Wounds assignment strategy

Logiter

Hey all,

Haven't actually had my Deathwatch on the field yet, as i'm waiting until the models are fully painted, but Just a quick question about how you all typically choose what models try to tank wounds.

My two "fully loaded" kill teams look as follows:

Veteran sgt.    (Stormbolter, Powersword)

Black Shield    (Stormbolter, Powersword)

Veteran           (Stormbolter, Powersword)  x4

Vanguard Vet  (Stormshield, Chainsword)  x2

Terminator      (Stormbolter, Powersword)  x2

Expensive? yep. Lethal? Hopefully!

I understand to have my terminator tank the AP0 shots, and the Stormshield to protect against high AP fire. But how do you guys normally handle AP-1?

Am I right in thinking that they should go on the the Terminator as well? As it's going to be a 3+ save either way, shouldn't it be better to force them to go through four wounds instead of two?

Any thoughts you all have would be appreciated!

Depends on the damage of the weapon, what your opponent has to still fire/assault with, etc.

Dmg > 1, storm shield (for example, helverin autocannons, autocannons, etc)

If your opponent still has loads of Ap0 in range to wash onto your vets, then you can just put it on the terminator, as if you lose the wound you would want to use the termi 2+ save anyways.

If for example, they have a bunch of disintegrators left to fire and you clip a wound on your termi, you can say goodbye to him.

However, if you only have 1 storm shield left, it may be wise to keep him alive in case they have some high ap weapons to fire.

Basically it all depends!

Now, while I personally don't run multi wound models in my Kill Teams as a habit, nor do I run terminators as habit, I do have some wound allocation logic:

If D = 1: 
What is AP of weapon?

0: Normal dude/Terminator/Biker
-1: Normal dudes/Terminator
-2+: Storm Shield Veteran/Vanguard Veteran

If D = 2+: 
What is AP of weapon?

0: Normal dude/Terminator
-1: Normal dudes*
-2+: Storm Shield Veteran/Vanguard Veteran*

*With the exception I don't already have a wounded model already

To summarize in English and not in quasi program logic:
Assuming I have the correct equipment (and you should have the correct equipment at the start of the game to enable such calculations), I will put any wound that makes my save worse than 4+ on a storm shield, regardless of source. I will put D2+ weapons on 1 wound models first, unless it has an AP value, and then apply I apply the AP logic.

My plain termies take the AP0 and AP-1 shots before my shields do. Anything AP-2 and above goes on a SS. But also, I take plain termies for the sole purpose of soaking up wounds. A SB and a cheap power weapon is the answer.

Storm shields, however, will always go on my vets because they are the cheapest model within a kill team. I want them to tank hits as well, so you'll never see my VVs with storm shield in a kill team. I want my VVs alive longer then most of my other kill team members so I can back out and shoot. If he dies, you lose that ability.

Your squad is not as expensive as you think. And if ever you feel like saving a few points, you could always combat squad with in 5-man vet team:

-10 man veteran kill team-

Sgt (SB/Sword)

Vet x 4 (SB/Sword)

----

Blackshield (SB/Sword)

Termie (SB/Sword)

VV (pistol/sword)

Vet x 2 (SB/sword)

Combat squading is a tricky strategy because it takes away from your ability to achieve 2 battalions in some cases. But it will save you points if you run a single, or something other then a battalion. I personally enjoy power mauls over swords myself.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Some great advice in here.

I only have a single battalion planned for my 2K army, which is by no means optimized. I started 40k with Space Marines (IF) and then collected some Ad Mech. as well. I've more-or-less given up on trying to be super competitive with lists, as I now have Deathwatch and a pure Khorne daemon, simply because I love the models. 

A little irrelevant to the thread topic, but here is the full 2K list!

HQ - 234

Watchmaster

Watch captain

jump, xenophase, MC BG

Troops - 750 pts

Kill team

6 veterans (stormbolters, power swords)

2 terminators (stormbolters, powerswords)

2 vanguard veterans (Jump pack, Storm shield, chainsword)

Kill team

6 veterans (stormbolters, power swords)

2 terminators (stormbolters, powerswords)

2 vanguard veterans (Jump pack, Stormshield, chainsword)

Kill team

Sgt TH/BG

Blackshield TH/BG

Veteran Fragcannon

Veteran Fragcannon

Veteran combiflamer Stormshield

Veteran combiflamer Stormshield

Heavy - 784

Landraider Achilles

Landraider Proteus

Elite - 230

5 Reivers carbine/pistol

5 Reivers carbine/pistol

I hate taking landraiders that don't have an invulnerable save, haha.

Archived