Deploying assassins as allies

Drizzt79

I was thinking to deploy 2 eversor and 1 callidus assassin.....220 points total

They could provide some distraction, clear some infantry and tie some in CC.

The Callidus with her mortal wounds could also be used to kill some tau drones protecting the Riptide for instance.

The Vindicare is not providing enough damage IMO....too expensive for D3 damage, no mortal wounds

In parallel I would DS my fortis kill teams alongside a JP captain + a vet frag kill team with the beacon (with some SS and a couple of termies for resiliance)

The idea is to clear some bubble units, and give a lot to manage to the adversary

What do you think?

I really like how my Eversor can come in and destroy 10 Bloodletters/Infantry Squad holding an objective. The Callidus was perhaps just a little better when more stuff went down turn 1.I still enjoy her ability when my Lascannons from Dreadnought and Corvus shoots turn 1, making it harder for enemy to reroll saves.

Culexus has not done a lot for me yet, but I don’t meet psykers at all, so he mostly gets ignored and I place him 18” from enemy artillery or heavy support and take shots at them.

Vindicare has been very hit or miss, taking out a Bloodmaster on owerwatch on my very first game was awesome, but I think he needs a buddy to help him out. When my Heresy Girls arrive, I’ll pair him up with a girlfriend.

I see the Callidus very fit to take out shield drones with the neural shredder dealing D3 mortal wounds (drones have leadership 6)

I also didn’t try the culexus....but the forced BS 6+ to the opponent sounds good to me.

The main problems I have to face is against tau....so the eversor killing and tying in CC pathfinders and other sources of markerlights could help

I agree with the Culexus. The others are okay but very odd to fill into a Deathwatch list. 

Eversor is still just super efficient.  It's always nice to have cheap single model character distractions that can punch above their weight class.  I've fallen in love with 2++ ogryn bodyguards, myself.

Callidus has lost value with the new detachment CP increases.  Not a bad model, but harder to justify not taking a culexus or eversor in place of.

They are in one of the Imperial indices.

Index 2 if memory serves.  I'd agree the Culexus is a beast for his cost and given the psyker-heavy (MW spamming Smite especially) meta that some armies love he's an obvious choice to shut down some of these shenanigans.

They are in one of the Imperial indices.

Index 2 if memory serves.  I'd agree the Culexus is a beast for his cost and given the psyker-heavy (MW spamming Smite especially) meta that some armies love he's an obvious choice to shut down some of these shenanigans.

They also had some mention in the BIG FAQ on how you can include them in your army without breaking the new anti-soup detachment rules. 

I know everyone's content so far, but let me just add how awesome Culexus Assassins are....

I played 3 games against Thousand Sons with him and completely shut down entire psychic phases. I paired just one up with a couple librarians and positioned them in the middle of the army. He was so pissed by the 2nd/3rd game cause I kept hiding him behind infantry units and other characters.

When I included him against non-psycher units, he was an epic distraction. I had an opponent waste an entire artillery unit (Basilisk) against him and miss, which means one of my other units lived one more turn longer.

Back to the subject at hand, I usually just bring him @ -1 CP instead of filling out a vanguard. Really miss my inquisitors with my assassins :unsure.:

I know everyone's content so far, but let me just add how awesome Culexus Assassins are....

I played 3 games against Thousand Sons with him and completely shut down entire psychic phases. I paired just one up with a couple librarians and positioned them in the middle of the army. He was so pissed by the 2nd/3rd game cause I kept hiding him behind infantry units and other characters.

When I included him against non-psycher units, he was an epic distraction. I had an opponent waste an entire artillery unit (Basilisk) against him and miss, which means one of my other units lived one more turn longer.

Back to the subject at hand, I usually just bring him @ -1 CP instead of filling out a vanguard. Really miss my inquisitors with my assassins :unsure.:

I can second how well Culexus' do against armies such as Thousand Sons. Not only that its very much a mind game too. I play thousand sons and the first time my brother stuck 2 Culexus on the board my first thoughts were "oh :cuss, this is going to cause some problems" Im sure it affected the way I played.

The -2 to cast itself wasn't a HUGE issue, more an annoyance, but considering that TS players have lots of ways to buff their psychic (+2 from strategem, +2 on Magnus, +1 on Ahriman, +1 on Term Sorc) I just pushed through.

I love how well Exersors can just distract the enemy to deal with them, and there compartively very cheap as a distraction

I plan to try out 3 Vindicaires. Does this have any merits at all? I haven't really fielded them since 7th.

3 Vindicares means potentially 3D3 damage on a character.....also if you roll a 6 to wound its a D6 damage

It could be a good idea, unfortunately I have just one so I could not try.....and I can tell you one is not good enough, just wasted 90pts

To kill a character you need 3 turns (with some luck) with a single Vidicare

I have 5 Vindicaires. 2x of both older poses, and 1x the newer Execution box pose. I'm actually considering buying another. There is an awesome third party female Vindicaire model that looks top notch. I have a problem.

Man so many fun toys and models. Trying to fit everything in. :D Wanting to field some of these assassins now and also build a battalion of Tempestus guys to get some more bodies on the board and possibly plug in some long range AT firepower.

I used to run two Vindicare behind a squad of sniper scouts. It was pretty good and forces opponents to hide characters. One of the scouts had a heavy bolter so I could pop the Hellfire strat... combined they could do some serious damage.

Back at the beginning of 8th i ran 2 vindicares to pop comissars so i could frag cannon conscript blob.
Their biggest problem is one shot for the points.  It's just not enough.  For the cost of 3 you could get another full kill team, or almost 2 vendreads.  Sniper's just arent terribly good this edition, and the vindicare lost its ability to damage vehicles.

For a more casual game taking 3 would be playable, for sure.  Definitely not a competitive option, though.

It will be interesting if there will be an imperial agents codex.....perhaps all the assassins could recieve some boost

Immagine the vindicare dealing mortal wounds, or some general points reduction.....would make them a good competitive choice

It will be interesting if there will be an imperial agents codex.....perhaps all the assassins could recieve some boost

Immagine the vindicare dealing mortal wounds, or some general points reduction.....would make them a good competitive choice

I imagine vindicare will get his specialty ammo choices back.  Would be the best way to bring him back to playability.  If he could reliably do 1d3 damage to vehicles, he'd never have turns where he doesnt contribute something, at least.  Give him the options to shoot vehicles, ignore invuls, or ignore LOS/penalties to hit. All on 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound. 

I doubt this will happen unless GW expands the Inquisition range (unlikely).  Especially with the heavy focus on Sisters of Battle for 2019.

Archived