Dallas Open GT Report

Last weekend I attended the Dallas Open GT, a 5 round event, and my first GT ever.  This was the first year of existence for the event, and it was professionally run with only one small issue with the BCP app that the staff got fixed quickly.  Being my first big event I set the reasonable goal of being the top Dark Angel player, with only two other DA players out of the 70+ at the event.

Here's what I brought:

Azrael
Talonmaster- Heavenfall relic blade
Company Ancient-bolter
Scouts- 5
Scouts- 5
Scouts- 5
Hellblasters-8
Hellblasters-7
Aggressors-3

Outrider

Sammael- Sableclaw
Inceptor- 6- plasma exterminator
Ravenwing Bike squad- 3, with 3 chainswords and 1 flamer
Dark Shroud- heavy bolter

Round 1 was against a Deathguard list with:

Chaos Lord

2x Nurgle Demon Prince

3x 5 Plague Marines

Foul Blightspawn

3x Foetid Bloat Drones

3x Plagueburst Crawlers

3x 3 Nurglings

Feculant Gnarlmaw

Deployment was Hammer and Anvil.  I castled up in a corner and kept everything near my shroud, waiting for his forces to close in.  I had no problem destroying his bloat drones and the marines.  The PBC's were a little tougher, especially with the -1 miasma, but I still brought one down.  Between that and killing more most turns I finished with a win, 24-22.  My opponent's PBC's just couldn't do much when I have the -1 affecting nearly my whole army.

Round 2 was against an Astra Militarum list with:

Tallarn Shadowsword

Cadian Company Commander

2x Primaris Psykers

2x 8 Roughriders

6 Roughriders

2x Astropaths

Platoon Commander

30 Conscripts

5x 9 Infantry Squads

6x Basilisks

Hydra

Deployment was Frontline Assault.  He kept the SS in reserve, so I deployed more aggressively, near the front center of my zone.  I went first and early on I was murdering infantry, easily got Big Game Hunter points, and even got Sammy & Talon Master in melee against his tanks.  The tide shifted a bit when he brought in all his reserves, but it wasn't enough.  I kept my Inceptors in reserve until the SS came out to play, and knocked it down a few tiers.  His Roughriders didn't do much but helped him hold more objectives than me for a few turns, leading to a 24-23 point victory for me.

Round 3 was against a Drukhari list with:

Haemonculus

Urien

3x 5 Wracks

10 Grotesques

Archon

3x Ravagers

Tantalus

Raider

Lelith Hesperax

Succubus

9 Wyches

10 Wyches

5 Wyches

Deployment was Vanguard.  I castled up really well and chose to go second.  First turn my opponent, a top player from Austin, moves his Tantalus around and takes pot shots at hellblasters, causing no damage.  I saw my opportunity so moved towards it with most of my army, and deepstriked my inceptors in my deployment zone for max firepower, resulting in me killing the Tantalus and Raider.  As the game progressed my opponent deepstriked in the Ravagers, and moved his Grotesques up the board.  It took some sacrafices but I was able to kill all his characters except the Archon, and for my opponent's first time the Grotesques were eliminated.  It sure took a lot to get them, even with plasma.  Ultimately it was just a hair too little, as his Ravagers had free reign.  Maybe I should have dedicated some shots against them instead of the Grots, but its a hard call.  I ended up with a 24-25 point loss.  Super close, would have won if we finished on turn 5, but we made it all 6 rounds.

Round 4 was against an Ork list with:

3x Big Mek

Warboss on bike

2x 30 boyz

29 boyz

2x painboyz

30 storm boyz

Dakkajet

3x weird boyz

6x Mek gunz, kustom mega kannons

Deployment was Dawn of War.  I went first and killed half of the Kannons immediately.  Respect Ork shooting!  Most of my list was in the middle of the board, with a hellblaster squad and Sammy / Talon Master on a flank.  He lined up fairly well spaced across the board, which I was hoping for, so as the game progressed I could fall back to the flank and kite out some of his list.  Between Da Jump and stormboyz he got a few units in melee early on, mostly against scouts and my bikes holding an objective, which was fine as it allowed more time for my guns to blow orks away.  He was taking huge numbers of casualties, with me easily maxing out Reaper and nearly Headhunter, but unfortunately we only made it to turn 4, so my opponent who had got 3 Recon and 3 Behind Enemy Lines points edged me out, 18-19. I had selected his Warboss for Kingslayer, and my opponent wisely ran him behind cover after I killed all the boyz around him, and that cost me.  One more turn and I would have killed lots more and nearly tabled him.  Oh well.

Round 5 was against an Emperors Children list with:

2x Chaos Lord

Slaanesh Demon Prince

Exalted Champion

3x 10 Noise Marines

3x Rhinos

3x 3 Obliterators

Deployment was Search and Destroy.  I chose to go second, and my opponent was unable to kill anything his first turn, which meant he lost out on an Old School point for first blood.  In return I took a few wounds off a rhino that was peeking out behind a wall.  He the moved two squads in rhinos up, and brought in 2 oblit squad, but didn't do much against the Shroud and Azrael combo.  In return I killed one oblit squad thru auspex! And blew up one rhino and killed some marines.  He brought in the last oblit squad, and was able to get his prince and lord with jumpack in melee. Azrael went down but not without bringing the prince to 2 wounds after using Only in Death Does Duty End.  Next few turns killed both easily, other rhino and marines down.  We went to six turns, killing his third Rhino hiding in the back (ie tabling him) and holding all 3 objectives.  A decisive win for the Dark Angels, 27-17.

With that I finished 3-2, good enough for 20th out of 71 players and top Dark Angel player for the tournament.  Keys to victory were knowing when to castle up hard or deploy more aggressively,  knowing when to go first or second when I have the choice, and keeping the Dark Shroud out of sight as much as possible during deployment.  The tournament organizers provided a cool laser etched glass for each best in faction player.  Additionally I won a raffle they held two months ago for early entrants- the prize was a fully painted and magnetized Warhound Titan painted to colors of my choice by a local pro painter!  (I chose Legio Gryphonicus) For the Lion!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/rboyes/IMG_1042.jpg

Amazing!

What's your rough guide for when to go first and when to go second then? It's brave to give up 1st turn!

Really depends on terrain and your opponent.  Here's what the terrain was like, each board was nearly identical, with the large terrain in the middle counting as ruins (not my army of course, just for reference):

Dallas+Open+GT+Day+1-11.jpg

General rule of thumb, first is better if your opponent deploys in the open and you'll be able to shoot his units (as long as its with enough of your forces). If they deploy with most out of range or line of sight, then go second.  With ITC and end of battle round scoring, going second will allow you to know exactly how many objectives or kills you need to get those extra primary points...its a huge advantage knowing where to focus your efforts.  Also note with ITC's Old School secondary objective, first strike- by deploying out of sight (and going second) there's a good chance you can deny your opponent one of those 4 available points.

I nearly always tried to deploy out of LOS.  If my opponent did as well, then I would choose to go second, so they would have to move out first turn to get objectives, etc, wouldn't hurt me much in shooting, and leaving them open to my return fire from a much larger portion of my list relative to what they were able to shoot with.  This worked well against the Dark Eldar, where my opponent sped into the open with the Tantalus which didn't do much except die on my turn 1.

Against the Imperial Guard, I wanted to get in his face, so I deployed forward in the open but not very exposed due to the central terrain.  He was likely concerned by my hellblasters, so the Shadowsword got put in reserve.  I then choose to go first to seriously degrade his forces before he can shoot back.  If I went second, I would not have been over exposed since he wouldn't be able to shoot much at me save the basilisks. My first turn, my infantry walk through the ruin's and begin engaging his tanks while my speeders mow down guardsmen.

Against the Orks, I want to remove as much as possible before he gets too close, so naturally I choose first turn.

Amazing!

What's your rough guide for when to go first and when to go second then? It's brave to give up 1st turn!

Really depends on terrain and your opponent.  Here's what the terrain was like, each board was nearly identical, with the large terrain in the middle counting as ruins (not my army of course, just for reference):

Dallas+Open+GT+Day+1-11.jpg

General rule of thumb, first is better if your opponent deploys in the open and you'll be able to shoot his units (as long as its with enough of your forces). If they deploy with most out of range or line of sight, then go second.  With ITC and end of battle round scoring, going second will allow you to know exactly how many objectives or kills you need to get those extra primary points...its a huge advantage knowing where to focus your efforts.  Also note with ITC's Old School secondary objective, first strike- by deploying out of sight (and going second) there's a good chance you can deny your opponent one of those 4 available points.

I nearly always tried to deploy out of LOS.  If my opponent did as well, then I would choose to go second, so they would have to move out first turn to get objectives, etc, wouldn't hurt me much in shooting, and leaving them open to my return fire from a much larger portion of my list relative to what they were able to shoot with.  This worked well against the Dark Eldar, where my opponent sped into the open with the Tantalus which didn't do much except die on my turn 1.

Against the Imperial Guard, I wanted to get in his face, so I deployed forward in the open but not very exposed due to the central terrain.  He was likely concerned by my hellblasters, so the Shadowsword got put in reserve.  I then choose to go first to seriously degrade his forces before he can shoot back.  If I went second, I would not have been over exposed since he wouldn't be able to shoot much at me save the basilisks. My first turn, my infantry walk through the ruin's and begin engaging his tanks while my speeders mow down guardsmen.

Against the Orks, I want to remove as much as possible before he gets too close, so naturally I choose first turn.

Great advice, thanks. I've got a 1.5k ITC torunament next week. I'll try and use your advice, although we have less LoS blocking terrain

Archived