Thoughts from my first game with the new Codex

patchestheclown

So just got finished my first game with the new Ork Codex and I wanted to jot down a couple of thoughts and ask what your thoughts/experiences have been. The game ended in a 12-12 tie but woulda been a stomp for me if on turn 2 I hadn't failed all 3 of my charges. One with a tellyporta gorka into his Knight Valiant, the second of a battlewagon w/ deffrolla into his aggressors, and 30 boyz into an intercessor squad. Even with re-rolls and ramming speed strategem I whiffed hard! Luckily there was enough target saturation that enough survived to run amok in his lines.

Random Thoughts:

Orks hit hard! I'm not just talking about squads of 30 boyz either. My warboss had the killy klaw and the brutal but kunning trait and ended up dealing 20 dmg to his Knight Valiant in one combat! (He had fist of gork on him too)

Dakka Dakka Dakka is really fun! Ork shooting is still pretty unreliable but I got waaaayyyy more hits than I ever expected to and it was always super fun to roll a couple of extra shots even if they rarely were impactful. I do have to say when I threw the more dakka strat on my tankbustas 100-0'd the corvus they were shooting at my friend and I definitely did a double take

Tankbustas are REALLY GOOD! These guys did work all game long. Shooting at vehicles they were incredible (rerolls + DDD meant I almost always got 5+ hits) but they were good at popping the MSU primaris marines as well

9" charges are easy to fail! I was even running Evil Suns for that +1"  to charges and I routinely failed the 8" charge even with 'ere we go. Again I'm sure with more games it'll even out but it was especially acute with this first game.

Orks die really fast. I know surprise, surprise right. A T4 6+ save model dies quickly when shot at. While I expected my boyz die fast I was more surprised by how fast my nobz, bikes, and HQs died in melee too. I was up against deathwatch so there were a lot of thunder hammers but High strength melee was the bane of all my elites since my saves were so few and far between (even with deathskulls 6++). Could just be a symptom of fighting the army I did but it caught me off guard a bit as orks don't seem to have too many resilient infantry options.

Orks run out of steam. This ties into the last point but either I ran over people or I just never seemed to have enough and then with falling back and other squads shooting the orks just melted away. I ended the game with two squads of 20+ boyz left on the field but lots of my other squads seemed to get whittled down pretty quickly.

So what are your big thoughts/takeaways from your games with the new codex? Overall I had a blast and it was a really fun game (way better than with the index). How do you deal with orks fraility? What units are performing well for you?

Archived