Red Brotherhood

Rogue

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bjorn.

Here's one more, to bring me up to the end of 2020. This is a mixed batch of acolytes and metamorphs who were rounding out a couple of broods.

metamorphs

I like the idea of individual metamorphs slowly taking on the characteristics of other tyranid beasts, like a lictor or carnifex, so tried to match arms to heads to evoke this...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both - it's always encouraging when other people like what you've done.

Colour-wise, I start with a mechanicus standard grey base-coat on everything, which will also form the base colour for the trousers.

The blue fabric (robes, loin cloths, sleeves) gets a base of stegadon scale green (which looks blue to me).

The armour gets a base of administratum grey.

Then everything gets a shade of agrax earthshade.

The blue fabric then gets a layer of thunderhawk blue, which has a slightly grey tint.

The armour gets a layer in the same adminstratum grey.

The trousers and fabric get a highlight in dawnstone grey - fairly broad on the trousers, picking out folds and creases all over; on the fabric, it's just the sharp edges, any tears or holes, and a touch on any creases if they're folded up enough.

Finally, the armour gets a highlight in ulthuan grey, just along the edges and the ribbing (which is most of it, to be fair), but finer than the previous layer.

I hope that's helpful.

Thank you both - it's always encouraging when other people like what you've done.

Colour-wise, I start with a mechanicus standard grey base-coat on everything, which will also form the base colour for the trousers.

The blue fabric (robes, loin cloths, sleeves) gets a base of stegadon scale green (which looks blue to me).

The armour gets a base of administratum grey.

Then everything gets a shade of agrax earthshade.

The blue fabric then gets a layer of thunderhawk blue, which has a slightly grey tint.

The armour gets a layer in the same adminstratum grey.

The trousers and fabric get a highlight in dawnstone grey - fairly broad on the trousers, picking out folds and creases all over; on the fabric, it's just the sharp edges, any tears or holes, and a touch on any creases if they're folded up enough.

Finally, the armour gets a highlight in ulthuan grey, just along the edges and the ribbing (which is most of it, to be fair), but finer than the previous layer.

I hope that's helpful.

Incredibly helpful - much appreciated!!

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Doghouse. 

It's been a relatively slow few months on the painting front (14 models in 6 months), but I've just finished off a lone hypermorph to round out a second brood of five aberrants (I acquired four aberrants as part of an ebay purchase, and it's been annoying me ever since that I can put down a brood of nine, but not two fives). So here's the new hypermorph, and a couple of shots of the whole set of ten.

hypermorph

aberrants1

aberrants2

• 1 month later...

Another month of 'finishing off' - these three acolytes mean I can put out a third brood of ten. Unlike the other two, which have rock saws, this one will have two drills and two cutters (and at some point will probably gain an icon and a more leader-looking leader). But as is, this third brood also double up as a means to push one of the tens to a twenty if I want to go that way.

acolytes

• 5 weeks later...

Having acquired various Jackal bits and pieces from trading sites, I've started painting up some bikers. I'm really liking the models, and even all the extra baggage that I thought would just be a faff - it makes them feel a little more grounded (as much as alien biker warriors can be grounded, I guess).

jackals

jackal A

In other news, I've also started a small blog - it's mostly about the Cult from a table-top perspective, using maths to explore different options and ideas to see what works. If that sounds like your cup of tea*, feel free to come and check it out: https://redbrotherhood.wixsite.com/cult

* no actual tea available

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the last of the pre-built Jackals I picked up - this time it's the Alphus.

Picture1

Picture2

Picture3

Picture4

There will be more Jackals (and a pair of wolf quads) coming further down the line, but everything else is still on the sprue, so gets to wait for a bit while I tidy up a few more things that are already put together, like genestealers and metamorphs.

• 10 months later...

Well, that is a shockingly long gap. I've been painting stuff, but not taking any nice photos (due to a rather protracted house move and lack of access to background scenery).

But normal (below average) service can now be resumed: here's my first GSC transport.

large.20220731_140230.jpg.de003a38597ddda832f72fb1bc1661fd.jpglarge.20220731_140250.jpg.0dd5e7c786a1307e9642633fc5bce4e9.jpglarge.20220731_140313.jpg.f0bfd838a8df7c961f7a16d752184057.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is such a Bolter and Chainsword-specific compliment :)

I've finished off the rockgrinder bits for upgrading the basic truck:

large.1309782145_heavyrockgrinder(2).jpg.fd9dc11443735f97a93739e078a36eb2.jpg

large.1447379675_heavyrockgrinder(1).jpg.3e32e4b2797d5e497d5c7587eff2df64.jpg

The other options are available for the main gun, just not photographed here (because I forgot).

Thanks, Sitnam :)

It's a slightly simplified version of the way I paint the body armour for the other Cult models - a solid layer of Administratum Grey, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade (not too heavy, but enough that it's slightly blotchy and streaky rather than completely smooth and even). Then an all-over drybrush of Administratum to tone down the wash and create faux edge highlighting, and finally a downwards drybrush of Ulthuan Grey.

I hope that's helpful.