Your record with IK so far

Feral_80

Played against a Smurfs jetpack list and sisters patrol with celestine.

My list was

Raven

Castellan, Cawl's Wrath + Ion Bulwark

2 Helverins

Krast

Gallant, Landstrider + Sainted Ion

2 Warglaives

Stygies battallion

2x Enginseers

5 rangers

5 Rangers w/ 2 arquebus

10 vanguard w/ 3 plasma

Trashed my opponent. I told him to bring AT, so he bought a grand total of 4 lascannons, some thunderhammers and melta bombs. Absolute bloodbath. Gallant murdered celestine with death grip, trashed a squad of sisters and assault marines, the Castellan killed a Smurf smash captain, smash lieutenant, jump librarian, scouts, and vanguard vets.

My crusader tore trough an enenmy dar eldar army last monday,he even oneshot the archon with the gatling despite his2++

Another 1k game vs tau today, i took the iron relic. He jumped into the deployment zone turn1 and smushed like 800 pts and bagged 5 of the 8 vp.

Crusader with gatling/termal 11/10

So did a small tounament at my local GW. Rules were as follows:

Force: Battleforged 750 pts
Deployment: hammer and anvil on 2'x4' boards
Objectives: Maestrom with three objectives - 1(4), 2(5), 3(6)
Time Limit - 1.5 hrs per round, four rounds.

Considering where I'm posting you can guess what I brought :wink:

SHD (House Taranis)
Warden - WL, Reaper chainsword, heavy stubber, 'Endless Fury', Ion Bulwark
Warglaive - Thermal Spear, heavy stubber, reaper chain-cleaver
Helverin - Helverin autocannon x2, heavy stubber

Of the ten players we had a nice selection:

2 Drukari (homoculus and wych coven)
Tau
2 Necrons
Grey Knights
Imperial Knights
Aeldari (wraithguard)
2 Blood Angels

Went 3-1, being dropped from 1st by the guy that went 4-0, using Drukari homoculus. By points I tied with the aeldari player, but since I beat him (spoilers) I took second.

First bout:
Necrons
3 Immortal squads (one with tesla)
6 man destroyer squad
Overlord
Cryptek

Took two turns to wipe out the destroyers. He did manage to take out the warglaive with focused fire. The warden stompped out the infantry though was dropped to half wounds by the overlord. Tabled him turn four.

Second bout:
Blood Angels
Smash Capt
Death company chaplin w/Jumppack
3 squads of death company w/jumppacks

This guy was not happy to see me. He held back a squad and the chaplin, rest on the board. Turn one I wiped out a squad and half another. the capt moves to take an objective while the rest of the squad assaults my forward placed warglaive and are wiped out.

Turn two the captain dies to helverin fire and the rest arrive during his turn and reassult the warglaive, he scores a few wounds, but not enough. The warglaive breaks off for an objective while the helverin wipes last of the new squad and the warden engages in a dual with the chaplin.

Didn't end well for the guy.

Thrid bout
Aeldari
Spritseer
3 squads of wraithguard
7 man dire avenger squad

He holds two of the wraithguard in the webway (using 3 of his 4 CP for this) and places the rest in cover.

To his credit I only manage to take a avenger and two wraithguard down in shooting.

Turn two sees the warglaive assault the dire avengers and the warden takes on the last two wraithguard, the helverin only dropping one.

He then drops his two squads in my deployment zone and is taken apart between the helverin and warden. His tabled by turn four.

So those wraithcannons.... yeah. Of 10 times he wounded me he got a total of 11 wounds. I'm not kidding his dice were just gone that game unless it was a save needed.

Final bout
Drukari
2 homocului
2 10 man wrack squads
1 5 man wrack squad
2 talos w/haywire
1 talos w/splinter cannons

So while my opponents' dice tanked during my last game, my dice decided it was thier turn.

While I dropped a talos a turn for two turns, his homoculus and elctrowhips just ripped me apart. he did little in shooting, it was all in close combat, I never made a single save. Not one.

So overall a nice turn out. :P

Took my Gallant and two Warglaives along to a narrative weekend event, and they were awesome.

List was the 3 knights as House Krast (Gallant had Landstrider WL Trait, Krast relic (+1 DMG to anything with 10+ wounds)). 

Supporting AdMech Metalica Battalion - 3 x Vanguard Plasma squads, 2 x Neutron Onagers, 2 x Techpriests (1 big, 1 small), Infiltrator Squad.

Culexus assassin and Greyfax in support.

The Gallant absolutely wrecked face. I don't think he failed to make combat T1 in a single of the 5 games. Warglaives were excellent too, they were clearing out GEQs and even took on a squad of Custodes jetbikes (and won).

Two games stood out as particularly interesting: First one was against Custodes jetbikes (x 10), with Allarus and "regular guy" support. They removed all my infantry on their first turn but didn't charge. The Gallant hit them like a wrecking ball on my turn, wiped a squad of bikes. He eventually killed off another squad, their banner guy, their warlord (on bike) and another HQ over the next few turns of combat. The Warglaives held off another bike squad and killed them, before falling to a squad of Allarus terminators. I lost on points, but if we'd had another turn to play I would probably have tabled him.

Final game was against Night Lords - he had 3 x marine squads, a Renegade knight, a Daemon Prince, a Raptor squad (with melta), 10 x Berzerkers in a Rhino ,a Heldrake and a sorceror. His first turn was fairly ineffective, burned up my Enginseer but little else. My turn, the Gallant moved something like 30" and hit his front line. Killed 8 Raptors and death gripped the sorceror into a hamburger. He countercharged next turn, took 16 wounds off the Gallant with his Prince (ouch) but I interrupted and punched his Knight for 28 wounds. Gallant died shortly thereafter, but it broke the back of his army and he conceded a few turns later. 

I feel like the Knights were far and away the best performing part of my army. AdMech alone have lost fairly consistently for me, but that Gallant can just be pointed at something and it dies. Warglaives, too, although people don't think they're as good as Helverins, really performed excellently. Between the three of them I can force the opponents back into their deployment zone, while my infantry spread out and control everything else. 

Love the knights!

• 3 weeks later...

Just yesterday I played my fourth game in a row against another pure Knight list and pulled a fourth win. Each time it's been mostly two identical lists, this time I was facing a Castellan, Warden, Errant and two Warglaives, with my list consisting of a Crusader, Warden, Errant and two Warglaives. He was running house Terryn, I was running Vulker. We both started the game with 9 CP, though I spent one to give my Warden the relic Endless Fury and my Crusader took Ion Bulwark and the relic Icarus Autocannon. He took Ion Bulwark and the Helm of the Nameless Warrior on his Castellan.

In deployment he went first and put down his two warglaives to my far left so my first drop put my Warden on my far right. I was intentionally trying to make him string out his deployment and leave his Warglaives too far out to engage for at least a turn. I followed up with my Crusader next to the Warden, the errant a little closer to the middle and the warglaives in the very far right corner. My entire army was bunched on my right while my opponent had spread out. His Warden went closer to his Warglaives, his Castellan more on my right and the Errant to my far right. This left his army strung out and unable to support itself.

I managed to win the roll for first turn even though he had the bonus for finishing his deployment first and turn one I focused fire and shot his Errant off the board. I also put seven or eight wounds on his Warden. His Turn 1 his Warden tried to stay close to the Warglaives who he advanced to get close and his Castellan put about sixteen wounds on my Errant. Turn 2 I moved my Errant towards his Castellan and used Power of the Machine to fight without penalty. I put seven wounds on the Castellan and managed to shoot up his Warden and remove it from the table. His turn 2 saw my Errant dropped to 2 wounds in shooting and a few wounds put on my Crusader, and one of my Warglaives and my Errant was then felled in close combat by a Warglaive. My Turn 3 I moved my whole army towards his Castellan and shot it down to two wounds and put ten on his closest Warglaive. His Turn 3 his Castellan was now hitting on 5's and he was out of CP, having spent his last three rotating ion shields on his Castellan, giving it a 3+ ion shield against my shooting. Without much hope of turning things at this point he tried charging a warglaive and was cut down by the chain-cleaver and failed charges on his Warglaives. Looking back I realize now he forgot to use the bonus charge dice for House Terryn. At this point both of my Warglaives were sporting heavy damage, some done by the Castellan blowing up, but my Warden and Crusader both had six or fewer wounds done to them. My turn 4 saw both Warglaives shot and smashed up for the win.

All told careful deployment, the use of cover and focusing fire on one target at a time combined with House Vulker re-rolls and the occasional use of Saturation Bombardment on the Crusader have allowed me to shoot my Knight opponents off the table. Even when my opponents have managed the first turn or killed one of my Knights by continuing to focus fire on a single target at a time and make the most of my shooting and re-rolls I have so far managed to turn the tide for the win. I have generally not relied much on close combat and have tried to maintain distance and keep up steady firepower while my opponents have tried to close the distance for melee. I'll admit this is not the most chivalrous way to play Knights and somewhat a contrast given my army is painted and modeled to look similar to the Space Wolves and you'd think that would mean I am cc happy. However I wanted my Knights to function as a contrast and support for my wolves so focused more on shooting than cc.

Curiously, in this last game every Questoris or Dominus knight kill on the table went to a Warglaive, while the Warglaives were all killed by the bigger Knights, quite unexpected.

Played against Space Wolves last night. Tabled my opponent. He had a total of 18

models, including Santa on his sleigh, Njall, Bjorn, and Arjac.

Highlight was one of my gallants taking out Bjorn with his fist, Bjorn used only in death does duty end to fight, took me down to a wound, blew up, killed my Knight, not before I threw him onto Njall and then my gallant blew up, nuking Njall and Santa. It was glorious!

So far I am 5-6 with knights as a pure force in 8th edition. 2 games was netlisting with to try an ETC list (castellan, crusader, 4 warglaives and a helverin), but I switched to my own list during practice up to the danish qualifiers, and had 2 defeats and 2 wins with the list during practice. During the event I went 3-2 with my quadstoris list.

Looking at trying a more lenient list comboing with DA for some psychic support and a flier for the next singles tournament.

Necator omnium died today, a psy spam eldar list with the compare ld, doom and -1 save power plus sweeping hawks did the foul deed.

Still won due to obsec tho #1 in the league!

So I went for three games in a club tournament yesterday.

1750, House Vulker

Atrapos warlord with 2+ save

Crusader with endless fury and Ion Bulwark

Styrix

Blessed 32

First game vs guard - shadowsword, the tank that buffs it, Russ, punisher Russ, blessed 32 and a Crusader knight.

He had first turn, my Atrapos disintegrated. Turn two, the Styrix disintegrated. Turn three and the crusader went. Result tabled, terrible dice, surely it has to be better from here.

Game two versus tau - the relic mission normal go with the relic giving +6 vp instead.

Two riptides, 2 sniper drone squads, coldstar, 2 broadsides and loads of "stuff"

He again got first turn, 5 marker lights on my Styrix and it disappeared.

My turn, Atrapos and crusader belted it forward, made the charge with the Atrapos and for the greater good stripped 14 odd wounds from it. Killed 2 squads in combat and then the Atrapos disappeared in his turn two. Crusader killed a few bits from shooting but again disappeared turn 3.

Another tabling after I conceded - the blessed 32 aren't doing much vs 1800 points worth of tau...

Game 3 vs custodes - 3x4 custodes with 2 spears and 2 sword/board. Trajann, vexilla of -1 to hit, caladius tank and a telemon with two guns.

Third time of the day opponent had first turn.

Usual process - everything focused on the Atrapos but it lived with 6 wounds left. The three knights closer, the Styrix and Atrapos did NOTHING!!!! against the telemon, which bounced everything.

The crusader did 4 wounds to the caladius

Cue combat and super shield guys bouncing the majority of damage.

I only really kill anything from the exploding knights mortal wounds.

So all in all, terrible dice rolling, forgetting half my stratagems, House Vulker trait really not suiting me - I'll be going back to Raven now.

But if that's all my bad luck gone before the GT, then I'll be ok with that.

Won't be taking that list to the GT now, nor the atrapos/double lancer one.

Gonna take a Lancer Warlord, 2 crusaders with a thermal and rfbc and 2 Armigers.

And then see how it goes. It means I have to finish painting just a Lancer and one avenger instead. And with my workload atm covering an ill colleague is common sense.

The whole first turn = win has become a real reality right now. Especially since Knights have so many points in a single model, loose one first turn and you really are on the back foot. I am not sure what they need to do next edition but turns need to sorted out, alterned shooting maybe but hell how to track that? Otherwise they need to reduce all unit damages so that they are less spikey so that it is about attrition rather than damage output.

The whole first turn = win has become a real reality right now. Especially since Knights have so many points in a single model, loose one first turn and you really are on the back foot. I am not sure what they need to do next edition but turns need to sorted out, alterned shooting maybe but hell how to track that? Otherwise they need to reduce all unit damages so that they are less spikey so that it is about attrition rather than damage output.

honestly this is probably the biggest thing that makes me a bit glitched about 40k. losing a turn either to the all cover save thing or going second and being crippled right off the bat just feels a bit swingy. I would prefer if the first turn was a bit more interactive between the two players, but I also dont know how the heck to do this.

I guess alternating phases could help - at least with sensible levels of terrain. It would encourage deeper counter-play too.

For example:

You win the roll, and elect to go first. You take your movement phase. Once you are done, I now take my movement phase and I can potentially better prepare for the fact that I know you will have the advantage of shooting first. If my game knowledge is deep enough, I can move outside of your known weapon ranges, or find better ways to block LOS or find cover.

You shoot, and get that first volley advantage - obviously doing damage - but I still got to prepare for it to an extent, and can choose to be better placed to weather that damage.

It'd also make it FAR less of an obvious decision as to whether you want to go first, or second. Do you want to play proactively, or reactively? Both would have their merits. Assault units would possibly get something of a buff too as they can be used to lock units in place thus denying the ability to counter move.

The first turn can very easily be a make or break moment in many games, it's the turn where both sides are at their strongest and possess the most firepower, things tend to tail off swiftly after that first turn. That said I'm not a big fan of alternating phases.

Honestly I think it might help more if both players were forced to keep a percentage of their army in reserve until at least Turn 2. This would prevent entire armies from starting on the board and maximizing first turn firepower and force both players to keep in mind what will be coming as reinforcements on later turns for them and their opponent and where and when it might appear. It would prevent games from being completely decided on Turn 1 and keep the pressure building through later turns.

This is something I try to do when I organize Apoc games, so that it prevents the whole thing from being decided in the first turn as one or the other side puts out overwhelming firepower and cripples their opponents and so players who have suffered more casualties than others aren't forced out of the game early but have reinforcements to bring on in later turns.

Archived