Helverin Appreciation thread

This is a thread to discuss your love and appreciation for helverins.

Was playing a "floor is lava" necron list the other night. All destroyers and tomb blades, no infantry. My Vulker Helverin wiped 2 units of destroyers on his own in 2 turns of shooting. Admittedly I got lucky. Rolled 11 and 12 in both rounds for number of shots. Vulker stratagem for exploding 6s and reroll 1s on closest unit or skyreaper protocols to reroll misses against units that fly was brutal. First turn I didn't use skyreaper, took out a full unit of 6, getting 11 from 11 hits (4 misses but between 1s and exploding 6s got a full house) and 8 wounds and he rolled atrociously for saves. Second round of shooting from it was pure filth. 12 shots (rolled 3 6s and a 5) skyreaper protocols and exploding 6s strat ended up giving me 15 hits. 10 wounds and another atrocious round of saves and that little Helverin has now earnt a name. Maybe I'll make it's pilot a Baron's bastard son/daughter.

Anyone else care to share their Helverin success stories?

Helverins are powerful against units/armies with odd rules. They seem particularly effective against Necrons, Tau, Eldar and Death Guard. Against more conventional foes that rely on toughness and normal armour for protection, I rate the Warglaives higher.

Still, horses for courses.

3 damage is just brutal. There's a lot of 3 wound models in the game that it would just love to make the acquaintance of, necron desteoyers, wraiths, ogryns, nobz on bikes, tyranid warriors to name but a few. 1 failed save = 1 dead model. And death guard with their disgustingly resilient? Chews through them pretty easily!

• 3 weeks later...
Found out last night that helverins are very effective against Ghost Arks and Doomsday arks. Using the raven strat, I went from 9 shots to 11, managed 9 hits, 6 wounds. 4 failed 5+ saves on the DDA and only passed 1 Quantum Shielding save. 9 damage from 1 salvo. The other Helverin polished it off with 1 cannon using skyreaper protocols and put 6 wounds on a Ghost ark with the other cannon.

I'd be quicker to buy these guys if the autocannon didn't look like a weedy piece of plumbing from an old schoolhouse. Shapeways might be the answer though.

Mine are still WIP, but I decided to leave the "shields" from the weapons in the sprues. They look a bit more gangling now (if that is the correct word I googled right now :sweat: )

I'm planning on ordering some stuff from Shapeways so I think I'll pick some of those up so my Helverins have more variety in their look.

Big fan of them as well. I've been running one in my list for the last month or so and it always does well. Rarely dies too which is always a plus.

I'd be quicker to buy these guys if the autocannon didn't look like a weedy piece of plumbing from an old schoolhouse. Shapeways might be the answer though.

I got these on shapeways, pretty happy with the resulting look.

Rp7wKYv.jpg

yes those are the ones.  Thanks for the pic of them. They look even better painted. As soon as "No Buy August" rolls through i'll b picking them and the Shapeways kit up. :wink:

Edit- love those colors for the Armigers

I got these on shapeways, pretty happy with the resulting look.

Rp7wKYv.jpg

Oh heck yeah. More pics please!!!

More a Armiger appreciation in general than Helverin only but a few days ago I was facing a friend's SM force in a 1500pt game. He had two tactical squads, two scouts, and something like four Dreadnoughts (two base, Ironclad, and a Redemptor) and three HQ/elite characters in the back. I brought a mixed AM/Knight's list with two of each Armiger and a trio of infantry squads alongside a pair of Russes, a Commissar, Commander, Primaris psyker, command squad w/ flag, Enginseer, and a handful of Scions.

So first turn he moves closer and shoots me a bit, Warglaive 1 gets scuffed up a bit but otherwise nothing too bad happens. In reply I move all the Armiger's up. Sadly I don't recall the Warglaives doing much this turn while Helverin 1 apparently caused a reactor breach on the Ironclad that killed a tactical marine and 2 almost destroyed a dreadnought. Afterward warglaive 1 charged the group of scouts in front of them, and with the most awkward flailing ever only killed a single scout.

Turn two his Redemptor comes out of cover whereupon it gets shot and beat on by Warglaive 2 and a Russ while 1 ties up the scouts (kills a lot more this time) and a tactical squad before passing. Meanwhile Helverin 1 wipes out the other tactical squad and 2 finishes killing the first dreadnought and gravely wounding the second. Turn three ends with the Redemptor finding out that ripping the reactor out of an Armiger is a bad idea. On the other side his remaining tactical squad and dreadnought find themselves in the sights of the Helverins who promptly remove them. He conceded shortly afterwards.

Last game my single Helverin managed to kill a Neutronager, crippling him down to the lowest statline during round one, dodging the return fire and finishing him of in round two. Then he shot away some rangers and managed to stay alive to the end of the game!

Great performance for these little points!

Archived