The inevitable Primaris Dante

Jorre

After reading Spear of the Emperor. The process to becoming a 2nd generation marine from 1st is going to be a high risk gamble.

What all they have to do might mean Dante stays a 1st generation marine. I hope he survives of course. But I really think they could use this method to remove characters from the lore. If Dante were to survive, which I think it really would be a coin flip, he would indeed become much more powerful.

They wont remove anyone with a model, see Death Company Tycho and normal Tycho still being in the dex, the only one that has ever been removed was the 3rd edition BA standard bearer who had the death shroud of Sang... and no model

There's got to be something to change. Tycho is pretty much irrelevant now, unless they retcon him. His model has had the most upgrades over the years. So if they primarisize him then we will hopefully lose death company everything. Let the gen 1s suffer from the black rage, let the gen 2s suffer from the red thirst.

In either case they need to make room for new primaris heroes and I believe the only way to do that is axe other characters.

It may just be codex marines at first, but eventually it could move to the other codices and I'd be okay with that.

Someone actually had a great point on Facebook. It had to do with the scrolls of Sanguinius from Dante saying "he wore a face of me but armor I do not recognize." He would have recognized Dante's artificer armor as it's pretty close to Sanguinary Guard. He would NOT have recognized Mk X armor.

That's the gist of what the guy on Facebook said.

I prefer Mk..9?  (the Grey Knight style).  Primaris standard armor does look pretty good, except for the helmets.  I don't like those, even though they are quite a bit more sensibe from a protection standpoint the the ole' mouth grille style. 

Mk9 doesn't exist. Grey Knights are wearing Aegis Armour which exists outside of the regular armour marks (same as Terminator Armour and a bunch of others). It's based on Mark VI, VII and VIII designs according to the wikia.

*sighs*

It really confuses me that people want Primaris upgrades to existing characters and not just new Primaris characters. Where's the progression?

There's a lot of adversity to overcome to be had in a character who is feeling insecure as to his future etc. It's what made Calgar interesting in Dark Imperium. He could have been embittered and a counter to the other aspects of the plot with a bit of nuance. Now all that has been obliterated and it's another super Marine who has no fears or doubts.

Don't wish this on your characters. Wish for more. Wish for nuance and depth.

I'm really just interested in Mephiston because I want to see what the future holds for him, especially in regards of his rather special situation with the Black Rage. That being said I don't think it's likely for him to undergo the process since he's becoming increasingly more careful and suspicious about his situation and crunch-wise he already has a better statline than regular Marines.

*sighs*

It really confuses me that people want Primaris upgrades to existing characters and not just new Primaris characters. Where's the progression?

There's a lot of adversity to overcome to be had in a character who is feeling insecure as to his future etc. It's what made Calgar interesting in Dark Imperium. He could have been embittered and a counter to the other aspects of the plot with a bit of nuance. Now all that has been obliterated and it's another super Marine who has no fears or doubts.

Mostly agree Idaho, didn't want primaris in the first place.

But its here now, so may as well wish to get new models for Dante+Mephy, since they're literally some of the oldest models still being sold.

Older than abby actually.

With the ork wartruck replacements, they may be the oldest actually.

*sighs*

I don't really come to 40k for nuance and depth, I come for the badassery.  And there's no denying that Dante is subpar right now both in terms of rules and model, so wishing for a new character instead would really just push Dante aside even further.  I like Dante, I want him to be the centerpiece for my army as he should be and for that to happen he needs to get an update.  What's wrong with that?

*sighs*

I don't really come to 40k for nuance and depth, I come for the badassery. And there's no denying that Dante is subpar right now both in terms of rules and model, so wishing for a new character instead would really just push Dante aside even further. I like Dante, I want him to be the centerpiece for my army as he should be and for that to happen he needs to get an update. What's wrong with that?

I guess just different strokes for different folks. I’m personally on the fence with this one. Definitely think he needs better rules though after CA he’s actually got a price that closer matches his performance on the tabletop. Though I agree he should have gotten a buff to match his price instead...

*sighs*

Over coming adversity. For a millennia Dante has been a super soldier, a ritualistic regime of training. What happens when you turn a super soldier into a more perfect version of himself? Stronger, faster, more agile, better than the old you in every way. Following the change and how our characters adapt to this is what I really want when I talk about the eventual evolution of our characters.

Building a new character up is something they can do, like Felix of the 11th company Ultras and it would be great for both worlds