100th Drookian Fenriders - A Cavalry Company

Minigiant

That's a LOT of mold channels you'll have to cut off and then file down. Good luck.

Will you also make Denizens of the Deep models?

Yeah a lot of printing supports to remove, hopefully it will be worth it.

I have some Denizens of the Deep models in progress (True Scale)

I just discovered your thread. Love the cavalry idea and execution, and the recent gas mask dogs are a great addition .

Thank you very much

great army. I had a biker heavy guard army but now no rough riders in the :censored: codex.

I don't play so that is of little concern to me :whistling:

Love the models, always liked seeing cavalry conversions! 

There are definitely not enough out there for sure

That's a LOT of mold channels you'll have to cut off and then file down.

Always over support! :biggrin.:

The dogs are just lovely, great fit for the army.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

22153841-Command-Squad.jpg

I have finally gotten around to converting 84% of my command squad

1.The Commissar

The commissar has had a cloak added (mainly to disguise the conversion work done in the body swap), and a fur connector to disguise the join. A servo skull has been added, as well as a stand alone rebreather, and hunting lance sheath to tie them into the squad

2. The Officer

Has a bonnet to further tie in with the Scottish routes of the regiment, a power sword, a lance and personal banner, and a few pieces of additional equipment

3. The Standard Bearer

The simplest conversion. A banner in place of the hunting lance, and a sword for combat. Added rank insignia on the left shoulder

4. The Navigator

Reading a map, and uses his binoculars. Hunting Lance is stored on the back of the horse. Rank insignia added.

5. Medic

I decided the medic would not carry a hunting lance, so instead is carrying a standard lasgun. In addition I thought they would be required to carry more equipment than the others so I added a bit more stowage to the mount, as well as added the medic symbol to the left shoulder

6. Horn blower (Vox) – WIP

See below for more information

26003506-Commissar-2.jpg
69004703-Commissar.jpg
83481044-Officer.jpg
17825463-Standard.jpg
76424974-Navigator.jpg
86004188-Medic.jpg

Where can I find a Horn?

You may have noticed I didnt share any individual photo of the Horn blower, that is because I have misplaced (Ed: LOST!) the horn I was intending to use on him. I thought the horn works well with cavalry and can count as a vox-caster, as well as can be used to control the dogs.

Unfortunately I have no idea where my piece originated so I am hoping someone can offer some suggestions to a replacement. I was certain the original was an WFB Empire piece but, have trawled the GW website I have had no luck in tracking it down

45818728-Horn-blower-WIP.jpg

That lasrifle on the medic is hanging wrong for more than two reasons.  I suggest flipping it 180° with the butt towards the rider.  Other than that you have a very good-looking and unique army.

Haha, I come to update and your suggestion is exactly what I have done. Not because of any reason though other than I improved the stowage on the medic, and the lasrifle now fits better that way

UPDATE

43995733-Montage.jpg

A very kind individual close to me managed to source a few horns from the Empire/Freeguild range in just a couple of days, so I have been able to get this finished promptly.

43705221-Company-Commander.jpg

72348350-Commissar.jpg

67082849-Banner-Bearer.jpg

26381408-Horn-blower.jpg

96142434-Medic.jpg

32636796-Navigator.jpg

What is next?

Next up, I am converting/scratch building a fair few to guns to count as heavy weapon teams. Taking these as inspiration

31190898-Cavalry-Tow-Gun-idea.jpg

40651065-Cavalry-Tow-Gun-idea-2.jpg

Nice update:thumbsup: . Have your (scottish :smile.:?) space seen play already?

Thank you. No they haven't. I haven't had a chance to play in a few years now

I cannot wait to see these painted! And I really hope you do a mass cavalry charge on some poor opponent and post it!!! 

I cannot wait to paint these either. As soon as the tow guns are made, painting on this company will begin, I just hope by that time I have a colour scheme sorted.

P.S As I don't play, I can certainly stage a cavalry charge for you

It was suggested to me that my dogs were on the slightly chunky side, and after having a few days to think it over, as well as seeing someone else's work in printing them smaller. I decided to print them again, at 85% the size

People have asked where I got them from, I downloaded the file from Thingiverse, here.

44016399-Dogs-1.jpg
88820698-Dogs-2.jpg
72842984-Dogs-3.jpg
60007407-2-Good-boys.jpg
17586812-Size-comparison.jpg

• 1 month later...
Tow Gun Progress Part 1

59067897-Cavalry-Tow-Gun-idea-2-636.jpg

I am excited to say today I can show a sneak peak of what is being worked on. Doing an all cavalry army would get a little boring if it would only be made of only one squad, in this instance Rough Riders. Therefore other squads are being converted to incorporate the cavalry element of my army.

Heavy Weapon Teams are the first to get said treatment, after all it quite clearly said it in the 3rd edition rulebook

21061347-Heavy-Weapons-Highlighted-636.p

Now I am certainly made enough to do such a thing.

Despite my best efforts and some valiant attempts I found it rather difficult to create such a conversion, that would be easily replicated. Therefore I reached out to Maarten van der Zalm, a miniature designer to create the trailer and gun in CAD so that it may be 3D printed and easily replicated.

I now have a few sample shots of what we (mainly he) have been working on.

Please while you are here, take a look at his Shapeways Shop Youbreakityoubuyit

It will mean a lot to me if you can support him

75908658-ss-2019-12-18-at-10.58.46.png
22192065-ss-2020-01-13-at-03.00.47.png
72470762-ss-2019-12-18-at-10.58.06.png
96017708-ss-2020-01-13-at-02.59.12.png

The design eerily resembles the Death Korp aesthetics to match well with the rest of my army. The ammo cart will have a removable lid, inside of which will have magnetisable inserts, each one corresponding to the heavy weapon in tow. Ammo Drums for Autocannons, Power Packs for Lascannons etc

As always I hope you have enjoyed, and I look forward to reading any comments you may have

See you soon

Oh this looks fun, keep it up!

Thank you

40k Willys Jeep

78805723-20200115_203311-770.jpg

While the CAD Files for the Tow Guns are being worked on by someone else, I have had some time to pursue a side project that I have wanted to do for a very long time; A 40k Willys Jeep.

Now the use of Scale Miniatures in 40k has always been met with mixed results. They suffer from scale issues, and not being

I am in love with that Jeep conversion, it's an inspired one and well executed.

Thank you very much. I shared it across a few platforms and I have received more praise for it than I had ever expected. I always thought Scale Model to 40k Conversions were disliked

Excited to see how the towed artillery works out too.

You know what, so am I

Edited by Minigiant