Orbital Assault Tactica

ProsperoStands

But what if I want to run an *entire* army of podding madmen? Sure, your set-up is more effective (for a given standard of effectiveness), but it might not always scratch an itch someone else has.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I meant from the start.

Well, if you want to run a 'full' OA list, podding in everything ...

- I'd still recommend Red Butchers in a Dreadclaw

- 2 x 10 Despoilers with Chainaxes in regular Pods 

- 2 different Dreads in dreadnought pods

That's 5 pods. From there I'd spice things up to seven pods, so you get an uneven number.

Perhaps one pod with your Praetor / Master of the Legion / Delegatus / Herald. Command Squad with MotL attached in a Dreadclaw comes to mind.

And maybe a Plasma Tac Support Squad or Melta Veteran Squad in the seventh pod.

Of course, there's also a certain (big) appeal to a Kharybdis with an 18-strong Despoiler Squad inside, MotL and Apothecary attached.

Of course, there's also a certain (big) appeal to a Kharybdis with an 18-strong Despoiler Squad inside, MotL and Apothecary attached.

YES.

Admittedly I think I have it better with Grey Slayers and a Speaker of the Dead but this just sounds like carnage.

• 3 weeks later...

But what if I want to run an *entire* army of podding madmen? Sure, your set-up is more effective (for a given standard of effectiveness), but it might not always scratch an itch someone else has.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I meant from the start.

I know what you mean. The very first artwork of a drop pod in Betrayal mentions how the pods are the World Eaters & Space Wolves preferred method of planetary assault.

It basically amounts to trading the melee buffs of the Legion RoWs for better mobility. It would be a good RoW to use against "shooty" legions who you were already going to curbstomp in melee anyways. With them it's better to get across the table as fast as possible than to stack bonuses that will end up being overkill.

• 1 year later...

Well, if you want to run a 'full' OA list, podding in everything ...

- I'd still recommend Red Butchers in a Dreadclaw

- 2 x 10 Despoilers with Chainaxes in regular Pods 

- 2 different Dreads in dreadnought pods

That's 5 pods. From there I'd spice things up to seven pods, so you get an uneven number.

Perhaps one pod with your Praetor / Master of the Legion / Delegatus / Herald. Command Squad with MotL attached in a Dreadclaw comes to mind.

And maybe a Plasma Tac Support Squad or Melta Veteran Squad in the seventh pod.

s

This is exactly what I was looking for! With the new box coming out I have started planning a XII Legion Destroyer/Drop Assault army. While I have some regular pods set aside for the XII, the big question was how to get more bodies on the field faster. Probably going to thrown in a Storm Eagle as a 20 man transport, or load it with 10 Terminators and wreck faces.

• 1 month later...

Word of caution on the storm eagle:

If you like the model cool, however it will not really get you there faster as:

It cannot come in turn one +

Has to make it to where it needs to go =

It will be turn three or four till your guys get into combat with a storm eagle

On top of this, your sky taxi can further delayed by poor rolls on the reserve attempt or your opponent has a way to mess with your reserve rolls. Not something that may come up often or it might very well do so, depending on your group.

Also, a storm eagle loaded with termies is a very tasty target for your opponents anti air to target with enthusiastic glee. This will also depend on your opponents army but is more likely with deredos and the very popular arcus tank. The danger dorito has sent many of my thunderbolts and lightnings into the dirt. The arcus is even better at it but I have not played against one with my solar auxilia yet.

On a positive note, the storm eagle can be used as an ok delivery device for units. It’s not a hopeless anchor to sink your game, it’s just has some unfortunate baggage.

Lastly, a storm eagle rocking a passenger that gives it scout, and thus outflank, can do some fun things.

I would not use storm eagle unless you like the model and want rule of cool.

Good luck :)