Coming into Mars' orbit after 15 years

Man of Iron

I highly recommend the GW clippers for all your sprue-assembly needs, and the mould line remover is a hidden gem from my experience with it.  GW equipment seems a bit on the high end price-wise, but I can say after using both tools for over a year now that neither have dulled and I haven't bothered to reach for other tools.

Haven't used the clippers myself but I have held them and they are well made. Not sure if they keep their sharpness? Completely agree on the mouldline remover, you will never stop using it once you start, although I have recently started to use my knife again working on my Dark Imperium models as the mould lines are chaosified, especially on the shoulder pads.

Haven't used the clippers myself but I have held them and they are well made. Not sure if they keep their sharpness?

Over a year later and probably 3 armies worth of clipping prior to assembly, mine are still just as sharp and don't squash bits like wire cutters and other clippers tended to.  I usually critique harshly on hobby tools/paints/etc., but I have nothing but good things to say about GW's sprue clippers.

Have you had any experience with the drill? I brought a crap one off amazon and regreted it from the start.

Got a good pair of clippers from the hobbie store but its finally showing signs of dulling so I will be buying the GW one soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Praise to the Omnispousia! Deliveries have arrived, although the servitors are forbidden to disturb them yet.

I must be patient and bide my time.

New units incoming:

1 Tech-Priest Dominus
20 Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers
1 Tech-Priest Enginseer

5 Sicarian Ruststalkers
2 Kastelan Robots

1 Cybernetica Datasmith
2 Onager Dunecrawlers

med_gallery_127575_15086_43832.jpg

med_gallery_127575_15086_195934.jpg

That's a pretty solid looking collection right there. Not sure how competitive it is but with two Onagers and a pair of Kastellans you can't go too far wrong. :smile.:

Thanks, not to mention I still have my Forgebane box waiting which adds: 

1 Tech-Priest Dominus

10 Skitarii Rangers/Vanguards

2 Armiger Warglaives

I do like the look of the Kastelans and Kataphrons, so I definitely want to get more of them when I finish what I have so far.

Well, I have made more (epub) purchases:

sml_gallery_127575_15018_393968.jpg + sml_gallery_127575_15018_285272.jpg

I'm going to be going over the new point values to see what size army I'll have. Plus, I'll need to decide on specific weapons to arm them with.

As a big fan of the old Armageddon campaign, with the AdMech presence already on Vigilus, I'm thinking of using the Stygies VIII colors. I know they're not much different from Mars' red, so I'm a bit undecided because where I'd like to tie them into a campaign for some "history" I know I could go with standard Mars' red and they'd fit in anywhere. It's like committing to a space marine chapter, once you it do the die is cast! You take them for better or for worse along with their background.

It's one of the things I try not overthinking about while I'm thinking about it. :biggrin.:

Stygies VIII is mighty neat in concept, but the Mechanicus colour schemes somewhat irritate me with their fixation on red.

I'd always happily advocating moving away from Martian reds: Voss Prime, Metallica, Deimos. My own browncoats/Space Janitors even do alright, though they're still a touch close to Ryza's orange.

I'd happily encourage non-celebrity Forge Worlds, or even for you to go off-piste into tech-guard territory. (Well, it's not strictly Tech-Guard, but a Skitarii Legion whose operation is largely disjoint or at least very distant from a specific Forge World.)

And Viligus offers precisely that opportunity. They name Stygies a few times, but the presence of the Adeptus Mechanicus on Vigilus is prolific to put it mildly - you could go for the tech-guard household of one of the name Tech-Priest from the campaign? Who is the Archmagos successor to the Dominus that short-circuits?

I like how the black works with the red, these are my Stygies, nothing on the Kill Team models that are beautiful.

20180801_154344.jpg?width=601&height=451

Wow! :thumbsup: 

Hey, the GW 'Heavy Metal' dudes aren't of this world, but these are very cool in my opinion. 

Stygies VIII is mighty neat in concept, but the Mechanicus colour schemes somewhat irritate me with their fixation on red.

I'd always happily advocating moving away from Martian reds: Voss Prime, Metallica, Deimos. My own browncoats/Space Janitors even do alright, though they're still a touch close to Ryza's orange.

I'd happily encourage non-celebrity Forge Worlds, or even for you to go off-piste into tech-guard territory. (Well, it's not strictly Tech-Guard, but a Skitarii Legion whose operation is largely disjoint or at least very distant from a specific Forge World.)

And Viligus offers precisely that opportunity. They name Stygies a few times, but the presence of the Adeptus Mechanicus on Vigilus is prolific to put it mildly - you could go for the tech-guard household of one of the name Tech-Priest from the campaign? Who is the Archmagos successor to the Dominus that short-circuits?

Yes, picking a formal color scheme and attached history and Forge World can be rough.

Forge Deimos is one I'm considering. In Greek mythology, he was the personification of terror (his name meant 'dread'). Son of Ares and Aphrodite, his twin brother was Phobos ("fear") name of the other Martian moon,  and interestingly there are no stories of him other than he was a mere representation of the terror brought upon humans by war. It connects their Forge with the Grey Knights, and I'm not planning an Astartes army. 

Forge Lucius, although red robed, has an interesting history and a cool Dyson-sphere world. They also have an established Knight House.

Forge Metalica has a sharp clean white look. Their world is all of metal and they have history in the Wars of Armageddon (which I enjoyed playing in during GW's worldwide campaign).

Forge Gryphonne, or the 'Lost Forge' is looking for a new world to rebuild what they've lost. They're similar to Metalica's look and their Knights have been all but lost, last seen fighting on Cadia. 

Then there's always doing a homemade scheme, taking elements of the ones I like and making them my own. 

Stygies VIII is grounded to Vigilus' history. They're distrusted by other AdMech and have been up to some secretive excavations on Vigilus for the last thousand years. Depending on the campaign, if I paint them this way, my skitarii could be losing their world too. Archmagos Nesium Caldrike seized the malfunctioning Ipluvius XIV, had him placed in cryostorage and took his place commanding the AdMech forces. They both seem to be from Stygies as well, although there have also been numerous AdMech reinforcements from other Forge Worlds arriving to assist them. 

Wow! :thumbsup: 

Hey, the GW 'Heavy Metal' dudes aren't of this world, but these are very cool in my opinion. 

Thank you but they still have alot more work to be done, I have to try to learn how to shade black as its just a mat black right now, which I was happy with when I did them originally but now seems like a place to improve. Also :censored: me with the antenna I have lost from them, spindly, snap as you look at them! And for the love of the Omnissiah do the bases before you finish the model, I had to put Martian Ironcrust between those "I skipped leg day" legs, that was fun!

I chose Stygies because if I ever found my way into that Universe I would be a researching Heretic and thats basically what Stygies are. The reason they are so distrusted is because when they come into contact with Xenos gear they actually attempt to take it appart to learn from it... I know theres a lot of neuance there and I do believe most Mechanicus Tech-Priests are a little too Bond Villan in their characters.

Thats why I run my army with Cawl(Can't wait to see how his continued tinkering with the Imperium contrasts with the "keep it as it is" of the rest of the Mechanicus.) and Stygies. Thankfully GW decided to give them among the strongest rules :biggrin.:

Hi my name is BK and I am a Heretic.

Archived