Gaunt’s Ghosts: Anarch

Do you have to read the whole Gaunts Ghosts series from the start to follow the story?

I wasn't able to get through First and Only or Ghostmaker, they really aren't great. Starting at Necropolis is what I generally recommend to new readers, it's one of the series' better combat-focused entries, is the starting point for most sub plots, and recaps the important character beats from the first 2.

Do you have to read the whole Gaunts Ghosts series from the start to follow the story?

I wasn't able to get through First and Only or Ghostmaker, they really aren't great. Starting at Necropolis is what I generally recommend to new readers, it's one of the series' better combat-focused entries, is the starting point for most sub plots, and recaps the important character beats from the first 2.

Honestly, I disagree. To me Necropolis feels a lot less 'intimate' than First and Only and Ghostmaker did, or even subsequent books, since it tries to cover a much vaster scale than Ghost PoVs. It reads more like an historical account in a lot of places, which isn't to say that's a bad thing but I think it's a bad introduction to the series if you plan on going deeper into it. As a standalone? Sure.

I enjoy First and Only, even if it's pretty apparent where it was cobbled together from the Inferno short stories. That being said, it gives a stronger opener for a lot of the major characters - Gaunt, Caffran, Milo, Corbec, etc - and even minor ones like Domor become a lot more memorable to the reader than if they'd skipped ahead. Despite the name of the regiment, it's also only two and a half books we actually spend with the Tanith themselves before their narrative turns more into "how do the Verghasti/Beledon mesh?" 

I admit that I wasn't a big fan of Ghostmaker, but again, I think that's because it's so obviously a collection of short stories rather than a true novel. I still think it's an important read to flesh out some of the major Tanith Ghosts, particularly Larkin and Milo. If nothing else it's worth coming back to before the body count start rising circa The Guns of Tanith.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Honestly, I disagree. To me Necropolis feels a lot less 'intimate' than First and Only and Ghostmaker did, or even subsequent books, since it tries to cover a much vaster scale than Ghost PoVs. It reads more like an historical account in a lot of places, which isn't to say that's a bad thing but I think it's a bad introduction to the series if you plan on going deeper into it. As a standalone? Sure.

I enjoy First and Only, even if it's pretty apparent where it was cobbled together from the Inferno short stories. That being said, it gives a stronger opener for a lot of the major characters - Gaunt, Caffran, Milo, Corbec, etc - and even minor ones like Domor become a lot more memorable to the reader than if they'd skipped ahead. Despite the name of the regiment, it's also only two and a half books we actually spend with the Tanith themselves before their narrative turns more into "how do the Verghasti/Beledon mesh?" 

I admit that I wasn't a big fan of Ghostmaker, but again, I think that's because it's so obviously a collection of short stories rather than a true novel. I still think it's an important read to flesh out some of the major Tanith Ghosts, particularly Larkin and Milo. If nothing else it's worth coming back to before the body count start rising circa The Guns of Tanith.

Reading the rest of the series has certainly made me curious enough to re-visit the first 2, despite how awkwardly they both read. I think they both fail to set up characters as effectively as later books to a newcomer, far too many are dropped all at once without enough plot relevance to make you remember who's who, but having read the series and grown attached to them now, it would probably be much easier to follow.

I maintain the Necropolis is the best starting point, but First and Only and Ghostmaker may be worth checking out as prequels further into the series. 

A lot of people will say skip the first two and go straight to Necropolis. I don't think you should. The first two don't flow as well as the rest, or even read the same really, but they aren't as bad as some will make out. I read book one and was completely hooked. Yes it got better, but I still loved the Ghosts from the moment I read First and Only.

I'd say they both should be read in the correct order as well, as it does set up a lot of backstory that pays off later. Or sets up characters that you might not care about as much if you hadn't of read them. 

Don't skip any! 

I reread First and Only a couple of years ago and was suprised how well it stood up to the test of time. Necropolis was the first GG novel that blew me away, though. There were consequences all round.

I should go back and have a look at that soon, I think. 

Couple of years back in prep for release of Warmaster I read all the Abnett written shorts & novels covering Sabbat Worlds (inc Double Eagle & Titanicus) in chronological order not published order. It was a fantastic ride (meant First & Only wasn’t first story).

Without doubt though they get better as they go along because IMO:

1) You become increasingly invested in the characters.

2) Abnett improves as a writer (from very good to absolutely great).

Can’t really put them in order as depends on my mood but top five for me is Traitor General, Only In Death, Blood Pact, Warmaster, Anarch (throw Double Eagle in as bonus).