Codex Next Week

lonewolf81

Does anybody know if it is worth getting or is it better to have a digital codex vs hard copy? I mean would the digital copy be updated with erratas via online. I'd hate to get a hard copy of a long awaited codex in print, only to have it fixed/edited a few weeks later through FAQs. I mean sure it happens all the time (eventually), but if I am going to spend $50 Canadian on a codex, I would want to just have that codex. I don't want to have to print out extra paper, or online to double check on rule changes or clarifications while playing against someone. LMAO

Well I am looking forward to seeing new art from the book. Not to mention watching this forum for battle reports, army list and reviews.

Grimnar is the Chapter Master of a First Founding Chapter, one of the more rebellious ones, and one of the most vocal/active when it comes to challenging the Imperium...something tells me that Grimnar is in Guilliman's rolodex

Let's not forget that Fenris was the site of the return of Magnus, and survived. Im sure Guilliman made atleast a text message to receive updates on that. 

Well that did happen before the Eldar woke him up timeline wise (and Magnus did fight him on his way to terra). The rifts also make communication really difficult, I'm not sure if Ashes of prospero covered how the wolves were notified of Primaris in the first place or not (I don't like how Gav writes marines so I passed on that book). But for the most part it seems like Guilliman isn't that concerned about how most chapter masters feel about what he tells them is happening (poor Calgar).

Plus to be brutally honest he isn't Dante who leads a 1st founding with a bunch of loyal successors. That isn't to say Guilliman wouldn't like Grimnar he seemed to like the wolves from Unremembered Empire, I just don't know if he is worried about what he thinks.

Does anybody know if it is worth getting or is it better to have a digital codex vs hard copy? I mean would the digital copy be updated with erratas via online. I'd hate to get a hard copy of a long awaited codex in print, only to have it fixed/edited a few weeks later through FAQs. I mean sure it happens all the time (eventually), but if I am going to spend $50 Canadian on a codex, I would want to just have that codex. I don't want to have to print out extra paper, or online to double check on rule changes or clarifications while playing against someone. LMAO

Well I am looking forward to seeing new art from the book. Not to mention watching this forum for battle reports, army list and reviews.

there will be errors and be FAQed in a week or two. It has happened to all the codices.amd itnwill happen to ours. It is possible that we even get a first day change, since the review copies do not have the Sagas as described. If that is a deal breaker to you, consider the online version. I just enjoy havin a paoer version (and I will actually probably get the Collector's edition because I enjoy those things)

one quick question if I did not get the codex could I still run using the imperian index 1 so my shield dreads still have the 3++ save or will GW issue an faq to over ride them. IE I know I will lose all the new strats and relics but still get to keep the stuff I current use ?

one quick question if I did not get the codex could I still run using the imperian index 1 so my shield dreads still have the 3++ save or will GW issue an faq to over ride them. IE I know I will lose all the new strats and relics but still get to keep the stuff I current use ?

I think the answer is - if it isn't in the book use index so the short answer is no I think... You might be ok at your club if you have one.

So slowly watching through a review. Is it me or does 15 bloodclaws with flamers and Lukas (+1 to wound) in a stormwolf sound extremely deadly?

Hitting on 2+ for the initial attack.

Wounding on 3+ vs T4 enemies

32x S4 attacks, 47x on initial charge (not including Lukas attacks)

So slowly watching through a review. Is it me or does 15 bloodclaws with flamers and Lukas (+1 to wound) in a stormwolf sound extremely deadly?

I’m thinking of similar but out flanking the bloodclaws with a unit of wulfen and having a jump pack WGBL to give them all rerolls 1 to wound. Means the blood claws also get the wulfen buffs and I don’t need to spend a CP to outflank Lukas. Not had much luck in my fliers being reliable transports for combat units historically so trying something different.

I’m also planning to take a both a bloodclaw pack leader and wolf guard pack leader with fists/hammers. With wulfen buffs they would each have 4 attacks on the charge hitting on 3+, strength 8 and reroll 1 to wound.

Totally. I could see that second unit of wulfen in the second stormwolf being subbed out for bloodclaws with lukas. 

Each dude getting 4 attacks (wulfen or HQ with wulfenstone nearby) on the charge is brutal. 52-56 + 4-8 power fist/thunder hammer attacks is drool worthy. Definitely something to consider. Also makes our skyclaws even better, a unit that was always a favourite of mine. 

I’m thinking of similar but out flanking the bloodclaws with a unit of wulfen and having a jump pack WGBL to give them all rerolls 1 to wound. Means the blood claws also get the wulfen buffs and I don’t need to spend a CP to outflank Lukas. Not had much luck in my fliers being reliable transports for combat units historically so trying something different.

I’m also planning to take a both a bloodclaw pack leader and wolf guard pack leader with fists/hammers. With wulfen buffs they would each have 4 attacks on the charge hitting on 3+, strength 8 and reroll 1 to wound.

That's 450+ payload for a strike team, seems expensive. What would you field on turn one?

Just a reminder that to benefit from the +1 attack from the Wulfen you need to be outside of 12" during the charge with the Blood Claws if you want that 4 attacks on first turn of combat. Which can be very tough to do unless your opponent leaves two gaps for deep strike near each other

Grimnar is the Chapter Master of a First Founding Chapter, one of the more rebellious ones, and one of the most vocal/active when it comes to challenging the Imperium...something tells me that Grimnar is in Guilliman's rolodex

Let's not forget that Fenris was the site of the return of Magnus, and survived. Im sure Guilliman made atleast a text message to receive updates on that. 

Well that did happen before the Eldar woke him up timeline wise (and Magnus did fight him on his way to terra). The rifts also make communication really difficult, I'm not sure if Ashes of prospero covered how the wolves were notified of Primaris in the first place or not (I don't like how Gav writes marines so I passed on that book). But for the most part it seems like Guilliman isn't that concerned about how most chapter masters feel about what he tells them is happening (poor Calgar).

Plus to be brutally honest he isn't Dante who leads a 1st founding with a bunch of loyal successors. That isn't to say Guilliman wouldn't like Grimnar he seemed to like the wolves from Unremembered Empire, I just don't know if he is worried about what he thinks.

In Ashes of Prospero:

As far as I remember, an Ultramarines Primaris Lieutenant is dispatched to Fenris with the Primaris Space Wolves, and remains at the Fang.

Guest Triszin

In Ashes of Prospero:

As far as I remember, an Ultramarines Primaris Lieutenant is dispatched to Fenris with the Primaris Space Wolves, and remains at the Fang.

I think you are correct?

that primaris ultra seems to be a direct point of contact to the tetrachs, robby and mary sue blue

Looking a bit better at the new things: 

The best stratagem is keen senses, works on every spacewolves unit (also vehicles ) and removes only penalties to hit , so you keep the + modifiers to hit. 

Longfangs rerolling 1s to hit and using wolfs eye for rerolling wounds ar super solid as stationary long range fire support and stormhawk interceptor with keen senses hitting on 3s after moving and on 2s units with fly and also being -1 to hit is very good as mobile fire support (2 las cannon shots, 12 assaut cannon shots and 6 heavy bolter shots for 189 points is nice).

Using wolfkin warlord trait + relic wulfen stone you will be able to give thunderwolves +2 attacks making them pretty scary cause they combine anti horde (mount attacks and chainsword attacks) with heavy hitting (thunder hammers 4 attacks regular thunderwolf, 5 attacks the pack leader hitting on 3s with rerolls to hit from wolf lord and reroll 1s to wound from stratagem)

Wolf lords with jump packs with  TH/SS are very hard hitters and great buffers with reroll ones to hit and maybe a second aura ability with the new deeds we will see. Also the stratagem who lets you reroll wounds for bigger power level targets is super strong. 

Rune priests are also very cool providing an additional smite (living lightning) with the possibility of jumping to another target and can make great synergy with thunderwolves, wolf lord, flyers creating a blob of -1 to hit and +1 to save with storm caller. Also if a unit arriving from deepstrike is visible from the priest you can intercept it with a flyer next to him with chooser of the slain stratagem.

Also imagine wulfen coming at you with +1 attack with TH/SS and -1 to hit from runepriest 's stratagem , hitting on 3s with rerolls from wolf lord or wolf priest, ouch!!!

All in all not that bad cause they gave as nice shooty option and they boosted melee also. I know we didnt get a mobility strat for charge turn 1 but we didnt get bad rules

Marines still fight an uphill battle but i think we are in a lot better place than vanilla, dark angels and blood angels cause we do shooting and melee equaly good

Cheers !!!

May I ask what review you saw that gives Lukas the +1 to wound. From what I remember of SS82's Lukas gives rerolls of 1 s to wound making him a worse WGBL.

If it in the Codex you have to use the datasheet in the codex. So no you can't still use the 3++ Dread

Has anyone else noticed from the reviews of the codex that the Heroic deeds froom the sagas aren’t in there?

It seems a glaring oversight that none of the 4 youtubers even mentioned them. The youtubers I watched that didn’t mention anything about the deeds were, winter seo, strikingscorpion, miniwargaming, and BellofLostSouls.

Did I miss something? Can anyone point it out?

Here is the answer for the moment, i guess we have some more rules coming :smile.:

The strange thing is that Simon in the batrep in warhammer TV had the right rules in his dex because saga of majesty gave +3" for aura abilities and not immune to morale like the previewers had in their dexes, or am i wrong? Anyone else rember the batrep

Also saga of the hunter as aura abilty with +2 cover from storm caller and advance + charge ,  one can always dream :)

https://imgur.com/a/gEIo2nf

Has anyone else noticed from the reviews of the codex that the Heroic deeds froom the sagas aren’t in there?

It seems a glaring oversight that none of the 4 youtubers even mentioned them. The youtubers I watched that didn’t mention anything about the deeds were, winter seo, strikingscorpion, miniwargaming, and BellofLostSouls.

Did I miss something? Can anyone point it out?

Simon Grant said the review copies and apparently the print copies we're going to get don't have the correct warlord traits about the sagas. There was supposed to be a warhammer community update about it sometime this upcoming week.

Oh good!

Saga of the Hunter is the one I am most interested in.

Not sure how competitive it would be but I am thinking of a Rune Priest with that saga, Armor of Russ, the cover save and 6 attacks at str5 psychic power.

Key thing was it sounded like the wording was just "in the shooting phase". So not beginning or "when unit selected to shoot" etc. so we can use it in responce to lightning fast reflexes or the like.

Otherwise what were you looking to pin down word wise?

Also, I played a 6000 point game with about 2k of wolves in my force (the rest were dark angels, ultramarines with bobby G, and a knight) vs death guard plus 4 renegade knights.

I used as many of the new rules for SW's as has been officially announced. 

My rune priests performed exceptionally well, the -1 to hit stratagem is absolute gold and murderous hurricane just tears through hordes. Living lightning is brutal against characters and plague marine squads (or any expensive 1W units), I successfully killed two malignant plaguecasters with one cast thanks to the living storm stratagem granting d6 mortal wounds.

long fangs performed very well, the ability to re-roll 1's to hit and all wound rolls is fantastic on las cannons, they did terrible things to an opposing knight.

However I will see some issues at smaller points values because SW's do seem to want to spend a ton of command points.

Archived