Including Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher in Intercessor KT

Syward

Few QQs on taking a Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher rules/strategy.

If I have a unit of 5x Intercessors and include 1x Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher, the abilities description for the Grapnel Launcher says:

“… during deployment you can set up this unit if it is equipped with Grapnel launchers behind enemy lines instead of placing it on the battlefield…”

1. Does this mean that the unit of 6 (5x Intercessors + Reiver) can be set up behind enemy lines or does this only apply to a unit of Reivers since only the Reivers are equipped with Grapnel Launchers?
  2. If I can set up the unit of 6 (5x Intercessors + Reiver) behind enemy lines, does this count as holding units in reserve and I still have to have half of the units placed on the battle field?
  3. If including a Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher lets me deploy the whole Intercessor unit behind enemy lines, this lets me essentially deep strike w/out paying CP for it (although it’s not as flexible since it has to be within 6” of the battlefield edge) right?

Thanks in advance.

It gets a bit confusing, but the way I parse it (if this is wrong, keep me honest Brothers) is that the grapnel launcher you pick up in the Intercessor squad provides only the effect listed under the abilities section of the Intercessor data sheet and does not award you any other bonuses that may be listed on other data sheets or in other sections. The Wargear section therefore acts more as a reference tool rather than a rules resource, but due to the nature of mixed squads gets a bit hairy. I find it best to just rely on the data sheet alone, whenever possible. 

As a side effect, this parsing of the rules would mean that a 10 man Intercessor squad split evenly between Reivers and Intercessors, if combat squadded, would not gain the deep strike ability of the grapnel launcher as it is not specifically described as an ability on that unit's data sheet.

Does that make any sense or am I just completely mad?

1. As such, no - the unit does not gain this bonus from grapnel launchers regardless of the number of models in the unit that carry them. 

2. See 1. 

3. See 1. 

Few QQs on taking a Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher rules/strategy.

If I have a unit of 5x Intercessors and include 1x Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher, the abilities description for the Grapnel Launcher says:

“… during deployment you can set up this unit if it is equipped with Grapnel launchers behind enemy lines instead of placing it on the battlefield…”

• Does this mean that the unit of 6 (5x Intercessors + Reiver) can be set up behind enemy lines or does this only apply to a unit of Reivers since only the Reivers are equipped with Grapnel Launchers?
  • If I can set up the unit of 6 (5x Intercessors + Reiver) behind enemy lines, does this count as holding units in reserve and I still have to have half of the units placed on the battle field?
  • If including a Reiver w/Grapnel Launcher lets me deploy the whole Intercessor unit behind enemy lines, this lets me essentially deep strike w/out paying CP for it (although it’s not as flexible since it has to be within 6” of the battlefield edge) right?

You need to consult Kill Team sheet, not the Reiver one. It's completely different unit, and sadly, they get worse (less versatile) wargear. Both grapnel and jump pack in mixed unit only IIRC provide the slightly better move to that model, no deep strike or anything like that.They really should just gave option to DW primaris models to all take grapnels and be done with it. Funnily enough, CA ads on WC heavily hint they will soon allow mixing of primaris equipment at least on characters, though knowing GW writers, this will apply only to Codex SM and not DW...

This is a great way to save some precious CP !

You mean to cheat, alas? :whistling:

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the codex, I see the difference in between the grapnel launchers abilities for the different units. I was at work using Battle Scribe to play with unit compositions and that's what led to the confusion. (Seemed to good to be true which is why I asked you all.) Battle Scribe has the full description of grapnel launchers when you add a Reiver to an Intercessor Squad instead of the abridged version in the codex.

It's strange though that taking a grapnel launcher on a Reiver in an Intercessor Squad doesn't grant the ability to the whole unit though when we can gain the benifits of including a single Aggressor or a single Inceptor. 

I mean I understand why it doesn't, we get the Shock Grenade & Terror Troops from the Reivers, and if we got the benefit of the grapnel launcher too, it would negate the need to pay CP's to deep strike a unit. 

It's strange though that taking a grapnel launcher on a Reiver in an Intercessor Squad doesn't grant the ability to the whole unit though when we can gain the benifits of including a single Aggressor or a single Inceptor. 

I mean I understand why it doesn't, we get the Shock Grenade & Terror Troops from the Reivers, and if we got the benefit of the grapnel launcher too, it would negate the need to pay CP's to deep strike a unit. 

I think it's as simple as one is an effect provided by the presence of the model in the unit, while the other is an effect gained from adding wargear to that specific model. Adding a grenade launcher to an Intercessor, for instance, doesn't give extra range on all grenades, just his grenades. Likewise adding a grapnel launcher to a Reiver only affects him.

So i just started deathwatch. I have some for killteam and expanding into a fully fledged army.

Here is something to think about. Deathwatch primaris can combat squad right? So you could include 5 intercessors and what 5 rievers combat sqaud and then reivers could use thme because they arent technically acting in the same squad.

Like Lemondish mentioned, to get the full benefit of the Grapnel Launchers, they'd have to be purchased & taken in an Elite slot b/c the ability entry under Intercessors only allows for the vertical movement benefit.

So i just started deathwatch. I have some for killteam and expanding into a fully fledged army.

Here is something to think about. Deathwatch primaris can combat squad right? So you could include 5 intercessors and what 5 rievers combat sqaud and then reivers could use thme because they arent technically acting in the same squad.

I think I addressed that early on in the thread - the answer is (sadly) no. They do not turn into a Reiver squad - they're still an Intercessor squad - they do not change data sheets when you combat squad them. It's a bit confusing, I know - which isn't helped by GW calling them Intercessors (the name of the unit and some of its models) instead of Fortis Kill Team, which I think would have alleviated this a bit.

That isn't all bad, though - you'd still maintain the abilities like obsec since they remain a troops choice, even if combat squadded. Not a particularly useful unit, but doable.

You gain obsec, but on the flip side, you lose free Reiver sergeant. Which is a pity, if you could include two sarges in 5 men combat squad, you'd have the closest thing to a primaris CC unit currently in the game. It's also a pity you can't promote one guy to a black shield, if you think about it, after a century or two even primaris chapters are bound to have troublemakers and exiles...

Archived