Chapter Tactics beneficial to Devastators?

Although the long fangs do look good on paper, they are still a pretty heavy CP commitment to get the most out of them and squad size limit means you will start hurting after three casualties. 

How are they a heavy CP commitment? It's just 1CP Stratagems and if you don't face any negative hit modificators then you don't even have to use one of the Stratagems. If you don't have the CP pool to spend at least one CP per turn on your main shooty unit you made some mistakes writing your list I'd say. Marines don't have as many CP as Astra Militarum but they aren't THAT CP starved lol

Also

And yes, you could use the stratagem on long fangs to outflank them, but less units you have on the board, the easier it is for the opponent to focus fire on the units that are on the board. 

Uhm yeah? That counts for everything with reserve rules. Somehow it's still considered a good thing. Probably because you put the important things in reserve so they don't take the heat before they can act and let your opponent chew on the tougher things like tanks and stuff and less important things like Troop choices meanwhile. :wink:

Although the long fangs do look good on paper, they are still a pretty heavy CP commitment to get the most out of them and squad size limit means you will start hurting after three casualties. 

How are they a heavy CP commitment? It's just 1CP Stratagems and if you don't face any negative hit modificators then you don't even have to use one of the Stratagems. If you don't have the CP pool to spend at least one CP per turn on your main shooty unit you made some mistakes writing your list I'd say. Marines don't have as many CP as Astra Militarum but they aren't THAT CP starved lol

For sure we have enough CP for a few tricks ;) 

But look, outflanking is 1 CP per squad and then keen senses is another CP (since when the unit comes on feild, you count as having moved). 

Also, we are talking of adding devastators as an allied detachment so the options are: 

• auxiliary detachment (probably the worst choice since that costs another CP and you don't have access to stratagems)
  • patrol (no extra CP and you have a troop and HQ tax)
  • Spear head, by far the most suitable choice but requires 3 units of long fangs, thus 3 CPs to outflank them and 1CP for keen senses (3CPs total if you account for the one you get with the spearhead)

I'm not saying that long fangs are bad, but at the end of the day, they are just bolter bros with a fancy name (sorry if this angers space wolves player here). Let's not let the new codex hype give us too much bias.

As for troop choices being less important, one could argue that deep strike denial is just as important as fire power ! 

I can't speak for everyone but I almost always run Devastators in teams of 6, and most of the guys at my FLGS take some ablative wounds as well.  6 devs with 3 heavy weapons is perfect for a Razorback (if you decide you want to embark them) or to just sit back and shoot. 

Do Long Fangs get the benefit of a Signum and/or Armorium Cherub?

I can't speak for everyone but I almost always run Devastators in teams of 6, and most of the guys at my FLGS take some ablative wounds as well. 6 devs with 3 heavy weapons is perfect for a Razorback (if you decide you want to embark them) or to just sit back and shoot.

Do Long Fangs get the benefit of a Signum and/or Armorium Cherub?

No, they get to choose a unit in the shooting phase and re-roll hit rolls on 1.

Sorry to be dense, but can you unpack that a bit more?

-They get to choose one of their own friendly units which rerolls any hit rolls of 1?

or

-They get to choose an enemy unit, and against that one enemy unit, the Longfangs (or any other units?) get to reroll hit rolls of 1 when shooting against them?

-They get to choose one of their own friendly units which rerolls any hit rolls of 1?

or

-They get to choose an enemy unit, and against that one enemy unit, the Longfangs (or any other units?) get to reroll hit rolls of 1 when shooting against them?

If all models in a Long Fang unit shoot at the same target they can re-roll hit rolls of 1.

or

If all models in a Long Fang unit shoot at the same target they can re-roll hit rolls of 1.
No requirement to shoot at the same target. You might be thinking of the index.

“Fire Discipline: At the start of each of your Shooting phase, puck one enemy unit on the Battlefield. You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 of any models from this unit that target the enemy unit you pucked this phase.”

Archived