Astra Militarum strategies vs other factions

Wassa

I find Leman Russ' to be quite resistant to most alpha strikes as long as the table has some LoS blocking terrain and you don't put sponsons on. 

If you rely on turret weapons you can start them behind things them move out and fire without any serious penalty (Grinding advance is pretty great).

This wont stop them killing one Russ but can greatly limit their ability to kill multiple. 

ITC helps IG with the first floor being a LOS-blocker. ETC is another story though. I don't mind IK as much though. What bothers me is that IG anti-tank is not as efficient as one would like it to be. Shadowsword is a thing, but it has to go first. A Castellan can really put a lot of hurt onto that thing. Custodes are a struggle. Jetbikes will charge T2, they have a -1 hit banner and are practically immune to small arms fire. A pretty common list is 180pts IG, Slamguinius batt, Outrider AC with 2 Dawncaptains, 9 Jetbikes and the -1hit guy. I dunno how much firepower you need to kill them before they utterly mess up your line. With Tallarn and Scions being limited by the beta rules, it is also hard to get the jump on Eldar.

ITC helps IG with the first floor being a LOS-blocker. ETC is another story though. I don't mind IK as much though. What bothers me is that IG anti-tank is not as efficient as one would like it to be. Shadowsword is a thing, but it has to go first. A Castellan can really put a lot of hurt onto that thing. Custodes are a struggle. Jetbikes will charge T2, they have a -1 hit banner and are practically immune to small arms fire. A pretty common list is 180pts IG, Slamguinius batt, Outrider AC with 2 Dawncaptains, 9 Jetbikes and the -1hit guy. I dunno how much firepower you need to kill them before they utterly mess up your line. With Tallarn and Scions being limited by the beta rules, it is also hard to get the jump on Eldar.

I think the Shadowsword should be part of a Tallarn supreme command detachment if you are tryharding to avoid alpha strikes. 

I think the Shadowsword should be part of a Tallarn supreme command detachment if you are tryharding to avoid alpha strikes. 

The 3+ Accuracy of the Vostroyan regiment makes it a better option. To be frank, you're not hiding a shadowsword, and it doesn't suffer moving and shooting penalties anyway. Hiding it off map is only possible if you have the older style kit because of the room required to place the tank on the map.

The 3+ Accuracy of the Vostroyan regiment makes it a better option. To be frank, you're not hiding a shadowsword, and it doesn't suffer moving and shooting penalties anyway. Hiding it off map is only possible if you have the older style kit because of the room required to place the tank on the map.

If you don't add sponsons (and why would you?) it fits pretty much fine.

The Tallarn regiment choice is purely to protect it from the turn 1 alphastrikes that limit it's usefulness. 

Astra Militraum tactics as a general rule are the same regardless of opponent. Shoot them. What does change depending on opponent is target priority and deployment strategy.

Vs Blood Angels you need solid Deep Stike screening and bubble wrap. Capatain Smash needs big game to hunt...give him only screen infantry to target. Deploy your defense in depth and be prepared to sacrifice your first and second lines to keep your heavy hitters in the game. BA do most of their antiarmor work at the business end of a thunderhammer, be prepared for it.

Necrons. Don't plink wounds onto multiple units, focus fire until the job is done. Be aware that autocannons are better vs Quantum Shielding than Lascannon. Dynasty choice will change crons considerably. Novoko will come at you with blazing fast CC units like Wraiths while Mephrit will close to double tap range and blaze away. Necrons are happy to play the attrition game but they are limited on weapons to deal with heavy tanks. If you focus down their destroyers and doomsday arks your tanks will opperate almost unopposed. Beware Cron character synergies...they are the lychpin of all that is dirty about crons.

Great information on Knights and Shadowswords, I suspect we could make that a topic all on its own and continue with the general tactica discussion here :thumbsup:

EDIT: 

Removed IK discussion to dedicated thread here

The OP of this thread was in relation to the following factions:

I am entering a friendly 1500pt tournament soon (just to meet people at the local gaming club) and as a newish player I have some questions about strategies about other factions.

So far we have:

• Space Wolves
  • Ultramarines
  • Blood Angels
  • Necrons
  • Orks
  • Another Astra Militarum
  • Deathguard
As it is WYSIWYG I'm limited to playing either full Cadian, Catachan, or a mixture.

Are there any specific strategies I should take heed of against specific opponents?

Archived