146th Hallamite Infantry Regiment (Armoured)

Personally think you have made a good choice of bits out of Anvil's massive pool of possibilities. Especially happy to see the carbines as I am currently torn between the drum mag carbines and the assault carbines for some Steel Legion Pioneers/Shock troops.

Can't comment on the paint-job as it is currently WIP.

I did like the drum mags too; if I end up with any grenadier style squads I think they’d look awesome, maybe if I do a Melta support squad or two. Good way to differentiate! The assault carbines are a lot smaller than Lasguns but they’re really nice casts. Can’t praise the quality of anvils stuff enough, I’ll pick up a platoon when I’ve finished the current batch.

Edited by Colonel Bindoff

• 8 months later...

gallery_95578_13095_57614.jpeg

Ok so it's been a while.... real life stuff got a bit in the way of this project, (moved, lots of work abroad, lots of work in general....) but its ETL time and I'm going to vow for the guard, so it seems apt to update this whilst I go.

Not to say that I've been idle. Being extremely happy with the Anvil models I bought in the first place, I got a platoon of them. Above is one squad of them - there's a squad that's only basecoated which I'll vow in a few days, and one that's about half done which I'll also finish off (although obviously it won't count to the points!) Hope you guys like them!

Here's a slightly closer look:

gallery_95578_13095_91787.jpeg

Each squad has a plasma special weapon, plus two snuck in weapon variations (a sniper and a bren gun guy) which will count as lasguns, but I loved the options (and my grandfather was a bren gunner)

And here's their rides: Maud is the finished wagon - the other three will be an ETL vow.

gallery_95578_13095_75614.jpeg

They are conversions of the dual HB forgeworld ones (I couldn't get official turrets - they've stopped making) plus an autocannon scout tank, which will carry a veteran squad at some point.

Hopefully I won't leave it another billion months before my next plog entry.

Wow they look great! The couple of special weapons are a nice touch even if they don't do anything special adds to the overall theme

Can't wait to see the army completed :tu:

Thanks guys.

I also rue the day that carapace and cloaks were removed. Doctrines were cool. Although I do also smile at the idea of my guard going into battle in what looks like heavier armour but is actually just as useless as regular flak

Perhaps one day Vets might get some of their flair back, along with Stormies they seem to have been left languishing somewhat by GW :( There's much to be said for Rule of Cool of course, and the lack of flavour doesn't stop them still being useful :smile.:

I love your scheme.... there's something about it that looks really familiar ...:whistling:

med_gallery_9146_7882_287617.jpg

:laugh.: ...great minds think alike!!

i love your use of Anvil bits, they make really good resin models!! :thumbsup:

Glad to see this army coming back and getting done!

Cheers, Mithril

Nice! Lovely and clean job. Is that a space marine scout head?

Yes!, well spotted, it is a scout head.

I wonder if the new contrast paint - “snakebite leather” will give us the same effect on our troops fatigues ... but in one coat ?!

Cheers , Mithril

I’d recognise that chiselled jaw anywhere!

Mine are desert yellow base (army painter) then ushabti bone highlights and some shading. Keen to try the contrast paints but might start a new unit to do it! Have a vague concept for a super-heavy company with slightly different uniforms mounted in a stormlord

The predator turret looks so cool mounted on a Chimera, that idea will be thieved.

Cheers pal. Not my idea, but the set back look plus turret I love. I’d do more, but buying a whole predator to make it was a bit extortionate. The turret bits would be about £20 alone on ebay, so I just bought the kit and built a rhino out of the rest.

I cut out the chimeras turret ring then mounted the predator one over the hole. Pretty pleased with the result. Figured it could also work as a salamander too.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a long week but I’ve managed to make progress. These are my vowed vehicles, with a metallic base, salt applied, then basecoated.

gallery_95578_13095_133135.jpeg

I’ve also found some chaps to replace the baneblade crew.

gallery_95578_13095_100662.jpeg

Think they look kind of cool. Hatches need reattaching but again, baneblade is salted up and basecoated, so onwards to glory etc etc.

I need to make sure I get the infantry I vowed done early.

Guardsmen with shakos! Excellent choice. They look good. Looking forward to seeing the vow tanks finished.

Thanks! Now that anvil are starting the long awaited female expansion to the regiments range I may (soon?) end up with another full platoon. Although I’m expecting it to be a while before they knock out all the bits I need.

Always the problem with projects; where to draw a line on army size. So far there’s (in various stages) a baneblade, seven russes, four chimeras, a hydra, three sentinels and a three squad platoon plus sws and hws and characters. Once this lot is done I’ll post a group shot. But what then? Hellhounds? A shadow sword?

Looking forward to seeing the finished products!

I like that you've put some sand on the body of the Baneblade, nice touch.

That's from the salt chipping method...i think..:blush.:  he's going to wipe that off to show weathering :ermm:  

great work by the way...so much stuff :wub:

cheers Mithril

Yeah it’s salt weathering. The idea is that the whole model is basecoated in a colour that you want to show through (in my case it’s boltgun metal), then you stick table salt on this using either hairspray or water (I used water) then basecoat over this. Then you scrub off the salt; it looks like paint chipping becuse that’s what it actually is.

Some people do it with two colours, so a base metal layer, then a primer layer, but I quite like the idea that the imperial guard don’t have the patience or modelling skill for that.....

Started dry brushing now. Vows would be so much easier to get done if it didn’t have work/kids/ the wife taking up all my time!

So I’ve forgotten how many fething rivets there are on a baneblade. I suppose the Omnisiah knows best but I’m kind of looking forward to the day the mechanicum rediscover the STC for welding....

Anyway progress continues. My etl vow is making good progress, I’ve even done a fair bit of the infantry and not just been totally consumed with tanks.. although I did also buy two more russes. Seriously, you can just never have enough, it turns out.

Here’s a couple of WIP shots of the baneblade, loads to do obviously but shows the salt weathering concept part way through for those of you who are interested;

gallery_95578_13095_101911.jpeg

And closer;

gallery_95578_13095_1793.jpeg

I’ve over done some of the panels, which will need lightening a bit so they aren’t obviously painted. Perils of trying to paint with three kids running around!