GW stock drops 10% after cryptic warning to investors

Kastor Krieg

... I was gonna try to write something witty about the amount of paperwork that we'd cause the adepts with these kind of articles, but it's just not worth it.  

BoLS comment section from 5 days ago.  Standard rules of engagement apply. 

seems like we were right

the cryptic warning is no longer cryptic,  store managers have confirmed no more restocking of normalstartes

This... doesn't say anything about store managers? It's crap BoLS clickbait. Even if such a move were happening now, it wouldn't get a mention in the investor report and certainly wouldn't be cause for concern - it signifies the strength of the Primaris range, not the bottom falling out of Space Marines.

seems like we were right

the cryptic warning is no longer cryptic, store managers have confirmed no more restocking of normalstartes

Is this for real? They finnaly gonna do it?

Are we expecting a Time skip, and kill off the OGmarines heroes? They getting an Upgrade?

Exciting times.

For real. Try ordering more even now... No can do.Not even possible from GW

I'd expect the worst. Knowing GW.

Imagine soft retcon, they were primaris all along or something

Until GW announces that regular Marines are for the scrapheap, I would apply an enormous amount of salt to this. It's BoLS. They rarely have any facts to publish, and if they do, its only ever posted in a way to drive the revenue stream via clickbait.

I think it's logical that eventually, Primaris become a significant proportion of a typical Chapters strength. But to actively kill them off so soon? They'd antagonize a massive part of their customers. They won't risk doing that. And if it was something they'd considering, the Primaris have no decent range of dedicated vehicles, no Techmarine equivalent, no named HQ/characters, etc

Maybe once the above start appearing, there might be cause for concern. Until then, perhaps everyone should emulate a Marine and maintain battle discipline over routing before there's a need to? ;)

Guest MistaGav

Only thing I can imagine is most of the oldstartes stuff just going to the GW web store and being direct to order only. I mean, they do this already with some stuff like Dark Talon, Dark Shroud and other nicheish units. Then Primaris is in store, web order and via third party so that gets pushed more to the forefront. Makes sense and doesn't necessarily mean oldstartes are being killed off but they sort of are in the same manner.

I agree with Aqui. Sounds a bit early for them to do that. It probably will happen eventually but not now. BoLS is a bit jumping the gun here to gain more clicks as usually.

it's not the BOLS article, which is rubbish, but the comment section, in reference, which can be verified or disproved with a trade account 

indeed, if you have access to one, or a connection who does, one can see that you are no longer able to order normal marines, just get in contact with your sales rep

seems like we were right

the cryptic warning is no longer cryptic, store managers have confirmed no more restocking of normalstartes

Is this for real? They finnaly gonna do it?

Are we expecting a Time skip, and kill off the OGmarines heroes? They getting an Upgrade?

Exciting times.

For real. Try ordering more even now... No can do.

I'd expect the worst. Knowing GW.

Imagine soft retcon, they were primaris all along or something

Considering the primaris range is 10% the size of the regular marine range, and would need years to catch up, yeah no.

the cryptic warning is no longer cryptic,  store managers have confirmed no more restocking of normalstartes

This is the same site that howled about big S being squatted for the past 3 years to dreg up more clicks (only to mysteriously shut up and drop the topic a few weeks ago, totally coincidentally around the time certain new S model was leaked). Given the above, they are (again) totally trustworthy about next thing they say is being squatted right now, honest guv :whistling:

I still stand by my longstanding suggestion of "ban on rumours without physical evidence"; be it a leaked document, a photo or otherwise. BoLS and SpikeyBits are bottom of the barrel drama shills; and they encourage that mindset amongst their readers. They should really be banned from being shared on the B&C, if only to deny them clicks.

Old marines going online item only wouldnt exactly hurt GW, sure the stores mmight take a hit but the online sales would benefit but this would require Primaris getting a huge release in a short ammount of time and honestly I dont see how this would affect stock value in a negative way when this move would push more profit from the Primaris players and GW would keep all the profit from the online sales of their most successful line.

Old marines going online item only wouldnt exactly hurt GW, sure the stores mmight take a hit but the online sales would benefit but this would require Primaris getting a huge release in a short ammount of time and honestly I dont see how this would affect stock value in a negative way when this move would push more profit from the Primaris players and GW would keep all the profit from the online sales of their most successful line.

But GW aren't going to remove standard Marines from shelves until they know that an inch of Primaris shelf is worth more than an inch of Marine shelf. It's not the Fantasy situation, where GW were willing to take a punt on turfing out a struggling line. 

Actually, I think there might even be a risk that Primaris eat into the shelf space of other factions. GW are less dependent on their retail outlets these days when it comes to roping in new players/supporting an existing player base, so a more efficient approach to these outlets might well see Primaris and Marines colonise even more of a given shop. There must be GW number-crunchers chomping at the bit to dump half the AoS range and the entirety of LotR in favour of power armour.

But GW aren't going to remove standard Marines from shelves until they know that an inch of Primaris shelf is worth more than an inch of Marine shelf. It's not the Fantasy situation, where GW were willing to take a punt on turfing out a struggling line. 

Actually, I think there might even be a risk that Primaris eat into the shelf space of other factions. GW are less dependent on their retail outlets these days when it comes to roping in new players/supporting an existing player base, so a more efficient approach to these outlets might well see Primaris and Marines colonise even more of a given shop. There must be GW number-crunchers chomping at the bit to dump half the AoS range and the entirety of LotR in favour of power armour.

Um... If that was the case, they wouldn't release LotR 3.0 with a lot of new models. They just did, instead of letting it die quietly. They are also reviving AoS 'Fantasy' ranges.

Ditto for Marines, these kits also prop up HH range. Pull them out of stores and HH might be finally dying for good, this isn't going to happen without alternative plan in place.

And I don't believe that frankly dumb Primaris rumour for one reason - they still don't have Start Collecting box. For an army to truly take off you need to be able to start it for cheap, in impulse buy range. T&C and DI are way too expensive for that, so yeah, until you can grab SI Primaris (or better yet, Primaris Codex with actually playable rules) you can bin all 'squatting' rumours or flush them down the toilet, they will be worth about as much...

Um... If that was the case, they wouldn't release LotR 3.0 with a lot of new models. They just did, instead of letting it die quietly. They are also reviving AoS 'Fantasy' ranges.

Ditto for Marines, these kits also prop up HH range. Pull them out of stores and HH might be finally dying for good, this isn't going to happen without alternative plan in place.

Oh, I'm not saying it would be a good thing, or that GW isn't presently governed by sensible enough heads to see a wide range of product lines supported. I simply strongly suspect that the theoretical Most Profitable Games Workshop Store sells nothing but Marines.

I-I hope you're joking, because this method of thinking is frankly ridiculous and reeks of paranoia.

And I don't believe that frankly dumb Primaris rumour for one reason - they still don't have Start Collecting box. For an army to truly take off you need to be able to start it for cheap, in impulse buy range. T&C and DI are way too expensive for that, so yeah, until you can grab SI Primaris (or better yet, Primaris Codex with actually playable rules) you can bin all 'squatting' rumours or flush them down the toilet, they will be worth about as much...

There's not Start Collecting box a lot of really cheap ways to get Primaris Marines. Tooth and Claw and Dark Imperium are pretty obsense value and a lot of players are taking advantage and splitting kits.

No one is squatting original Marines but i think its pretty healthy if we all acknowledge Primaris as the future status quo for Marine releases. Original marines will still be around in the lore and supported in the rules but GW isn't going to be releasing new kits at the original scale.

If i had to number the days of original marines as buyable kits, i would number it with the lifespan of the titanium molds that are producing the kits. The Primaris range is lilely to be filled out in thier place, replacing them piecemail. Give it a decade, original marines will be gone and i'll probably happened so slowly and organically we wont have minded.

As for this rumour, i wouldn't make too much out of it. Shelf space is finite, something has to give. Its reasonable to think new product will take the spot light. The old stuff will probably be mainstays online for a long time.

Archived