Space Marine Chapter Pad Color Schemes

SwashBuccaneer

Does anyone know of a good resource with pictures of the various chapters' colors for shoulder pads?

I'm having a hard time finding a list with pictures of colors on the various pads without know what chapter they are.

Also I'm seeing things like some Space Wolf DW pads being yellow while others being light blue.

Old publications like Insignium Astartes and How to Paint Space Marines have pages full of Chapter schemes. GW have printed various versions of a poster usually called "Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes", which is easy to find scans of online.

Space Wolves have the symbol of their Great Company on their left pauldron, so the symbol and colours vary, and that carries through to their right pauldron in the Deathwatch. The 40k wiki has images of the "current" icons, but they also change when a new Wolf Lord is appointed, so you can do whatever you want really.

The black wolf's head on yellow is Blackmane's Great Company. 3-4 Great Companies have blue fields - the Space Wolf in Kill Team Cassius is Drenn Redblade of Grimblood's Great Company, which used to be the red and yellow Flame Wolf on black, but the Studio painted him with pure red on blue. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be an intentional change or a mistake.

Best way I found is to search Google per pad in the killteam sprue. But I did a quick search and found these pics from this forum infarct.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11505/gallery_60983_11505_188268.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11505/gallery_60983_11505_135157.jpg

Different colours for the Wolfs pads are successor chapters.

Wasn't there thread which detailed all alternative chapter colors the pads in DW box can be painted as? To not have two marines from the same chapter?

Maybe it should be pinned to answer questions such as this?

There's something somewhere because I had the same question 6 months ago. I think I found most of the answers in the codex. But its the other side of the room and I DON'T WANT TO MOVE IN THIS HEAT!

I think those pics show most of them and I think its from the 7th edition codex. My 8th is still in the post :S got to love living in Germany but sending all my stuff to the UK.

A complication is pauldron colours for chapters with complex heraldry are often modified to include their armour colours.

For example, the Howling Griffons are quartered red and yellow, have been shown both ways round (so the left pauldron could be red or yellow), and the old Codex Deathwatch suggested the field should be halved red and yellow, then later shows a model with it quartered.

There's clearly a lot of flexibility in how they honour their original heraldry.

For the Deathwatch sprue, start with the Ultramarines at your top-left, then left to right:

• Ultramarines, white on blue
  • Imperial Fists, black (optionally white roundel) on yellow
    Crimson Fists, red on blue
  • Blood Angels, black on red/yellow on black for a Sergeant or Squad Leader (often red blood drop and white wings on red for Deathwatch)
  • Space Wolves (Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company), black on yellow
    Red Wolves, red on black
  • Dark Angels, white on green
  • Salamanders, white on black
  • Raven Guard, white on black (often but not always inverted for 1st Company veterans)
    Hawk Lords, yellow on purple
    Knights of the Raven, black on white
  • White Scars, red on white (bar inset yellow)
  • Iron Hands, white on black
  • Flesh Tearers, red blood drop and white saw blade on black (or red for Deathwatch)
  • Raptors, white on green, or black on yellow, depending on era
    Mentors, red on white
    Warriors Adept, blue on yellow

Add a lightning bolt shooting from the beak and you have the Storm Hawks (red on white)

Icon probably similar enough/easy to convert for White Consuls (blue on white) and Black Consuls (white on black), which don't have the feathered edge to the neck
  • Novamarines, white on blue
    Sons of Medusa, white on green
    Metamarines, white skull on blue roundel with red halo, on white

Flip the sprue round and on the other side you have:

• Brazen Minotaurs, black on white
    White Minotaurs, white on red
    Taurans, black on bone
  • Silver Skulls, silver on black
  • Brazen Claws, red on blue
    Red Talons, red on black roundel, on red
  • Black Templars, black on white
  • Howling Griffons, black on red, or on yellow (or red/yellow halved/quartered for Deathwatch)
    Knights of Gryphonne, black on orange

Different colours for the Wolfs pads are successor chapters.

Their only known successors are the extinct Wolf Brothers and now the Primaris Wolfspear, neither of which have ever had their livery detailed.

The 5th edition codex suggested squads might vary their Great Company marking with their pack colours (red/yellow for Blood Claws, red/black Grey Hunters, yellow/black Wolf Guard, black/white Long Fangs). I don't recall the Studio ever actually doing it or mentioning it elsewhere.

Wasn't there thread which detailed all alternative chapter colors the pads in DW box can be painted as? To not have two marines from the same chapter?

This one http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325520-getting-the-most-out-of-your-dw-chapter-shoulderpads/

I was just looking at it for my guys

I never knew the Space wolves had no successors, was there a reason for that?

Unstable gene-seed. The Wolf Brothers mutated en masse (presumably the Curse of the Wulfen), so they never tried again.

There have been suggestions in various BL novels that something in Fenrisian genetics, possibly modifications made by the original Dark Age settlers to help them survive the planet, stabilises the Canis Helix and makes Wulfen rare, rather than almost inevitable, when Wolf gene-seed is implanted in the natives.

It was apparently less of an issue when Russ was still around, and Primaris don't (yet) have that problem at all. So with the possibility of more primarchs returning, they might have more successors in future, 

This one http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325520-getting-the-most-out-of-your-dw-chapter-shoulderpads/

I was just looking at it for my guys

This so needs to be pinned.

It was apparently less of an issue when Russ was still around, and Primaris don't (yet) have that problem at all. So with the possibility of more primarchs returning, they might have more successors in future,

What is weird is why Salamanders have so little successors. You can't even blame HH for this because IH and RG were mauled even worse and they have a few dozen...

Discussions about specific Chapters' successors (or lack thereof) can be found in the forums for those Chapters.

You can also see a number of shoulder pads for many obscure Chapters in the Index Astartes Successor Chapters Gallery.

Instead of being pinned, this topic has been added to the Deathwatch Resources topic (which is pinned).

Archived