Seige of Terra series news

I’m optimistic that the siege will be a much tighter story than the heresy, and our worries will be for nothing. I think everyone on the BL team knows you can’t treat the Emperor vs Horus as the end of Prospero Burns. We already know they are gonna throw some curve balls at us for liking the old lore and thinking it was what really happened so as long as it isn’t something like Sanguinius getting killed by the Emperor or The last page is ‘:cuss you for caring about this it was all a lie’ things will turn out alright. Edited by Marshal Rohr

I'm calling it now:

Sanguinius never sacrificed but rather tried to convince Horus / trying to delay his ultimate fate. They fight and Sangi wounds Horus as it always had been but instead of dealing the killing blow, he hesitated. He simply cannot kill one of his most beloved brothers (if not the most beloved of them all). The Emperor shows up, sees the hesitating Primarch of the IXth Legion, believes him to finally become a traitor as well and slashes the Angel. That way, he infuses himself with the power of the dying Angel in order to boost his own to confront the mad Horus, who once and for all lost his mind at his brother's dying breath.

OR

Sangi's purpose was to be used against the Dark Gods' champion all along. If A D-B will cover it, it wouldn't surprise me to see something like that happen. (No complainment to you Aaron but it would fit the ambivagous Emperor of your Master of Mankind, who uses his most trusted for certain coming events.)

Horus' soul is shattered and the Emperor is crippled to death. Finally, Dorn shows up, sees the results of the fight and assumes that Sangi sacrificed himself, yadda yadda. Thus, the tale of the heroic martyr is told and spread across the Imperium.

Something like that will happen. Remember my words. ;)

I'm calling it now:

Sanguinius never sacrificed but rather tried to convince Horus / trying to delay his ultimate fate. They fight and Sangi wounds Horus as it always had been but instead of dealing the killing blow, he hesitated. He simply cannot kill one of his most beloved brothers (if not the most beloved of them all). The Emperor shows up, sees the hesitating Primarch of the IXth Legion, believes him to finally become a traitor as well and slashes the Angel. That way, he infuses himself with the power of the dying Angel in order to boost his own to confront the mad Horus, who once and for all lost his mind at his brother's dying breath.

OR

Sangi's purpose was to be used against the Dark Gods' champion all along. If A D-B will cover it, it wouldn't surprise me to see something like that happen. (No complainment to you Aaron but it would fit the ambivagous Emperor of your Master of Mankind, who uses his most trusted for certain coming events.)

I've said, like, a squillion times: 'Play the hits. Now's not the time for "ACTUALLY..." ' 

I'm only 1/8 of the team, but there will be almost no "ACTUALLY..." in my contribution. There's very little of it in any of my work in general -- compare my HH stuff to most of the others, and you can see there are relatively few 'revelations' or changes to old lore -- but I've said in several Siege meetings that now's the time to play the hits as well as we can.

Sanguinius being a last minute traitor may be the only legitimate deal breaker for me.

I would vault the table and physically attack someone if they said that in a meeting.

Edited by A D-B

Thanks for the feedback, A D-B!

Now I know that there won't be any weird shenanigans coming up. :smile.:

Well, at least from you side (which isn't that of a surprise). ;)

Still 1 voice out of 8...but with John and Chris, who prefer to stay true to old lore, there are more than just one author thinking in the way you do. So here's hope.

Edited by Kelborn

Well, at least from you side (which isn't that of a surprise). :wink:

Still 1 voice out of 8...but with John and Chris, who prefer to stay true to old lore, there are more than just one author thinking in the way you do. So here's hope.

I'd venture a safe-ish prediction that there'll be relatively little revelation jazz overall.

Sanguinius being a last minute traitor may be the only legitimate deal breaker for me.

I would vault the table and physically attack someone if they said that in a meeting.

One of many reasons you are the best :D 

Good to know you oppose Shyamalanan "mandatory WHAT A TWEEST" things.

Side note: that is a totally signature-worthy quote :lol:

Well, at least from you side (which isn't that of a surprise). :wink:

I'd venture a safe-ish prediction that there'll be relatively little revelation jazz overall.

Have to admit that I first misread that replacing the "a" with an "i" which brought a whole different image to mind about the ending of the HH!!!!

Glad  there won't be a "everything you thought you knew was a lie" but a few little twists and "oh of course" moments would stiull be good (perpetuals I am looking at you).

I'm calling it now:

OR

I've said, like, a squillion times: 'Play the hits. Now's not the time for "ACTUALLY..." ' 

I'm only 1/8 of the team, but there will be almost no "ACTUALLY..." in my contribution. There's very little of it in any of my work in general -- compare my HH stuff to most of the others, and you can see there are relatively few 'revelations' or changes to old lore -- but I've said in several Siege meetings that now's the time to play the hits as well as we can.

This, is why I have no fear in any of your works being bad. All of this. Over and over.

The bar for 'capstone on the Series that has ran for years and is central to the entire mythos' should not be 'readable'.

Yeah, and instead we have "the best writer not just of 40K, but flat out, in the entire Black Library stable", so.

I mean, I recognise you and others feel differently, but I am literally unable to imagine how that could be.

The bar for 'capstone on the Series that has ran for years and is central to the entire mythos' should not be 'readable'.

Yeah, and instead we have "the best writer not just of 40K, but flat out, in the entire Black Library stable", so.

I mean, I recognise you and others feel differently, but I am literally unable to imagine how that could be.

If I could offer any advice right now it is this, just let it go.  I feel like we are living an example of internet memery and groupthink gone wild.  All of a sudden Dan Abnett is the worst most terrifying author around.  I am not sure where this tribalism over ADB, Abnett, and Wraight came from. I also happen to think that Haley, McNeill, and French have a great track record.

But my point is there is nothing you can say to stop this current fad, you could ask for and refute any point raised and it wouldn't matter.  We just have to wait it out.

And in the meantime, get Anarch when it is released and you will see a dude absolutely crushing the essence of 40k and you will have no doubts (Know No Fear?) that the end of the Siege will be epic.

Are you guys trying to convince Scribe to enjoy an author he's personally tepid on through... citation? I'm confused, that isn't really how that works.

Even more confused about theories like "Sanguinius will turn traitor" being taken as anything more than a meme. Things have changed in-series, aye, not always for the better. I liked Legion just fine, and I don't mind the Cabal or Perpetual plot, but the... interesting choice of making Alpharius` turn based on a xenos conspiracy rather than his resentment of Guilliman and friendship with Horus was pretty clearly an attempt to broaden the scope of the tale. That is to say, not a change for its own sake, but in a wide series like the Heresy, an attempt to make things more interesting at the start so more dynamic stories could be told afterwards. YMMV on success, of course.

But the Siege itself is like... an automatic success handed to them on a silver platter, so long as they just flesh out a few odds and ends. What possible response to Sanguinius turning traitor they could expect beyond "collective fandom aneurysm," I'm not sure. 

No. If someone says, I don’t like Dan Abnett’s style of writing, you are right that seems like a personal choice and though I might disagree it just is what it is.

If someone says, I think Dan Abnett can’t be trusted to write the last book bc of x, y, and z, that is an assertion that can be and is appropriately responded to through proof (though still subjective in ways) or citations that the worry is misplaced.

There are people on the Heresy staff who enjoy ‘ACHUALLY’ narratives. It’s definitely a real impulse. The whole Heresy being a lie, the black books being a fake recounting, the Emperor orchestrating the Heresy intentionally are all out there now as plausible explanations and people don’t like that. It’s a matter of taste. Nobody has a problem with things like the Black Books being a historical version of one writers take on the Heresy, and that version differs from another.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka
Removed off-topic, real-world references.

If I could offer any advice right now it is this, just let it go.  

Probably the correct path. No minds will be changed here.

I'm just glad we have ADB pushing for less 'ACTUALLY' so we get the story we expect.

As to the Heresy (bringing it all home a bit) that Short by Goulding? Thats an 'ACTUALLY' and he's got the tweets laughing about it and what it did to shake people up.

Thats fine, if thats what he wants to go for. Its not central to my story of the Heresy, so its just like all the 'shattered legion' material, and 99% of the Raven Guard material, and 99% of the Salamander material, and the Knights Errant material.

Way too much of the story, is not 'playing the hits' that we signed up for.

Thats fine, there is a reason I stopped buying these books.

The Siege however, and especially the final, I feel cannot be like that. These need to be the stories, in the back drops, that we expect because times up, there will not be any more after this.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka
Removed off-topic content.