Who is the oldest known Ork?

grailkeeper

Gazgkull is probably da biggest an tuffest of da orks. But Mad Dok Grotsnik operated on him when he was a puny git. So the MAd Dok is probably older. Is there any Ork in the lore who is older, or known to be the oldest? They'd probably be pretty big.

So I pulled out the old "WAAARGH ORKS" and quickly looked it over. I don't recall any codex saying anything about the lifespan of an Ork, and my quick scan of the ancient tome didn't find anything. I don't know if we have a canon, fluff source for if and when an Ork would die from old age.

Now, if I were to venture to quest, I would put forth that much like basically every other physical trait of an Ork, constant battle would extend/enhance any natural lifespan. All that WAAAGH!!! energy flowing would probably rejuvenate the Ork's cells. So long as an Ork doesn't fall in battle, or find himself in a situation where he can't wage war, I'd assume they can live indefinitely.

So, with that reasoning in mind, it makes sense that Ghazghkull and Grotsnik would still be alive three centuries after we met them on Urk. So, are they the oldest? Well, they probably fall in the realm of the oldest Orks we know of. But we don't know the status of the other Ork named characters (or Grotsnik for that matter; Ghazghkull is the only one who've I've seen named in the new fluff), and it's certainly possible for GW to come up with a new one for whatever narrative they need. With the nature of warp travel, they could even take an older one and throw him into the 42nd millennia.

I don't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall reading something probably 15 or more years ago on ork physiology from a magos biologis that stated they were biologically immortal but their constant warring tended to prevent any of them growing very old. I think it was a single White Dwarf page after a battle report or the like. 

Unless GW made up something out of the blue, I'd say that your guess of  Ghaz and Grotsnik being the oldest living orks is probably accurate. 

• 2 months later...

Archived