Holding back on Primaris Deathwatch... Should I?

TheHarpDaddy

Hey guys,

Really loving the deathwatch rules, models, aesthetic and fluff. I’m especially in love with the primaris marines as they’d represent a faction of marines I’ve never touched before (I.e. completely different from bog standard and custodes). The intercessor models are absolutely gorgeous as well.

The only thing that’s really holding me back is the lack of customisation. I collect 30k thousand sons, and I’m neck deep in magnets and weapon swaps because I have so much fun trying new things and fun, fluffy little combos. To that end, Primaris marines are really lacking.

They have 1 transport. They can have (only) power swords on their sergeants. You can give your captain ONLY what’s given in its kit (Bolter + sword OR pistol + fist). You can’t even take a single special weapon in a squad (bar mixing with hellblasters).

This is what’s really holding me back. I’d love to have the regular customisation on the field that I’m given with my marines. Hell, I’d settle JUST for the ability to take a cheaper transport (along the lines of a rhino...).

Should this be holding me back? Do we think that intercessors (and deathwatch in particular) will eventually get access to special weapon load outs and/or more transport/flier options etc?

Help me spend/not spend my money!

Personally for me this isn't an issue. Veteran squads are there for all your customisation needs, while Primaris are good as stock. Ill be using Intercessors as mid field objective holders and may occasionally stick 5x hellblasters in and combat squad them out for more ob sec and source of plasma.

They do only have 1 transport but again with the telportium stratagem this isnt an issue at all.

Again though, veterans are (for all intents and purposes) just marines. Same kits (with some different chests) same poses etc etc.

Intercessors are a brand new KIT, which represents a new theme of marine. New aesthetic, new options for modelling and conversions etc. Something different from your regular marines!

just use your left over 30k bits! :wink:

38589365272_37c4b8b69e_c.jpg

but on a more serious note, you may be able to magnetize them to swap between intercessor and Hellblaster, and i'm sure GW will have more options for them in the future.

If you're going to delv into Primaris at all, grab a box or 2 of intercessors. I've been fielding these guys ever since they came out and now they're even better with the SIA rules from codex. If you like the Primaris feel after you've played them a while, then grab some Hellblasters and/or aggressors.

Transport has NEVER been an issue for me. I actually prefer to walk my squads. I want my opponent to shoot them first so I can move the rest of my units up. If they don't get shot up, I can easily push the front lines with them or simply hold an objective a couple of turns... which would be longer then a standard marine squad.

I don't look at is a "new marine theme," I look at it as Deathwatch options. If the aesthetic bothers you, then don't get them. There are still plenty of options to stay old school thanks to the codex/point drops.

If its the aesthetic of standard vets thats bothering you then you can always pick up the primaris and convert them up to represent the vets. I think an intercessor with frag cannon would look bad ass.

Bit harder if you want to run Primaris squads along with standard vets though

I find even the very basic Intercessor holds value with poison. They don't have to have a transport, the Repulsor is 'okay' but not optimal. I find the Intercessors are very good at hard targets that normally have you thinking: "I could use the -AP rounds, or Poison on these guys" but you can't make that decision. IE: Intercessors on Termies, or Custodes, etc are very, very effective.

Yeah, I'm in the same position. I like the idea of closer to true scale marines but they're boring units that lack any variety. I've been considering getting some to convert and use as veterans but I think I'll wait and see what GW decide to do with primaris. Right now they're in an awkward position and I can't see that changing quickly, GW have boxed themselves in a corner with how they handled new marines. I'm probably going to just expand my Deathwatch with future-proof units from now on.

That’s what I mean - I actually *love* the primaris aesthetic and would really like to do a deathwatch primaris army based on it, but the lack of options is reeeeeally holding me back.

It might seem stupid, but not being about to even take a power fist or an axe or something similar on a sergeant is a massive bummer to me! So many cool modelling opportunities, but they might get unweildy by trying to use them as “counts as” veterans.

I actually love the primaris deathwatch rules as well, but customising both the look and the wargear in one hit would be really a nice option to have.

I think that Primaris will gain more options moving forward. I think some of the lack of options are intentional, because they don't want them to come across as replacements to the older marines.

As far as starting a Primaris deathwatch force, I'm actually in the process of making one. If you limit your self to primaris it can be tough because they don't have a lot of options. So I would suggest a small ally force, that you combine with another army. 

Does a squad of Intercessors need more than their bolt rifles to be amazing? No.
Do Hellblasters need more than the plasma weaponry? No.
Do Aggressors need more insane options to shoot twice with? No.
Do Inceptors need different weapons? Probably.
Do Reivers need better melee options? Definitely.

So go with the Intercessors. Seriously, AP -3 bolters on standard dudes...it eats everything without an invul save.

Playful answers to your questions below :wink:

Does a squad of Intercessors need more than their bolt rifles to be amazing? No.

But if they had an infantry toted onslaught gatling cannon I honestly wouldn't complain...rule of cool
Do Hellblasters need more than the plasma weaponry? No.

Hellblasters? Probably not. But a unit that can take something like missile launchers or a heavy bolter equivalent would allow Primaris only forces access to some of the better stratagems.
Do Aggressors need more insane options to shoot twice with? No.

Naw, but it'd be nice if Gravis wasn't so squishy. 
Do Inceptors need different weapons? Probably.

I'd like melee weapons on them, personally. 
Do Reivers need better melee options? Definitely.

I honestly feel like Reivers should get like a Vanguard move or Scout deployment to be honest.

So go with the Intercessors. Seriously, AP -3 bolters on standard dudes...it eats everything without an invul save.

I can personally attest to the dakka levels put out by 5 intercessors, 1 bolt inceptor, and 4 bolt aggressors.  It's crazy.

They're seriously so much fun.  

I can personally attest to the dakka levels put out by 5 intercessors, 1 bolt inceptor, and 4 bolt aggressors.  It's crazy.

They're seriously so much fun.  

Yup.  I learned the hard way not to charge them into the Yncarne, though.   >_>

I think you only delve into the primaris marines full potential when you start combat squading the kill teams, your able to get 2/3 Marines per extra dude so for aggressors say that's a KT of 3 aggressors + 2, Marines at T5 with 4 ablative wounds or 2 aggressors & 1 bolter inceptor.

Your strategems also come into play, getting aggressors wounding at +1 with various re-rolls just grinds your opponent down, throw in the ignores cover warlord trait targeting a unit against say Ad-mech (Shroud psalm) and your cooking on gas.

Plenty as heck CP's the right warlord trait and relic (I take Tome of Ectocldes) + some trusty vet squads ( I loving stalkers and bikes) and your away.

Also blow your CP's early to max your advantage, mortal wounds blam +1 to wound go for it, make your opponent really bleed in the early rounds

I was considering a unit of Reavers not for close combat, but instead highly mobile assault SIA "boltguns" with parachute deep strike w/o command point use and grapnel hooks for objective grabbing and backfield shennanigans. They don't have to melee to be effective with that kind of mobility and vengeance rounds fired at 24 inches of range with two shots.

Edit: clarification 18" vengeance or 30" kraken blah blah... Y'all know the drill and what I'm talking about.

I think you only delve into the primaris marines full potential when you start combat squading the kill teams, your able to get 2/3 Marines per extra dude so for aggressors say that's a KT of 3 aggressors + 2, Marines at T5 with 4 ablative wounds or 2 aggressors & 1 bolter inceptor.

Your strategems also come into play, getting aggressors wounding at +1 with various re-rolls just grinds your opponent down, throw in the ignores cover warlord trait targeting a unit against say Ad-mech (Shroud psalm) and your cooking on gas.

Plenty as heck CP's the right warlord trait and relic (I take Tome of Ectocldes) + some trusty vet squads ( I loving stalkers and bikes) and your away.

Also blow your CP's early to max your advantage, mortal wounds blam +1 to wound go for it, make your opponent really bleed in the early rounds

Keep in mind that keeping a unit at 10 men can achieve the same majority T5 you mentioned while making your stratagems much more effective. Plus, chewing through 10 T5 2+ in cover wounds before even scratching the Aggressors is much harder to do than punching through 4.

Archived