To finally paint an Army - Space Wolves

Oshikai

Hey community,

I haven`t painted an Army in Ages. In the past I have been primarily a Warhammer Fantasy Player...and we all know how that ended. During End Times I lost all passion for the Hobby and painting Miniatures. Additionally Painting tends to be a chore for me, while at the same time I forbid myself to play unpainted...which basically means I never play. 

Can`t have that. I really want to get some gaming in.

This Time around my aim is to pick an easy color sheme and techniques. Tabletop Standard is the Goal, decent lookng in a group but actually something I should be able to finish. Originally I had started some Imperial Fists, and while I love the striking color scheme...painting yellow is killing me.

Enter the Warriors of the Rout, those Guys where one of my first armies 20 Years ago, maybe I finish to actually paint them this time around.

I started on a Squad of Grey Hunters. My Aim is Basecoat, Recess Wash, one or two Highlights. I haven`t touched a brush in ages, which shows and I was not sure if I wanted to start a thread with all those rather amazing projects around. But keeping engaged helps with motivation.

None of them is finished yet and I am allready starting to slack, but its allready more than I have painted past 4 years. More decent pictures will happen when I finish and base them.

C&C allways welcome :)

60FEk3Q.jpg?1

NHOT37I.jpg?1

nv7YEAf.jpg

IUPubi0.jpg

AuJEfnQ.jpg

SgJOIQM.jpg?1

Thank you Kassil, glad you like them so far :smile.:

I am no fan of the Bluish grey they tend to use for post heresy Wolves. In a perfect world I would go more in a Dawnstone direction but that would mean at least another coat...which defeats the purpose of trying to actually finish something ^^.

I am struggling with all those edge highlights and 40k Miniatures in general, its a different beast from my fantasy painting, but hopefully that will geat easier over Time

Edit:

Thank you so much FearPeteySodes!!!

You army is one of the inspirations behind this Project to be honest, plainly one of the best rendtions of Space Wolves i have ever seen and puts everything that you will see here to shame :D

Edited by Oshikai

I like what you've done with your Space Wolves:thumbsup: ……. each figure is distinct and your paint work is very good. It may just be the lighting, but there seems to be more grey than blue in the armor color (which I like)….. What paints did you use?

Again, excellent work.... looking forward to seeing more:yes:

Thanks a bunch  Brother Lunkhead,

Its grey, more akin to  the Pre- Heresy Paint scheme which I prefer.

The "recipe" is rather easy:

Prime Black

Prime Mechanicus Standard Grey (I found that the color Primers yielded better results for me over a previous coat of black Primer)

Paint Mechanicus Standard Grey, as it has a different hue from the primer and I want the pot color for easier touch ups later on

Recess Wash Agrax Earth Shade

Edge Highlight Astronomican Grey

As for the models, I took some inspiration from the Novel Blood of Asaheim. I liked the Idea of a Grey Mane returning from its Deathwatch Tour and having trouble to find its place among its former pack. And I enjoyed the Idea that a Pack Member actually flyes their dedicated Transport, thats why one of them looks like a Pilot.

As someone who has tried and failed several times to get an army painted, I wish you luck, brother! Based on what you've put up in this thread, you're well on your way to a very nice looking wolves army. 

Regarding your comment about not wanting to post with all the other amazing projects around, just think "I can't do that yet" instead of "I can't do that". 

Not having a painted army since the mid to late 90s, I know this pain... I'm slowly working on my Death Guard I started last December. I've only got 10 models completed, but its more than I've painted in decades. 

And yeah, these are great for not having touched a brush in a while. the neatness of those edge highlights are insane... 

Thank you Guys for all the kind words. Thats the main Reason why I signed up. The one Thing that kept me going in the past was finding a great Forum Community over on Bugmans Brewery, a forum for WHFB Dwarves.  Its allways been a community in some form or another that motivated me.

Your paint jobs are good. Are the models' right hands magnetized, so you can replace their weapons with whichever you feel are necessary in your next battle?

Indeed they are, so far every pack has one magnetized special weapon bearer and one Member that can switch to a Plasma Pistol. Eventually they will get Pack Leaders and Wolf Guard Leaders, also magnetized. I remember my first Marine Army that I played for over a decade, going though Edition after edition and Codex after Codex. I was amassing  Special weapon Marines to keep up with the Meta...never again.

As someone who has tried and failed several times to get an army painted, I wish you luck, brother! Based on what you've put up in this thread, you're well on your way to a very nice looking wolves army. 

Regarding your comment about not wanting to post with all the other amazing projects around, just think "I can't do that yet" instead of "I can't do that". 

You are perfectly right, and I know I shouldn`t be discouraged by something like that, quite the opposite. 

Not having a painted army since the mid to late 90s, I know this pain... I'm slowly working on my Death Guard I started last December. I've only got 10 models completed, but its more than I've painted in decades. 

And yeah, these are great for not having touched a brush in a while. the neatness of those edge highlights are insane... 

Thats awesome Welles, and I am not being sarcastic. I know perfectly well how much it means for slower Painters like us to paint up a Squad, keep going!

About the neatness...I wished. I really struggle, the only reason why they look like that is because I spent an ungodly amount of Time in making them thinner by touching everything up with the Base color. It wil hopefully get easier with practice and muscle memory.

I am going with an urban basing scheme for them. Most Bases are self made. Cork, Plastic Card, General Rubbish from my Worktable, Etched brass and some resin bits from those old Basing Kits GW used to sell. I threw in 3 of the newer pre made Bases out of lazyness, but I am gonna keep them to a minimum to cut down on Time I need to make Bases myself. 

Z8s04EI.jpg?1

• 4 weeks later...

More shoddy Handy Pics and a bit of progress, although not much. I started work on a 2nd Squad instead of finishing the first one...which probably would have been a more sensible approach :biggrin.:

I was a bit worried about painting faces after my long hiatus but I am satisfied how they are turning out, apart from the eyes. The sad state of my brushes is also  not helping in that regard. Now I should get myself to actually finish some of those Dudes :rolleyes:

2dq1uDP.jpg?1

ZtQz5Zv.jpg?1

Edited by Oshikai

• 7 months later...

After having slacked past months and getting distracted by a myriad of other Things I am back to painting. Considering that this was supposed an attempt at "speedy" Army Painting, those Guys have been sitting on my Table way too long. I decided to prepare a Campaign, starting in december,  for my local Store.

Since allready 12 Players have signed up I hope this will give me the much needed motivation to plough through this. 

There was a lot more (Markings, more Highlights, Weathering) I wanted to do with this Guys, but I decided to call them finished and move on. I can allways come back when I have gotten the Bulk to this Table Ready Standard. 

C&C allways welcome

Cheers :)

pR9AVkN.jpg

Edited by Oshikai

The Wolves are looking great. Really nice standard for "table ready." I'd be happy with that level for my final paint job. Keep up the good work. A full army of these guys will look ace.

PS: really like the Deathwatch Vet with the leather hood and cape. Its a different but really effective look for the Wolves

Thanks you Guys for your kind words, I am happy how they are turnig out and I know I tend to be overly critical, something I need to work on since its one of the main reasons I am struggling with painting. It just hinders you, a healthy drive to get better allways makes sense, but I need to stop nitpicking. Everything is better than an unpainted Pile of Plastic.

The Deathwatch Guy and the Pilot where Inspired by the "Blood of Asaheim" Novel. I liked the Idea of a Grey Hunter leaving his pack for the Deathwatch, just to come back changed and having trouble to readjust to his role within the Pack. Originally I has built those Models for 7th Edition Kill Team but never finished them.

I am struggling what to do with the Cloack, I really dig how the Eavy Metal Team painted the Primaris chaplain cloack but I have no clue how to emulate that Look and I haven`t found a Leather Tutorial that really convinces me.

Edited by Oshikai

Appologies for these small WIP Updates, but it helps me to stay motivated. Shoddy Handy Pics incoming, can`t find the USB Cable for my proper Camera.

I painted up the Bases for the Squad and I am happy how the Basing Theme is working. I know its probably too much grey in grey, but I just love Urban Warfare Basing and I am in general a Fan of muted colors. If I can ever find my Pigments, I will add some. Also happy that all those bases are Scratch Built:

MCSTzv6.jpg

I also tried my Hand on a Leather Cloack for the first Time, while I am not entirely convinced, I learned quiet a bit and I am happy to leave it as is:

ttoYLVV.jpg

RcOK93X.jpg

My utmost Thanks for your kind words Guys. The Squad is done, I am extremely chuffed since those are the first Models painted in 4 Years and my first 40k Miniatures in over a Decade. I am Happy how they turned out considering I am just getting back into the Saddle.

Although seing the Pictures I realize that I forgot the Gem Work and the Combat Knife. Alas, probably after the neyt Squad since I can`t see these Guys anymore :D.

X1LTva9.jpg

YAM1oks.jpg

r8TEj7W.jpg

h2ob9nB.jpg

C&C allways welcome 

Cheers

Thank you both  :).

Feeling rather upbeat after that first step I was actually able to keep up motivation and turn back to the 2nd Squad I had begun. This Time I decided to just work on one Model at a Time and while its probably not as efficient I am finding it a lot less stressful. Hated how much of a chore those last five felt.

BVBtIes.jpg

8ewieLO.jpg

That left Eye is rather wonky, buts the best I could do after several trys. And to be honest, nobody is really gonna notice on the Battlefield.

Thank you Bjorn :).

opBJy9G.jpg

vl5Iwi7.jpg

Nearly there, Metalls need some work and there is a dried up Bolter on he Base next to the Ammunition planned.

I really have to say that I enjoyed it way more to work on a single Miniature in contrast to a squad, probably continue that way. There is no sudden raise in Quality but I don`t hate life as much. Thats worth something