HH: Two Metaphysical Blades ( Russ, Valdor)

Triszin

ah ok, so it’s more a reader theory than anything else.

i like it, but i wouldn’t put too much importance on the names gw comes up with for stuff. sometimes it’s just a bit of postmodern fun (like niceae). just because garro piloted the eisenstein doesn’t mean he was meant to go on to invent the montage

Yeah, it's just another of those pieces of wishful thinking that have been circling Russ like vultures for the past two years or so, along with him going full werewolf for a plastic GW release, or becoming tainted by Chaos enough to turn traitor.

which is totally cool, i love hearing people's pet theories and wish lists...it just gets confusing when its presented as being explicitly published.

I mean, the spear is actually Dionysian. There's a lot of Odin imagery with russ, but it's real name is a throw back to philosophy and Greek gods; gungnir is an admittedly borrowed name by some warp induced vision quest.

yeah that's the thing, it's clear as crystal that russ has a lot of norse mythology influence as well as the werewolf stuff. but that was/is 40k; it's a postmodern hodgepdge of disparate elements that somehow works really well as a whole. the whole thing is a like a big pop culture melting pot.

on topic: i'm a little over magical weapons, personally. though, if the intent of their creation is right, it gives some clue to the emp's ethics or morals.

The ‘Russ should have been called Odin’ idea is interesting though. Horus is the only (?) primarch named after a god, but do we know how he got his name? Maybe they were all supposed to be named after gods, but only Horus ended up so. Perhaps because he was the first to be found by the Emperor, and hadn’t been running around for years/decades with another name already.

well, fulgrim is named for an in-universe god iirc

Maybe Apollonian and Dionysian are metaphorical names, "The thing is the word,  if you know the word, then you can  control the thing"

Everyone new the spear as the "Apollonian spear" talked about openly, but what if that was not it's true name?

Apollonian and Dionysian are more title than name. Everything has a True Name, we know the name of Russ' spear, now what do you think of for Valdor's 

The spear's sleep but who knows when they will awaken.

Maybe Apollonian and Dionysian are metaphorical names, "The thing is the word,  if you know the word, then you can  control the thing"

Everyone new the spear as the "Apollonian spear" talked about openly, but what if that was not it's true name?

Apollonian and Dionysian are more title than name. Everything has a True Name, we know the name of Russ' spear, now what do you think of for Valdor's 

The spear's sleep but who knows when they will awaken.

Well, a lot of the philosophical leaning of Apollonian and Dionysian is about what each represents.

Apollonian always has themes in order, logic, structure and perfection; Dionysian in contrast is instinctual, wild and sometimes destructive.

Without the names you'd always associate the first with valdor and the second with russ. Those are their True Names, since each is closely associated with it's wielder's nature.

This was phenomenal...very flavourful short and really illuminates the nature of both Spears of the Emperor.

Valdor's Spear is much more of burden IMO than Russ'

It is, in a way.

Custodes are "Perfect Biological beings" for humans.

- so the emperor made the spear to knock down the sense of superiority a peg or two, so valdor understands who he fights for.

Russ lies, when he said he never used the spear when talking to valdor

- as these events I think take place after wolfsbane.

- Russ was stabbed with the spear, and the truths of the primarchs revealed to him

- russ stabbed horus with the spear, and got to talk to his old brother once more

I think both bear the same weight to the masters, they just show it differently.

I think the emperor made them, as a safeguard to keep his more important tools inline.

When Valdor strikes someone, he is illuminated/burdened with the "soul-story" of the person struck. He has struck down thousands with his spear.

When Russ strikes someone, the person struck is illuminated/burdened with some powerful truth.

If I had to wield one of the spears, I'd probably pick Russ'

When Valdor strikes someone, he is illuminated/burdened with the "soul-story" of the person struck. He has struck down thousands with his spear.

When Russ strikes someone, the person struck is illuminated/burdened with some powerful truth.

so what if a primarch holds both spears...

Stabs himself int he food with apollonian, and stabs himself in the other foot with gungir.

what does he see?

so what if a primarch holds both spears...

Stabs himself int he food with apollonian, and stabs himself in the other foot with gungir.

what does he see?

He sees two bloody feet...ouch

The ‘Russ should have been called Odin’ idea is interesting though. Horus is the only (?) primarch named after a god, but do we know how he got his name? Maybe they were all supposed to be named after gods, but only Horus ended up so. Perhaps because he was the first to be found by the Emperor, and hadn’t been running around for years/decades with another name already.

sorry, but no. Fulgrim is named after an in-universe god. Vulkan is named after the black Smith god.

Chris Wraight has pipped the #1 spot for the BL Author, everything he touches is instant gold. Plus, he dresses to kill.

I wouldn't mind if Wraight's WS Siege novel (hope there is one) and French's IF Siege novel (there most likely will be one) heavily feature supporting characters from the other two legions

Read it this morning while having breakfast. Couldn't lay it down until I was finished.

What a great one. I loved every bit. The backgroundstory of both spears. Those little blurbs about Valdor's past and especially his relation to Russ.

Until now, I always thought (mostly due to Inferno and other previously stories) that they'd despise each other. Now, they not only respect / accept each other but rather have more in common than meets the eye. Two images of the same mirror, if you want. Both eternaly loyal to the Emperor in their own ways.

And the ending was superb. Just when Russ decided to go (or rather was convinced that it is time to go by a vision maybe?), Valdor got a Fenris vibe and knows that it is time to go, as well.

Did I get it right that Valdor left the spear on Terra behind? Why was it said that one stayed on Terra and the other one on Fenris? Russ left his on that shrine world or did someone take it and placed it there after his departure?

Damn.... a roadtrip story featuring both of them within the Eye or both emerging from the warp together is now on my top of my fanboy wishlist. :biggrin.:

As others have said great story and writing, but....

Is this the first official confirmation that Valdor survives the heresy and of his eventual fate?If so ( i might very well have missed something in another work) why spoil it before the siege? 

Is this the first official confirmation that Valdor survives the heresy and of his eventual fate?If so ( i might very well have missed something in another work) why spoil it before the siege?

I’m pretty sure we knew Valdor survived the heresy before now.

I’m pretty sure we knew Valdor survived the heresy before now.

It's in the Custodes Codex aswell.

Valdor was the first Captain-General and laid his title to rest sometime after the Scouring. I think it's even hinted at that he went wandering and became one of the Agents of the Emperor, similiar to other Custodes when they "retire"

The link to the disappearance of Russ of course was not in it.

Chris Wraight has pipped the #1 spot for the BL Author, everything he touches is instant gold. Plus, he dresses to kill.

I wouldn't mind if Wraight's WS Siege novel (hope there is one) and French's IF Siege novel (there most likely will be one) heavily feature supporting characters from the other two legions

Wraight has to do the Morty vs Khan duel at the Spacesport, it will be amazing.

My very first thought while reading this story was that Ragnar hit Magnus with this spear, which would have been a *great* opportunity to use that moment as a way of finally healing Magnus' division and the loss of part of himself. In my head, Magnus' roar of pain was his reaction to realizing what he had become, thanks to the spear. But then, I always thought good/conflicted Magnus was far more interesting than a cackling "Muhahaha" demon wizard.

Archived