Raptor Revival?

superwill

Hey guys,

As most will know, Fire Raptors were a scourge on the game and were previously so undercosted that they caused uncontrollable eye-rolling. But the once-maligned Big Birds of 40k are often now seen as unusable in the competetive scene. But really, where they once could just slot in any list and be strong, I believe that now they just need to be a bit more intentional and supported to get the most out of them.

I’ve looked at a couple of options for how to get the most out of running 2-3 of them. Three will be too scary for many people because of Boots on the Ground, but even two could be great. Here are the thoughts I’ve had previously:

- Ultras, add Baby Blue (Roboute) and the raptors become even more killy and Tigurius can make one even harder to hit.

- DA can bring the Darkshroud, starting your raptors at -2 to hit!

- RG could work just for cheap Shrike and Lt. Similar auras to ultras but for cheaper.

- Deredeo dread for 5++ aura.

- Skyshield for 5++ and auto heal potential

But I’ve just been looking at DW and believe there are a couple of bonuses on offer here too. I wanted to see whether these are all legal, and to see whether the community has any other ideas to add.

- The relic SS can mean that for the cost of a single watch captain you’re getting your rerolls of 1 to hit, and get the 5++ aura for much cheaper than the deredeo

- Fire raptors don’t have many strats in the other books they can benefit from, but the doctrines can be used to give the extensive raptor weapons cache the +1 to wound. That’s 4 lascannons, 10 avenger bolter shots and 24 heavy bolter shots all at +1 to wound.

If you can think of anything else, I’d love to hear it ☺️

Archived