Mixing Primaris, deepstrike and Repulsors

Prot

More generally reports like this (and other good reports) tell me that we may have new problem area that SIA cannot handle and it's T5+ toughness W3+ infantry/elites/characters/... (excluding vehicles and monsters which allready are problematic too) having reasonably good base save and (whatever) invulnerable save. We can wound these models with SIA Hellfire ammo but it looks like due to limited numbers our shooting volume is not enough to kill those models fast enough. On the other hand enemy inv. saves negate high AP weapons so only way to go is to increase shooting volume or use D2 weapons. In practice this means more SB's or more Plasma. Yes, there are other D2 sources too but FC's are too expensive to take more than 6-8 peer army and I feel other solutions are either even more expensive or just "one use only" due to very short range or melee use. Before SB hype we used x3 Combi-Plasma/Plasmagun teams to handle high-T and multiple-W models/units but nowadays I do not see plasma elsewhere but in Fortis Kill-Teams. Maybe this is the case/niche for Fortis.

Just some observations about plasma... I loved plasma before the codex and created a squad or two to incorporate them. I think the meta has always been to use them on vehicles, but you were still wounding on 4's and 5's. The Hellblasters changed the game big time for DW, and now I hardly waste points on regular plasma.

If I do take regular plasma, it's for mulching elite infantry and forcing invuls (DG, etc). There's no point in trying to use it on vehicles unless you are desperate to finish off that razorback with 1-2 wounds left. I do still use combi-plasma but I always keep them near the watchmaster, and honestly, you should never overcharge if firing both. You take combi-plasma for more shots, or just take plasma if you're confident with the rest of the kill team. Currently use 5 storm bolters and 4 combi-plasma, with shields of course. 1 slot left for an accompanying HQ in a transport.

Ok ok, when everybody keep convincing me that Hellblasters are good then ok I believe they are awesome :laugh.:  But like somebody already said I too believe this is mostly because of Fortis kill-team and not because of slightly better gun. I'm not going to go deep in math but if we assume that from effectiveness point of view x5 Incinerator == x6 Plasmagun even against Sv2/3 vehicles then it is clear that for the same pts you can build more effective team using Vets and Plasmaguns. Durability is different story. Again I'm not going to go deep in math but from durability point of view difference between equally expensive x2 Termie+x6 Plasma-Vets+x4 SS and x5 Intercessor+x5Hellblaster teams is that when massive AP0 firestorm has wiped Vet team you still have 3 Hellblasters standing or if plasma was used 2 (1.5) Hellblasters standing and ready for vengeance. This makes Fortis team tactically more "annoying" to the enemy than Vet team - enemy has to tie more weapons to get rid of it or cannot advance as planned etc. which might give you chance to build something that gives tactical edge later game. And ok, I admit that I could use that slightly better AP too when shooting vehicles ...even though it only gives just one more wound per squad per turn :wink: :laugh.: Hmm... Orc's codex (my arch enemy) is coming soon so maybe now it is time my Watch Master to introduce new Primaris units under his wise and respected command :smile.:  Thanks everyone for all the good comments and pointing me the light (again) :thumbsup:

Also keep in mind 15" rapid fire lets you drop outside of strategem response range.  Had times where the extra 6" of range saved my bacon, too.  Lets em solve problems and still reach out and touch armor in the main fight.  Usually while also capping an objective.

Archived