Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

I think we should all keep in mind that, though it seems pointless, it is still much faster than any Codex release before it. Bar none. 

If this was 6th or 7th we'd be waiting another full year or two for a new Codex. 

I am happy with the Codex and our updates rules and the points slashes I have seen so far. Though the wolves going up 2 points is silly... but whatever. Little give and take, mostly giving us. 

I think we should all keep in mind that, though it seems pointless, it is still much faster than any Codex release before it. Bar none. 

yeah i think getting all the codexes out in the same year was probably the best move on GW and congrats on them for doing it, but we can honest and say it has not been without big trade offs that supplemental material will have to address

Wait...Keen senses will work for our vehicles? That...that's horrifyingly strong. I may need to pick a couple up!

That is insane... 

I must say the interceptor is looking fantastic. I can see one making it into my list for sure. I'm pretty sure you can only use strats once per phase? Also sweet model!

Potential list for 1500 points

Battalion

HQ

Wolf lord with jump pack (TH/SS) + Armour of Russ or wulfen stone + saga of the hunter if it stays the same

Rune Priest with jump pack (living lightning, fury of wolf spirits)

TROOPS

5xGHs 1xplasma

5xGHs 1xplasma

5xGHs 1xplasma

ELITES

5xwulfen (4xTH/SS, 1x leader /twin claws)

FAST ATTACK

4xTWC (all shields, 1xTH, 1xPower fist)

HEAVY SUPPORT

5xLF (4xlascannons)

FLYERS

stormhawk (las talon, 2xheavy bolters, 2x assault cannons)

stormhawk (las talon, 2xheavy bolters, 2x assault cannons)

Wulfen , thunderwolves, wolf lord, runepriest and stormhawks try to stay together turn one for -1 to hit aura reroll ones to hit, grey hunters footslog. Long fangs hide in ruins providing long range fire support

yeah i think getting all the codexes out in the same year was probably the best move on GW and congrats on them for doing it, but we can honest and say it has not been without big trade offs that supplemental material will have to address

Fair point. Maybe I do not mind it as much, especially the lack of advance in story, because my thought process is they are getting playable/balance Codexs out as fast as possible, focusing on the rules. 

Supplemental material would always come after the Codexs. So people aren't waiting for a new Dex they will give a strong base to modify with CA and other material. The story will be progressed not in a snippet of a Codex like we're used to but through campaigns once everyone has their own Codex. That everyone can kind of get involved in maybe? 

Least that has been my hope. Because I don't know what they would do after the Codex releases other then that, unless they just started the cycle all over again. Then I'd be mad too lol

I think my idea leaves room for the best exploration of the lore/story. Especially that 100 year gap. 

My bad on the points changes, I have not played my wolves since before Chapter approved dropped, I've been too busy playing my Heretic Astartes.

As for reviewers that play Wolves, Ash from Guerilla Miniatures games does, he did a quick review and then a battle report verses Orks to go with it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbO4Vs1vlAA9hz7Ad7IMgug

As far as miniwargaming not knowing about the points changes in Chapter Approved, I wonder if they DID check and just flipped to the back of the book and saw no Space Wolves units listed in the final section and thought "Hmm... I guess they didn't change anything." Because if this wasn't something you did frequently, it would be easy to do that if you were just looking for a specific army's changes and not notice that that final section is all Forge World models. It's the section right before that where all of the "normal" units have their new values listed.

I offer that speculation because even though both of those guys said they hadn't played the Wolves much if any in 8th Edition, they were familiar with all of the new Chapter Approved stuff in the main part of the book. They knew which strategems had been introduced back then and such. And both of them had obviously played Wolves a lot in previous editions - Dave had over 6000 points in Space Wolves a few years ago.

Off topic I know but 8th came out in June of last year did it not? It's still a very hectic release schedule but they didn't get all the codexes out within the year as was promised on the community page.

Fair point. Maybe I do not mind it as much, especially the lack of advance in story, because my thought process is they are getting playable/balance Codexs out as fast as possible, focusing on the rules. 

Supplemental material would always come after the Codexs. So people aren't waiting for a new Dex they will give a strong base to modify with CA and other material. The story will be progressed not in a snippet of a Codex like we're used to but through campaigns once everyone has their own Codex. That everyone can kind of get involved in maybe? 

Least that has been my hope. Because I don't know what they would do after the Codex releases other then that, unless they just started the cycle all over again. Then I'd be mad too lol

I think my idea leaves room for the best exploration of the lore/story. Especially that 100 year gap. 

i think campaigns progressing the story is probably what they have in mind. Many of the books released in the last year were probably written in parallel, even though they were released sequentially.  Editorial direction has them operating under same status quo - universe rifted in two, chaos partying, primaris emerge and imperium strikes back, etc.

It... makes sense. Spend the year intensely setting the stage: Unroll your next generation space marines and edition, get all your players a rule book that gets them playing, set the new status quo for your story, etc. Worry about what comes next, the details, answering the questions, once the big stuff is out of the way. 

Off topic I know but 8th came out in June of last year did it not? It's still a very hectic release schedule but they didn't get all the codexes out within the year as was promised on the community page.

yeah i think they did as well as they could be expected but they did bit off more than they could chew. i still prefer it to the alternative.

What is this wolf spear people keep mentioning by the way? 

Keen senses work on vehicles? Is that a Strat or the chapter tactic?

It's one of the new strategems. It removes any minus to hit. Not sure if it is infantry only or not. 

What is this wolf spear people keep mentioning by the way? 

Keen senses work on vehicles? Is that a Strat or the chapter tactic?

It's one of the new strategems. It removes any minus to hit. Not sure if it is infantry only or not. 

Wolf Spear was created in the novel Dark Imperium as a SW successor chapter to guard some large warp rift. They were made entirely IIRC of Primaris. The codex from what I can tell doesn't mention them at all. Considering the Wolf Spear would be the first non disaster successor chapter of our SW...I am disappointed we learn nothing about them. Even though I hate Primaris those who do like them should have fluff on them in the codex.

Wolf Spear are interesting but I'm not sure the Space Wolves are even aware of them. They were created on a whim by Guilliman from Astartes using Russ' geneseed to guard a location far away from Debris.

Wolf Spear are interesting but I'm not sure the Space Wolves are even aware of them. They were created on a whim by Guilliman from Astartes using Russ' geneseed to guard a location far away from Debris.

I would assume that RG would have notified the Great Wolf that he has been setting up successor Primaris chapters of Space Wolves. SW are unique in that we don't have any successor chapters; the one attempt at doing so was an unmitigated disaster. Finally having one after all these years should have been included in the codex fluff.

I would assume that RG would have notified the Great Wolf that he has been setting up successor Primaris chapters of Space Wolves. SW are unique in that we don't have any successor chapters; the one attempt at doing so was an unmitigated disaster. Finally having one after all these years should have been included in the codex fluff.

I wouldn’t assume what RG would do. ;)

Pretty sure that they had stated that as a goal, not a promise and that is a big difference. That said we got a solid codex after a long wait.

Communication is pretty tough in the middle of a bunch of warp storms. That and Logan is one Chapter Master out of 1000, I'm not sure how worried Guilliman is about his feelings.

Grimnar is the Chapter Master of a First Founding Chapter, one of the more rebellious ones, and one of the most vocal/active when it comes to challenging the Imperium...something tells me that Grimnar is in Guilliman's rolodex

Let's not forget that Fenris was the site of the return of Magnus, and survived. Im sure Guilliman made atleast a text message to receive updates on that. 

There's no doubt it should be in the codex fluff, and the scheme should be on display in the book.

in the review copies shown it does not seem that way. There are only the great companies and no colour scheme is shown of the Wokf Spear.

Which indeed is a really odd omission. A SE successor is a big deal. And a reason to worry for our Chapter. As said last attempt was a failure due to the Cannis Helix and as such unsupervised succesors would mean a lot of tension between the Great Wolf amd Guilliman. Or a reason for celebration as the Sons of Fenris can finally expand theor print. And the Primarch must be aware of the importance for the Wolves. As bad as communications have been, Guilliman was able tondeliver Primaris to the Wolves and Grimnar is in thr top 3 of Chapter Masters in the Impirium (being the second oldest Astartes, the defender of Fenris, Armageddon and Cadia, and Master of one of the most estimeed Chapters in the whole Impirium, since the actions of Logan and thr Soace Wolves to help the people of the Impirium is well known).

Still I may be more bothered about the Great Companies appearing innthe crestsm the Firehowlers and the Ironwolves fell to heroic deaths amd their sagas should be sung. But I feel a missed oppoetunity of just leaving two blank spaces for us to make our Great Companies, as the Lost Legions can be used for Horus Heresy. Let us create our Lore.

And let us equip the damn TDA like the Wolf Guard theybare, flexible units of veterans l, heroes each and every one.

Is there a thread consolidating all known data received from Codex reviews yet or is this it? I’d be happy to start one focused exclusively on compiling known data such as rules and adjusted points costs, but I’m traveling for work this weeekend/week and can’t properly read through/listen to the extant feedback and compile it via my personal cell. Given what I’ve seen/heard, I may abandon my plans to find a GSC player to split the new Tooth and Claw box. I have the Rune Priests, I need a bit more Long Fangs (going for three units who will be camped next to an Ancient and will need another Heavy Bolter and Lascannon or two), I have more Grey Hunters and Blood Claws then I’ll ever use again... just need one more jump pack dude with hammer and shield. The question is how many points will be left for things like TDAWG, Wulfen, Dreads, etc.

Archived