Deathwing Knights! Viable?

Excellent point re: 

Deathwing units get a extra attack on 4+ using the stratagem Never Forgive , never forget.

I have used them in the the past deepstriking with belial, a librarian and an ancient sometime. The libby I made warlord with the lord of maneuver option to be able to rerol the charge. They literally clobber stuff. You can also use a landraider cusader to get them on the field, a bit less expensive to use.

Excellent point regarding Master of Manoeuvre, with the Libby's Righteous Repugnance and a command point on standby for re-rolling for that sometimes pesky 7, they can be amost guaranteed to wipe units.

I had a bit of an issue this weekend with being swamped by ad mech units.  The vanguard's rad saturation (-1 T) meant I suffered far more wounds than usual and they died fairly cheaply.  I think to counter this I'd have to bring a supporting unit into combat, ala scouts or something.  I did manage to get Cawl down to 1 wound thought... :huh.:

I actually like to use them against heavy armor. You can wipe two baneblades in one combat round

It's only against FALLEN units that they get extra hits on 4+. If you're playing it otherwise, you're doing it wrong, unfortunately.

Excellent point re: 

Deathwing units get a extra attack on 4+ using the stratagem Never Forgive , never forget.

I have used them in the the past deepstriking with belial, a librarian and an ancient sometime. The libby I made warlord with the lord of maneuver option to be able to rerol the charge. They literally clobber stuff. You can also use a landraider cusader to get them on the field, a bit less expensive to use.

Excellent point regarding Master of Manoeuvre, with the Libby's Righteous Repugnance and a command point on standby for re-rolling for that sometimes pesky 7, they can be amost guaranteed to wipe units.

I had a bit of an issue this weekend with being swamped by ad mech units.  The vanguard's rad saturation (-1 T) meant I suffered far more wounds than usual and they died fairly cheaply.  I think to counter this I'd have to bring a supporting unit into combat, ala scouts or something.  I did manage to get Cawl down to 1 wound thought... :huh.:

I actually like to use them against heavy armor. You can wipe two baneblades in one combat round

It's only against FALLEN units that they get extra hits on 4+. If you're playing it otherwise, you're doing it wrong, unfortunately.

You are right, you first have to mark the target as a fallen

I sometimes spend the 3 CP on Honour the Chapter to attack again.  Usually kills off whatever I'm facing.

I think the problem there is comparing to other options. You could do that same thing at range, with Hellblasters, and only 1CP for Weapons From the Dark Age.

I sometimes spend the 3 CP on Honour the Chapter to attack again. Usually kills off whatever I'm facing.

I think the problem there is comparing to other options. You could do that same thing at range, with Hellblasters, and only 1CP for Weapons From the Dark Age.

I don't really think they do compare very well. Unless I'm missing your point?

I played my Knights last night against a Genestealer cult army. If you get the initiative in combat, then these guys are absolute monsters. I had them supported by an Interrogator-Chaplain, and when it worked Righteous Repugnance, which meant that you're hitting on 3's with re-rolls and wounding at worst on a 3. Plus 3 damage a piece is just nice.

However, on the receiving end and they are just not so durable. Facing against a horde of 11 Genestealers with 5 attacks each and +1S thanks to pyschic shenanigans, and the squad just dies, 3++ or not. T5 on a terminator would just make so much more difference to survivability, maybe even a 6+ feel no pain rule. 

G8Keeper - I think I'm with you on this: for the points/CPs you invest in delivering Knights into battle, there are other more effective/flexible options.

I played my Knights last night against a Genestealer cult army. If you get the initiative in combat, then these guys are absolute monsters. I had them supported by an Interrogator-Chaplain, and when it worked Righteous Repugnance, which meant that you're hitting on 3's with re-rolls and wounding at worst on a 3. Plus 3 damage a piece is just nice.

However, on the receiving end and they are just not so durable. Facing against a horde of 11 Genestealers with 5 attacks each and +1S thanks to pyschic shenanigans, and the squad just dies, 3++ or not. T5 on a terminator would just make so much more difference to survivability, maybe even a 6+ feel no pain rule. 

G8Keeper - I think I'm with you on this: for the points/CPs you invest in delivering Knights into battle, there are other more effective/flexible options.

Hmm, yes I probably agree there.  However, I just can't resist trying to make them as effective as possible and damn the CP cost haha! They're just such a cool unit!

What about drop podding a leviathan asva distraction carnifex to draw fire away from a LRC w knights and support characters?

You can no longer stick a dreadnought with as many (or more) starting wounds as a Redemptor in a drop pod. They realized the leviathan in a pod was too good, apparantly.

What about drop podding a leviathan asva distraction carnifex to draw fire away from a LRC w knights and support characters?

You can no longer stick a dreadnought with as many (or more) starting wounds as a Redemptor in a drop pod. They realized the leviathan in a pod was too good, apparantly.

IS that for a lucius drop pod too? I thought this is only for Stormravens?

Pretty sure that’s Storm Raven not Droppod’s.

Droppods haven’t been carrying Dreads since 8th dropped

DM

The Lucius Pattern of Forgeworld still are able to.

Pretty sure that’s Storm Raven not Droppod’s.

Droppods haven’t been carrying Dreads since 8th dropped

DM

The Lucius Pattern of Forgeworld still are able to.

I know, but the maximum wound rule only applies to Storm Ravens

DM

I know, but the maximum wound rule only applies to Storm Ravens

DM

Sorry, seems like I missed your poin. I think the same way btw.

You're absolutely right, I messed that one up, and for that I apologize. If you will allow me, I will report to Chamber 42 for some "thinking time" and a "chat" with Interrogator Stobz and Chaplain Lucifer...

Archived