Ventrillian Nobles

Haha I could always use more zeal for the Emperor! Especially when manifested in the form tank mounted flamethrowers...

Yeah I'm getting bored of blocking in colors on my cavalry. I think I'll take a break and paint a tank! I've honestly been putting it off because it needed a lot of work. It was a bit of a salvage buy. I'll post some pics soon. It's an old chimera chassis with metal conversion bits, which seems odd. Not sure when those were a thing but it looks pretty cool and has served me well so far on the tabletop.

Anyone have experience running the krieg variant? Does it still have d6 shots at 2dmg each? I'm thinking of using it to complete an outrider detachment of death riders but can't decide if I should just run more horses and put this in another detachment.

Thanks Hermit! There's more to come shortly I hope...

Here is a before picture of my hellhound. As mentioned earlier it seems to be a weird hybrid of a plastic chimera chassis and metal upgrade parts. I bought it used for somewhere between 5 and 10 US dollars and I think it's going to end up looking okay once it gets a good paintjob.

gallery_105641_14818_1446345.jpg

The glue on this thing was pretty rough. I filed and scraped as much as I really could and I actually managed to get most of it off. Also there were a few gaps between some of the armor plates that I have (less than expertly) filled with green stuff. I'm hoping a little scraping once it's dry and a nice smooth airbrushing will hide most of the "fixed" areas.

Wish me luck! Any greenstuff tips for the future? I've just realized that I'm terrible at it.

Also, if anyone has any experience painting Ventrillian vehicles I could really use some tips on what colors to use. Judging by the picture below it looks like Peachy is using a dark grey for most of the vehicle hull. Something like Skavenblight dinge and stormvermin fur for highlights? Although now it looks even lighter and slightly greyish blue? Like almost a Russ grey? If you couldn't tell, I really have no idea. Help! I like to stick with GW paints just out of a compulsive need for paint pot uniformity so if you can suggest GW stuff that would be best. Otherwise, I guess I could try and fight the OCD if I really have to.

As a side note, if I'm not allowed to shamelessly copy and paste images from a google search here, I apologize.

42170324284_db1af25e7a_o.jpg

Edited by Expendable_Aquanaut

Hello all,

A special thanks to the more veteran commanders who were able to properly ID my hellhound model! As I mentioned earlier, I purchased it for somewhere between five and ten US dollars and it was in pretty bad shape. Unfortunately I was not able to get all of the glue off of it and there were some significant flaws in its construction. That said, I enjoy the fact that it is kind of a vintage model and I plan on salvaging it as best as I can. Also, this is far from done but I'm going out of town (again!) so I thought I would just post my progress so far before I leave.

Without further delay, I have some WIP shots to share!

gallery_105641_14818_1385700.jpg

I put some squadron markings on the left side of the hellhound and I had a few infantrymen lying about so I added them in for scale purposes. Also because it looks cooler.

Here's the other side...

gallery_105641_14818_815738.jpg

And lastly, a view from the top, with some (more noble than your average Ventrillian) knights!

gallery_105641_14818_1440496.jpg

A couple thoughts:

- I think like the grey but I can't seem to get it to pop. Any ideas?

- I'm not sure it is the exact Ventrillian grey but it seems close enough to what Peachy was using on his sentinels so I'm okay with it.

- Do you think I should paint the turret white instead of grey?

I think it's fine, tanks don't need to mirror the infantry scheme and it's a great way to do something a bit different. See how you feel about the grey after having the model for a while, and don't forget things don't stand in isolation so adding another tank will be a good idea ;)

If you do want to mix the grey up a bit, a white stripe would go far I think. Alternatively some battle damage and weathering will break it up :)

Your hellhound looks great!  The one change I would suggest would be to drill out the barrels on the turret, or to at least paint some black dots there - right now, the promethium has no way to get out. :smile.:

I would leave the turret grey, but if you want to bring a bit more colour to it, I would put the purple and white stripes you have on the side of the hull on the sides of the turret as well.  As well, if you are looking for some more "top appeal", you could bring the  stripes onto the top of the "bulge" they are painted on (so, next to the tracks).

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks for the tips! Please keep them coming.

WarriorFish: I was actually thinking the same thing about the white stripe. I might have to try it. I'm also planning on doing a little bit of weathering on the hull but I'm hoping to keep it to a minimum: these are Ventrillian nobles after all. They likely wouldn't be caught dead with a scratch on their flamethrower tank.

Dr. R.: Good catch! Unfortunately I have misplaced my hand drill but as soon as I find it I'll make sure the prometheum is flowing properly!

Duz: Thanks for the encouragement!

And as a side note, I've been meaning to put these guys together for a while and never got around to it, until now. I know they don't technically have feathers but I think I dig the crazy headgear and it could be absurd enough to work. Let me know what you all think.

gallery_105641_14818_1316119.jpg

Ventrillian scions! The guy on the right is a proof of concept. I think he turned out well enough to follow the same color scheme with the rest of the guys.

Here's a better picture of the proof of concept model:

gallery_105641_14818_1002692.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a few more with the traditional feathery helmets but I like these guys as a command squad - kind of like an honor guard or something for the Lord Commander.

Edited by Expendable_Aquanaut

The helmets sure are over-the-top, but I think they are fine provided you only put them (the closed face ones at lease) to models that are in carapace armour.  In other words, I would keep the closed faced ones for your scions, but the open faced ones would work fine for officers and command squads.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Hello all,

A special thanks to the more veteran commanders who were able to properly ID my hellhound model! As I mentioned earlier, I purchased it for somewhere between five and ten US dollars and it was in pretty bad shape. Unfortunately I was not able to get all of the glue off of it and there were some significant flaws in its construction. 

See, this is what grinds my gears.

Other, more talented people: "Oh no, my model has problems. Oh well, I guess I'll just make it work."

*Reveals something AMAZING*

Me, looking at my hot mess: "Well, ...shoot."

I kid, of course. That hellhound does Him proud and you did an awesome job on it.

Thanks all! Your encouragement makes the daunting task of finishing this army a little more manageable.

Yeah don't worry Dr. R., I only plan on using the crazy helmets on the scions. I feel like Ventrillian scions (at least the command squad variants) should be pretty over the top and the helmets seem to fulfill that requirement!

Also, thanks Nico. The purple is actually just screamer pink highlighted with pink horror. For vehicles and such I do some pre shading (if that's the correct term) with chaos black for all the recesses and ulthuan grey for anything that should be highlighted. I'm trying to keep things simple and not mix any custom colors so that the whole army matches a bit better.

All this painting has got me thinking though: I haven't finished a normal guardsman command squad! I think what's holding me back is that I haven't been able to find a banner that is sufficiently ostentatious. Maybe the grim reaper one from the empire general kit? I'm not sure it entirely fits though. If you all have any suggestions I would definitely appreciate them!

Anyway, I should be getting in a few games next week so I'll try and post some battle reports with everything I've been working on.

As always, thanks for reading!

great work here, i love the pre-shading you do on your vehicles..Airbrush?...

the over the top helmets are a Blast :biggrin.:  and very fluffy for those pompous stuck up nobles ....

" Trooper Fortescue barrington the Third !... For the Emperor's sake Lad,put your helmet back on, the unit's Honor is at stake here...if you die helmet-less ...oh the paperwork i'll need to fill out!... 

++side note++ on peachy's Taurox..it may even be thunderhawk blue?... that's a blue/grey colour too :unsure.:

Cheers, Mithril 

Thanks Mithril! I had a good laugh reading your comment. I may have to name one of the new guys as per your suggestion... That said, I do use an airbrush for vehicle painting. I wasn't sure about it at first but with a little bit of practice I think I've gotten used to it enough to never paint another vehicle solely by hand ever again! It's so much faster and I really like the end result. And you know I was thinking the same thing about the thunderhawk blue. I unfortunately already have three thunderhawk blue tauroxes for my scions though so I'm not sure I really want to paint anything else that color. It also seems to be just a little bit too blue but that could just be attributed to the picture quality. It is close though. And that brings up a good point: I do have another taurox sitting around, unassembled that I should likely build for my nobles. Oh well, I'll put it on the ever growing list of projects.

Speaking of projects... I picked up a little something the other day while I was trawling the internet for cool warhammer stuff. It's a smoke machine!

gallery_105641_14818_619441.jpg

"All right lads, believing in zombies is heresy but so is failing to smite them in the Emperor's name when they inevitably show up. Barrington, you're on point. Do try to keep track of your helmet this time!"

gallery_105641_14818_877425.jpg

I set it up so that flexible tubing runs from the machine into each of the crypts in the photo. Then the smoke just pours out of the crypts like something spooky is happening. I'm a little bit too excited about it. Needless to say, I haven't gotten any painting done since I returned from my trip. This has taken up most of my hobby time.

Anyway, this is hopefully just a sneak peak of more things to come!

Oh, I did forget to mention that this just runs on water and not fog juice so it doesn't leave any film on the miniatures. The only issue is that it does put out a bit of condensation. The neoprene mat seems to be fine with it but I'm not positive that it's okay to get painted plastic wet. Anyone have any experience with this? So far so good but I just don't know how careful to be.

Omg smoke machine no frikken way! Link?

If you've sealed your minis probably no big deal

However I have had rain leave water marks on some of my minis guess it depends how clean the water is? Maybe use distilled water just in case?