Highlander Game vs Imperial Knights. Help Needed.

Paranoimiac

Hello, I have 2000pt Highlander list game coming up against Imperial Knights and would really appreciate some help coming up with an effective list.

Limitations are:

Battleforged, maximum of 3 detachments.

Highlander (no duplicate of any unit dataslate entry, in any given battlefield role unless one of each other option has been taken. This restriction does not apply to the Dedicated Transport battlefield role.),

0-1 super heavies (The Imperial Knights codex gets around this restriction).

Scoring is d3+3 objectives worth 1pt each, Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker and Solo Blood (Solo-Blood - When a whole enemy unit has been destroyed, keep track. If you have not had a friendly unit destroyed during the same and ensuing PLAYER turns, immediately score a victory point. This may only be scored once per player.)

I'd like to keep the core of the list DG but I'm happy to mix in Daemons, CSM and Renegades. As nasty as possible as it's a competitive mini tournament game (between a small group of friends).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Daemon princes pack a wallop... l have had half my knight army torn apart by daemon princes. Also, DPs have several data sheet entries, which make them a sneaky sort of work around for highlander.

Thanks. I hadn't considered that different dataslates might circumvent the restriction. I'll check with the group.

From what I understand close combat is the key to knights, I'm considering a Contemptor with double chain fists and soul burners a DP and even the lowly Defiler with a scourge. I had also considered Scabbithrax however the point cost there is a concern.

I had also thought that maybe a Cerebus Tank Destroyer would work but with only 4 shots it would possibly underwhelm.

The other options might be Blight lords with meltas, haulers and PM Blight bombardment.

Scabby got a price hike, from what I understand, and may be more trouble than he is worth.

Defilers seem good except for that dang 4+ to hit. That Daemonforge strat is your friend.

Is your opponent using a guard ‘battery’ for extra CP?

I don't know, it's possible he'll bring guard. lists are only revealed on the day we play.

He's new to knights for this competition so it's a bit of an unknown quantity.

The way the competition works is on a knock out basis, by a very narrow squeak I won my first round against Craftworld Aeldari with a Scorpion! 4-3 on the 7th round (praise Nurgle). I now move onto the Knights.

Imperial Knights in highlander games sound incredibly cheesy. They are all about as tough while having different Datasheets and are expensive enough that you won't get in situations where you'd need doubles. Plus they circumvent the 0-1 LoW restriction just like that.

Not sure what to recommend what the others didn't already say. I'd definitely pack some Poxwalker and Cultists to sit on objectives tho. :ermm:

Agreed, so far I have x2 units of 20 poxwalkers, 20 cultists and 5 PM's with plasma for troops, DP and a Plague caster for HQ's and thinking of a Contemptor with dual chain fists and soul burners teaming up with a siege drill and soul burner leviathan leaving me 675 points to play with.

Maybe some Melta Blightlords too? They're pretty expensive but a 4++ together with DR could soak up some real damage with some luck and no Knight likes Melta.

I like plague busses to take out knights. A rhino full of 7 CC marines, 1 Lord, 1 Blightspawn (warlord with arch-contaminator), & 1 Putrifier. Put VotLW on them and that's 7d6 grenades hitting on 3+ (rerolling 1's), wounding on 4's, causing MW's on 5's, and rerolling all failed wounds with -1 AP.

When they charge in (having cast Blades on them), play VotLW again, then you get 14 attacks, hitting on 3's (rerolling 1's), wounding on 3's or 4's (depending on war gear), causing MW's on 5's, and rerolling all failed wounds.

Not to mention the Blightspawns plague sprayer, 2d6 Str, 2d6 auto hit attacks, rerolling all failed wounds, -3 AP, and 3 wounds each.

I know many people don't think this is a good combo, but I have used it successfully a lot.

Maybe some Melta Blightlords too? They're pretty expensive but a 4++ together with DR could soak up some real damage with some luck and no Knight likes Melta.

I have been considering 7-10 melta blighters, possibly backed up by a lord.

I like plague busses to take out knights. A rhino full of 7 CC marines, 1 Lord, 1 Blightspawn (warlord with arch-contaminator), & 1 Putrifier. Put VotLW on them and that's 7d6 grenades hitting on 3+ (rerolling 1's), wounding on 4's, causing MW's on 5's, and rerolling all failed wounds with -1 AP.

When they charge in (having cast Blades on them), play VotLW again, then you get 14 attacks, hitting on 3's (rerolling 1's), wounding on 3's or 4's (depending on war gear), causing MW's on 5's, and rerolling all failed wounds.

Not to mention the Blightspawns plague sprayer, 2d6 Str, 2d6 auto hit attacks, rerolling all failed wounds, -3 AP, and 3 wounds each.

I know many people don't think this is a good combo, but I have used it successfully a lot.

This does seem a good answer, would a termite assault confer any advantages over a rhino?

....7d6 grenades hitting on 3+ (rerolling 1's), wounding on 4's, causing MW's on 5's, and rerolling all failed wounds with -1 AP.

When they charge in (having cast Blades on them), play VotLW again, then you get 14 attacks, hitting on 3's (rerolling 1's),

I can't believe I've missed it for this long, but blight bombardment only works in overwatch which makes it a lot more situational.

I'm leaning more towards Morty and possibly Gnarlmaws to block movement.

I have found a Spartan quite nice for killing knights especially with Quad lascannons able to do some serious damage to them, I also put some Death Shroud plus plague marines i (usually with meltas and some of the plague weapons) inside with an arch contaminator he which can really help finish off a wounded knight

Though the Spartan is a huge point sink and can be targeted quite easily unless you have some other distraction units

Blight Bombardment reads "You can use this Stratagem just before a friendly Death Guard unit shoots or fires Overwatch;...".

The Termite would hold 2 more, but I don't know with the new Beta rules if you can set it up first turn outside your deployment zone. Potentially your passengers wouldn't disembark till turn 3 at the earliest. I prefer having them able to disembark turn 1.

Blight Bombardment reads "You can use this Stratagem just before a friendly Death Guard unit shoots or fires Overwatch;...".

The Termite would hold 2 more, but I don't know with the new Beta rules if you can set it up first turn outside your deployment zone. Potentially your passengers wouldn't disembark till turn 3 at the earliest. I prefer having them able to disembark turn 1.

"Or" hahaha! I thought it sounded wrong, it was late when I re-read the strategem and was convinced I'd misread it all this time. Sorry for the error.

As BB is back on the table I was thinking 3 blight haulers and a large blob of foot slogging PM's, purifier, lord and blight spawn backed up by a Contemptor and leviathan with poxwalkers and cultists to grab objectives.

Archived