What are Thousand Sons hoping for from Chapter Approved?

Prot

Part of what makes the cheaper units so good is you get more mileage out of strats and the strats are sometimes specific to these units (ie recycle Cultists, Goats eat twice, etc ).

I also play quite a mix and I probably am not going to deviate from playing 20ish goats which goes back to saying this wouldn’t mean a heck of a lot if reductions are that small.

If the character costs are being slashed as much as rumoured that could be huge. I heard FLG say their AdMech is reduced triple digits in a typical list.

Poking through my codex and Battlescribe a bit tonight, and something occurred to me that might be nice to help - Sorcerers. As in normal ones. Does anyone use them? Why would you when you have the Exalted option? The extra hitting skill and re-roll aura seems useful to me, but it's also a theme thing.

A Sorcerer who is the same as any other CSM spell flinger doesn't seem fitting for the Thousand Sons :confused: It seems a bit odd that Exalted Champions in C:CSM are a nice extra option for sub-commanders yet there's no equivalent here - a Sorcerer is simply a budget option?

I don't expect a change in CA of course, but this bugs me now :P

I use sorcerers, they're not as good, but a budget option. Personally I struggle to justify the exalteds as the extra combat proficiency doesn't always get used, they don't get any psychic benefits and the rerolls are easy to come by for TS.

I'd like the exalted sorcerer to get a buff that distinguishes it from the sorcerer, and also the DP as I can't ever justify the exalted sorcerer as anything over than a budget DP (the extra 40 pts versus a disc ES is a huge upgrade).

I've always wished exalteds had an aura that buffed casting instead of shooting to distinguish them. Even if it's just a FNP against perils or something.

That slight drop combined with Tzzangor and cultist increase makes Rubrics incredible. Although I tend to mix my lists anyways so the points average out.

Scarab Occult however....might just feature in the army quite a bit if this turns out to be true......

Throw in full smite on those squads and MSU rubrics would be a thing featured in many a list.

Edit: i found this on admechknight.blogspot who took it from Blood of Kittens

Rubric Marines down by 2 points to 16, Tzaangors up to 8 points per model, Cultists and Guardsmen up from 4 points to 5 points (I'm not going to comment on this otherwise Daedalus will hate me more than he already does), warpflamers down from 15 to 10 points. Scarab Occult Terminators down 7 points to 26. Lord of Change now from 320/330 to 245 points - a massive 85 points cut. Wow. And twin lascannons are now down 10 points to 40, especially for Space Marines. So your lascannon Predators are 10 points cheaper (unless normal lascannon drops to 20 as well) and my twin lascannon Contemptor Dreadnoughts are 20 points cheaper. Awesome, I guess? Even better, Rubric Marines (and Grey Knights) are getting Full Smite. So your Aspiring Sorcerers and Scarab Occult Terminators will become more potent than ever! Wow! Still think Thousand Sons should be an army of Tzaangors instead of Rubric Marines?

I still think the warflamer is overcosted, and nothing about the icon which is overcosted and worthless. Rubric news is absolutely great if true. I would 3 to 4 min sized units for that.

Bringing back my predators would be nice too.

I still 1 point increase for the like of guard and cultists are enough. They may not massively efficient but they are still too points efficient. Unless they changed keywords/strategems or orders.

The icon already costs 5, it can't really be any cheaper.

It just need to change into something else that is actually worth having.

Well it can be up to 4p cheaper and considering how unreliable it is 1-2 points is what I'd pay for it. :biggrin.:

I agree with BoomWolf, the icon should rather become more reliable or do something else entirely instead of becoming cheaper.

Well it can be up to 4p cheaper and considering how unreliable it is 1-2 points is what I'd pay for it. :D

This, as it is i wouldn't pay 5 points for a rule that probably won't happen. It needs a rules re-work.

I keep saying it but i like the AoS rules and 40k keeps borrowing them so might as well take that too.

What's the AoS rule for it?

All upgrades are free (standards, musicians, etc.), but are limited to a certain number per unit, plus weapon options are all balanced against each other to be more or less equivalent and then the price for the model + weapon is included in the per-model cost for the unit.

The last part would be tricky....making sure that say, a Heavy Bolter is buffed to be worth the same as a Lascannon. Could be done, but it would be a LOT of work.

Speaking of AoS, I like the way they handle CP MUCH better. You start with 1 + 1 per Battalion you have (think of AoS Battalions as old Formations) + 1 for every 50 points you have less than your opponenent. There are some special abilities that add them too.

From then on, you receive 1 per turn, creating a running total. For example if you had 2 on Turn 1 and spent none, you'd start turn 3 with 3 CP.

Then, you spend them to activate the Command Abilities on your Heroes' profiles (equivalent to Stratagems). You can opt not to use them and pile up CP for a decisive turn later, or you can be aggressive and spend them right away.

What you can't do is Alpha Strike on Turn 1 and burn 10+ CP to completely bury your opponent.

A lot of stuff would have to receive minor changes, but it could work.

I am really excited to see all the point changes across the board for everyone though am happy about more potent rubric variations,5, 10, 15, 20 man, multiples with mixed load outs even a 5 man flamer might work out, especially with Full Frontal Smite!

SOTs also. Guess it's time to start up another squad of Rubrics!

Me too. I’m using 1 squad usually so I’d love a reason to take 2. Also Scarabs are very high on my list. Ever since the end of 7 th they’ve been one of my favourite looking units. ( I love tha Allarus too).

That stuff is a priority for me bit if it worked out this may open up Tzeentch Daemons for me. I e largely avoided them in 8 th and sold all of them on eBay. But I’ve always loved the look more than most Daemon models. That being said the marine type units are at the top of my want list and quite frankly I think we are due for a ver sizeable reduction in those two units.

I am really excited to see all the point changes across the board for everyone though am happy about more potent rubric variations,5, 10, 15, 20 man, multiples with mixed load outs even a 5 man flamer might work out, especially with Full Frontal Smite!

Yep. Looking at my 15 SOT's and 50 or so Rubricae and thinking of everything I can do if it all works out.

Anybody hear just how much Warpflamers will cost? I keep hearing they will go down, but that's it.

If I can feel competitive with a list comprised fully of actual marines and their support vehicles I will be ecstatic. If I can at least field a lot of them and feel good about the list I'll be content.

Yep. Looking at my 15 SOT's and 50 or so Rubricae and thinking of everything I can do if it all works out.

Anybody hear just how much Warpflamers will cost? I keep hearing they will go down, but that's it.

Blood of Kittens says they'll be 10. Not sure of that's true, though.

10 is what i heard also. A third is a nice reduction. Sure 10 points might be to rich in some instances though with cheaper cost for the unit overall, and again full smite, I am really inclined to field a couple 5 man flamers carpooling a rhino or maybe even 10 with the webway strat.

Prot and Chicken I know we all want to use those SOtermies we got for the formation in 7, what was it called again? I think it was 5 units of SOTs and gave a 2++?

10 is what i heard also. A third is a nice reduction. Sure 10 points might be to rich in some instances though with cheaper cost for the unit overall, and again full smite, I am really inclined to field a couple 5 man flamers carpooling a rhino or maybe even 10 with the webway strat.

Prot and Chicken I know we all want to use those SOtermies we got for the formation in 7, what was it called again? I think it was 5 units of SOTs and gave a 2++?

Sekhmet Conclave was +1 Toughness. Reroll saves if you had max units, which was 9 squads of SOT and 1 HQ :)

War Cabal was reroll saves of 1 for max units (3 x Terminators and a lot of other stuff but doable at MSU), and reroll failed To Hit of 1.

10 is about right from a balance perspective. Hopefully regular Flamers go down to, say, 7 or so for everyone, given how easy it is to make long charges for certain factions now. Flamers shouldn't be nearly useless against Genestealers and Orks.

I tried a full Sehkmet once... crazy stuff with rerolls.....lol

Anyway, I mention this because the formations are 'dead' and won't see resurrection within CA, BUT we may see them in some part of Vigilus.

Yep. I bet a ton of stuff from Traitor Legions is coming back in campaign books in this new form.

I'm calling it now that Raptor Talon, Bringers of Despair (already hinted in a rumor) and maybe the Heldrake Terror Pack or Cyclopea Cabal will be back in Vigilus.

I tried a full Sehkmet once... crazy stuff with rerolls.....lol

Anyway, I mention this because the formations are 'dead' and won't see resurrection within CA, BUT we may see them in some part of Vigilus.

Yep. I bet a ton of stuff from Traitor Legions is coming back in campaign books in this new form.

I'm calling it now that Raptor Talon, Bringers of Despair (already hinted in a rumor) and maybe the Heldrake Terror Pack or Cyclopea Cabal will be back in Vigilus.

Bringers of despair? is that the terminators? 

I would hope that inferno guns come down, if were actually 16 ppm total that would be stellar. Though 17-18 is acceptable and still in a decent range IMHO. Not sure how much cheaper marines like ours can get. Perhaps we will be even with plauge marines at 17ppm which is reasonable for what we get for the cost. Relatively survivable, great shooting, a caster built in. Heck of a thing if true. 

This also makes me want to do a Rubrick with 10+ flamers, DMC them across the table then warptime then and flambe everything nearby. (According to last FAQ due to changed wording items like DMC do NOT count as coming out of reserve, as such can move again) 

May actually be close to being worth it. 

Do you have a source on that? I think the ruling was based on "setting up," not on being reserves.

The thing I saw was that the part about "setting up" was removed from the FAQ, and now only counts against models that are actually coming in as "reserves" not models that just started on the table. 

Thats the way it is RAW due to the FAQ part 2.  Least as far as I am aware. 

Archived