/perceived value of the original.  However, that's more a reflection on the people willing to pay that much for simple waterslide transfers.  And the people complaining about them.

I didn't want to pay through the nose for those Carcharodon transfers, so I asked Carlson to design a new version.  I took that sheet and had a decal company print them for me.  All in all, it was much cheaper than the "real" transfers.  But I don't really fault people who don't want to go this route, and would instead pay a crazy (IMHO) price for the OOP FW transfer sheet.  It's their money.  And I don't really fault the people who collect a crazy price for the OOP FW sheet, because that's apparently the market value of the sheet and someone is willing to pay it.  That's how markets work.

Yeah, that's a good option...

Wait, but you just said...

So capping an auction with a Buy It Now price below the level that people are out-bidding each other to pay is OK, just as long as it's a price that you like?

Then do that.  GW so far isn't printing any more of these sheets, so they're a finite resource.  Try finding FW Carcharodon transfers at any price close to the original, now that they've been out of print for years.  Or look at the prices of any of the limited edition or out of production miniatures.  It's a collector's market.

I'll admit that this particular item is rather silly because anyone can design and print their own transfers, unlike the LE/OOP miniatures which are much more difficult to duplicate and even then would lack the character/history/perceived value of the original.  However, that's more a reflection on the people willing to pay that much for simple waterslide transfers.  And the people complaining about them.

I'm honestly not willing to get into an abrasive public discussion on this with you Comm. It's not what these forums are for, and it's just going to take the thread further off topic.

However, that's more a reflection on the people willing to pay that much for simple waterslide transfers.  And the people complaining about them.

If you wish to make further personal comment towards me, or anyone who you disagree with, can I politely request you do so via a PM? One of the things I love about these forums is that they don't start to degrade into the personal, they stay constructive and friendly. Let's keep it that way huh?

With regard to the transfer sheet itself, I know Duncan Rhodes has petitioned internally to have GW re-print the sheet several times. He's admitted to having had several problems getting hold of decals for his Griffiths Knights.

It seems this has been to no avail so far though, so I wouldn't hold your breath sadly.

Games workshop puts copy protection on their transfer paper for this very reason ... one can scan in the original sheet easily enough and transfer paper is cheap and plentiful ..... But it comes out blue tinted because of the blue backing paper ... unless you have a nice blue scheme or you are willing to spend hours in photoshop to clean it all up , design your own on buy legitmate ones , dont break the law and try to knock them off .

I too would like some transfers for my knights ... i have legitmately lost my armigar sheets and bought one of my knights used from a redegade deboxer and didnt check if it came with the sheet ..... I have ended up paying expensive Ebay prices ....

My other half eventually gave up looking to sisters of battle transfers on ebay and decided she would just use the Forge world £15 sheet and change her iconography ... to " be 30k world bearers"...  Personally, I think its part of what GW do to combat the second-hand market ... its easy to paint over / strip and repaint models .... we've gotten stripping Sisters of battle models to a fine art now considering how damn pricey they are ... but you cant get transfers.

Games workshop puts copy protection on their transfer paper for this very reason ... one can scan in the original sheet easily enough and transfer paper is cheap and plentiful ..... But it comes out blue tinted because of the blue backing paper ... unless you have a nice blue scheme or you are willing to spend hours in photoshop to clean it all up , design your own on buy legitmate ones , dont break the law and try to knock them off .

I too would like some transfers for my knights ... i have legitmately lost my armigar sheets and bought one of my knights used from a redegade deboxer and didnt check if it came with the sheet ..... I have ended up paying expensive Ebay prices ....

My other half eventually gave up looking to sisters of battle transfers on ebay and decided she would just use the Forge world £15 sheet and change her iconography ... to " be 30k world bearers"...  Personally, I think its part of what GW do to combat the second-hand market ... its easy to paint over / strip and repaint models .... we've gotten stripping Sisters of battle models to a fine art now considering how damn pricey they are ... but you cant get transfers.

With the sheets being as much of a pain to get as they are, maybe we could set up like an exchange on the board or something? I know I've handed off a sheet to a board member already, and I'd be willing to do so again.

Something like, you have Terryn Knights, I have Taranis, so use your decals, I use mine, then exchange sheets so you have effectively double the amount? I dunno, could work if people wanted to participate.

With the sheets being as much of a pain to get as they are, maybe we could set up like an exchange on the board or something? I know I've handed off a sheet to a board member already, and I'd be willing to do so again.

Something like, you have Terryn Knights, I have Taranis, so use your decals, I use mine, then exchange sheets so you have effectively double the amount? I dunno, could work if people wanted to participate.

I wouldn't be uninterested in this. I have it easy though since I paint mine as house Terryn. But, since I'm thinking of eventually painting some Tempestus Scions as a house militia, I greedily lust for any extras of the house Terryn emblems and insignia that I can get my mittens on. I'm also interested in the, what I think are, ruined/worn down(?) Terryn iconography from the small renegade sheet. 

I can only really offer the other readily available and common decals though, Hawkshroud, Cadmus, Taranis and Raven. 

I think if a group of people got a hold of the obscure sheet, they could potentially maximize its value by spreading it around? Problem is though many might be after the same ones...

The sheet I bought on evilbay arrived last night ...... a little dog eared but usable,  its this one. 

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-ou1isn/5hf1vb1/products/3842/images/3986/54-10O__89016.1428094130.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I was intending to use one of the Mech aligned houses and am leaning towards raven's transfers... let me see what I decide to use but there will definitely be some of the imperial house transfers going, eg Hawkshroud,  Terryn and some of the lighter / white decal stuff ... White on White does not for good contrast make ;-)

I looked into making custom decals for my knight house. What are the best options in terms of transfer paper and printers?

I send my sheets to Bedlam Creations.

I ordered a decent inkjet photo printer and some paper, but if I can’t make it work I’ll try these guys.

What lacquer do you use? I was going to spray Vallejo acrylic through my spray gun onto it.

For applying the transfers?  My general process is:

1. Paint the model normally.
  2. Apply a thin layer of 'Ardcoat or other gloss varnish to the target area for the transfer.
  3. Apply the transfer.
  4. Apply 1-2 thin coats of Microsol to make sure that the transfer is laying completely flat.  This is especially important for curved surfaces, like pauldrons, or textured surfaces.
  5. Apply a thin layer of 'Ardcoat to seal the transfer onto the model.
  6. Apply 1-2 thin coats of Lahman Medium to remove the gloss and blend the transfer with the model.
  7. Apply any final washes, typically Nuln Oil.

Easy peasy.

OK I have to just lay this out there:  MAKING YOUR OWN TRANSFER SHEETS IS INCREDIBLY EASY AND NOT THAT EXPENSIVE!!!

Seriously, consider the following:

-You can buy printable transfer paper for 20 bucks for a handful of sheets (at least 10 per pack)

-It'll work in any standard size printer; I prefer inkjet for high quality details, though

-You get solidity/durability with a quick acrylic spray (typically gloss)

-Literally any decal can be produced via a quick Google image search, and a bit of MSpaint skill (or best case, Photoshop) will get you lovely images

-B&C has TONS of transfer sheet options if you don't mind slightly wonky images to avoid copyright nonsense

My one warning is: DO NOT PRODUCE SHEETS WITH COPYRIGHTED IMAGES AND ATTEMPT TO SELL THEM.  This is uncool.

Otherwise, give it a try.  I was floored by how easy this was to do and remain amazed that so few tabletop gamers are willing to even give it a chance.

Archived