Are Centurions a viable option?

Aothaine

Hmm. 70pts a model for 2 Heavy Bolters and a Hurricane Bolter array. Not too bad.

Not sure if it's particularly cost effective simply because a Lascannon can kill off a single model in a turn but with other targets to provide target saturation to the opponent you very well may find them an effective firebase.

Here's the thing: a Lascannon would have to be dedicated to shoot at the unit and hit.  Frankly, that's an argument that can be made against many Many MANY units.

Regardless, that's 1 less Lascannon against something else for a turn.

Also they have a 2+ save so technically they are more likely to swallow Lascannon shots than most other tanks in the game. Each Lascannon shot directed at them is one less directed at your actual tanks and a third of those Lascannon shots won't do anything. Half if the Centurions are in cover.

I'd be more worried about mass shooting with decent strength like T'au Firewarriors and such tho.

If they dropped their base cost to 30 then maybe they'd be good.

They are certainly more usable now, not as much of a handycap.

Grav is the way to run them. You can get much better and much cheaper Heavy Bolter platforms like Intercessors or Quad Bolter platforms.

78 points per model, 234 for the unit. It can be worked into a list for sure.

I actually think Centurions are comparable to Inceptors now. Consider they've got better firepower, greater range, a better save and an additional wound. In addition, opponents don't get the benefit of cover when Centurions fire (unless you're silly enough to remove the Sergeant for some reason).

They pay an additional 70pts over Inceptors if we go like for like and not count the Hurricane Bolters it's actually 40pts for minimum squads.

I'm quite liking the idea of them as an alternative.

Put in cover, and those lascannons only got a 50/50 chance of getting past armor save.  That's after they hit and after they wound. And after that they still have a 1/3 chance of not finishing the job off (need to roll a 3 on those wounds). 

So 2/3 (hit) * 2/3 (wound) * 1/2 (armor saves) * 2/3 (damage rolls) = only a 15% chance to take down a Centurion in 1 shot from a lascannon. If you play RG (at least for the time being), that's down to 11% chance.  Add in Astartes banner and/or apothecary to really troll your opponent.

As (I think it was Panzer) said, the real bane of these guys is massed Pulse Rifles, heavy bolters, twin assault cannons.

Did assault centurions get any better?

Not that I saw and I'm very sad because if they got a remotely similar drop I'd by as many as possible will fir in a Crusader Land Raider (oh yeah have to buy the Land Raider too) :)

So, with the points drop of Centurions (specifically Dev cents) has the consensus changed on the beefy marines?

That is still ~70pts on one 3wounds model. About 50% cost of a tank. Is killing a tank more difficult than killing 2 Centurions?

So, with the points drop of Centurions (specifically Dev cents) has the consensus changed on the beefy marines?

That is still ~70pts on one 3wounds model. About 50% cost of a tank. Is killing a tank more difficult than killing 2 Centurions?

Well, Centurions are a lot easier to get dug into cover than a tank, so that can kinda bend the math.

Easier to get cover with, easier to stop LOS too, and better armor save (except land raiders, which are more like 4x the price).  They also synergize with chapter tactics (better for some than others, to be sure), and apothecaries and ancients.  They can also move vertically on terrain which has a plethora of advantages and can start off in transports. Now certainly, no one of those things are game breaking, but taken all together, you get a lot of versatility and options with them that you don't get with a tank if you play them right.

And as always... target saturation. It's my usual go to opinion. Take stuff your opponent will want to fire at as a matter of course and those Centurions at the back will not be an automatic target.

Small arms in particular should be firing at your Vanguard etc.

Not perfect but the Bolter-death variant looks great to me. The Lascannon one I imagine should be perhaps saved for a single model in the squad to keep costs down.

The Grav Cannon version looks okay but I do hate that it didn't get a discount.

I've been tinkering with taking Grav Cannons in my Crusader Squads.  I blame Centurions for keeping the price high. :tongue.:

The dakka variant does seem like the most sensible.  It's a tiny bit lacking in range, but find someplace around midfield to park them and count the shells.  God help any chaff that gets within double tap range of the Hurricanes. :biggrin.:

I have used my Centurions early on in 8th and ended up redoing them with a pair of twin las/Hurricanes, and a Grav Cannon with Hurricanes.

That was my favourite build and basically I had a 'fun' combo of the Apothecary healing them, and the Ancient propping them up before death to pop off another volley of shots.

It was a fun idea at the time but the basic Dev squad was just so much better over all.

At the time my setup for Centurions was 398 points I think. I'm not sure what it would be now, but to be honest I feel like it would have to be about 325 to be valid since so many things in the game have the ability to blick them so easily.

Look man, 3 dudes packing HB and Hurricanes gotta be awesome against hordes.

Right?!

Assuming non-Rapid Fire range they'll kill 11.5 GEQs or 12.8 OEQs (Ork Boyz) before any Captain/Lieutenant rerolls are factored in. With Captain/Lieutenant: 15.8 GEQs or 17.2 OEQs.

Not too bad. They'll thin them out quite quickly though not super fast, but they're pretty resilient to counter fire.

I make it 278pts by the leak. ;)

Gees I may have to take them out for a spin if that’s accurate!

I always loved the Centurions of all builds. I used to play the assault variant a lot too, even in 7 th. I’m thinking of throwing them in a Landraider with meltas. Again I don’t know the cost but that has some serious potential against a Knight I’m sure. I may have to pull them out tomorrow.

Archived