deathwatch plus some knights or admech?

Takana77

Greetings folks,

Curious about some things with deathwatch armies and mixing other imperial detachments in.

guess this falls under the "Imperial Soup" category perhaps lol.

Since deathwatch doesn't really have all the great of long range anti-tank/anti-vehicle, been thinking of mixing in maybe an imperial gallant or some admech. bought the forgebane and renegade boxes during the holidays :rolleyes:

Admech has lots of units for sitting back and peppering all sorts of targets. they have ironstrider with AC's, onager with neutron - think its the neutron, and basic troops with sniper rifles/arquebuses.

Knights look so cool on the table and mentally make the opponent want to focus fire or sweat bullets. House Mortan to me would be very fluffy (the entire host of monster hunters and constantly besieged by or on patrol for monsters/xeno/fauna in their home system all the time) and think their color scheme would look great with deathwatch on the table. a gallant with thunderfist and thermal cannon and some top carapace weapon pod (thinking icarus array for anti-air).

Admech on paper seem to blend well with all their shooting complementing deathwatch marching/moving across the board to smash things...

Knights on paper would seem to fill the anti-tank/vehicle roll and be a big fire magnet that would buy more time/attention to allow deathwatch units to close the gap...

Curious though... How well or how effective on the table/board are these being added to deathwatch armies?

ive noticed a few posts where folks talk about knights needing lots of command points sunk into them each round to make them effectively get their points back though. guess in order to make the the knight more survivable, i'd make him the warlord with ion bulwark and saint armor of whatever. smash captain should still be decent without warloard trait and not having the beacon wouldn't really hurt him specifically (there would be a JP libby close by trying to buff him with MoH).

also curious about adding in some assassins (have the overkill box sitting in closet)...

I have no actual experience of running Imperial Knights with Deathwatch but plan to add a Knight and 2 Armigers soon. My thoughts:

I think it would be the perfect combination with Deathwatch. If you go for the ranged variants they can sit back and take out targets from a distance, softening up targets for Deathwatch to move in and clean up. If you go for more melee orientated Knights then can soak up fire early giving the Deathwatch time to get into a position to hurt your opponent.

The downside as you have already mentioned is the CP costs to run a Knight force successfully. Deathwatch are also notoriously CP heavy so how you use your 12cp will be key to success (12 = 3 battle forged, 6 for a DW battalion and 3 for a Superheavy Detachment). Lots of people bring the Loyal 32 but I personally feel it doesn't really fit in with an elite force.

AdMech would also be a very good addition to add some ranged firepower. Also a lot cheaper in points to bring a battalion. Kastellan robots and onager dunecrawlers are absolute beasts at range.  

Since I've added the Gallant to my list, I've not looked back. It is big, though enough to soak up a turn's fire which the Deathwatch needs to get into position to do its job, and is devastating enough in combat.

What weapon options do you like to set it up with please?

I should have added - I think it would be a good idea to wait until after Chapter Approved 2018 is released before committing to any of the above.

definitely! and actually, isn't that supposed to drop here soon?

yeah for a super heavy knight detachment i was thinking ranged with the models i have/can get...

8th edition is all new to me (just got the brb-8th a few weeks back if that lol - lots of new stuff i'm trying to wrap my head around)...

these were the 2 ways i was thinking of taking a 1k points dw army and growing it to make an "imperial soup" as folks keep terming it hehe...

DW+IK 2k soup...

Deathwatch Battalion Detachment (1222 points)

HQ:

130 - Watch Captain - JP, SS, TH

122 - Librarian - JP, BP, Force Axe, "Might of Heroes"

Troops:

261 - Veterans Squad

1x Watch Sergeant - Power Maul, SS

3x Veterans - CS, Stalker Pattern Boltgun

1x Veteran - ML

5x Vanguard Veterans - Power Maul, SS

152 - Veterans Squad

1x Black Guard - Power Axe, SS

3x Veterans - SB, CS

1x Veteran - DW Frag Cannon

152 - Veterans Squad

1x Black Guard - Power Axe, SS

3x Veterans - SB, CS

Elites:

165 - Venerable Dreadnought - ML, TLC

Dedicated Transport:

120 - Razorback - TLC

120 - Razorback - TLC

Imperial Knights Super-Heavy Detachment (778 points)

Household Choice:

Questor Imperialis - House Mortan

Lord of War:

174 - Armiger Helverin - HS

174 - Armiger Helverin - HS

430 - Knight Errant - Warlord, "Ion Bulwark", "Armor of Sainted Ion", Thunderstrike Gauntlet, Twin Icarus Autocannon, HS

2x lazbacks, ven dread, 2x helverins, and knight with thermal cannon should be able to dish out some decent ranged attacks. i took the icarus to give me a decent AA attack. dread camps out in the back with the ML vet combat squad. captain and libby and vanguard vet combat squad bounce forward and thump things that need thumping. the other 2 squads hop in a lazback each and move up (hoping sarge and black shield with ss/power weapons provide some durability for their squads). the knights do their thing.

alternatively...

DW+AM 2k soup...

Deathwatch Battalion Detachment (1210 points)

HQ:

130 - Watch Captain - JP, SS, TH, Warlord, "Bane of Monstrosities", "The Beacon Angelis"

122 - Librarian - JP, BP, Force Axe, "Might of Heroes"

Troops:

261 - Veterans Squad

3x Veterans - CS, Stalker Pattern Boltgun

1x Veteran - ML

5x Vanguard Veterans - Power Maul, SS

146 - Veterans Squad

4x Veterans - SB, CS

146 - Veterans Squad

4x Veterans - SB, CS

Elites:

165 - Venerable Dreadnought - ML, TLC

Dedicated Transport:

120 - Razorback - TLC

120 - Razorback - TLC

Adeptus Mechanicus Battalion Detachment (790 points)

Forge World Choice:

Mars (not sure)

HQ:

47 - Tech-Priest Enginseer

47 - Tech-Priest Enginseer

Troops:

92 - Skitarii Rangers

1x Ranger Alpha - Galvanic Rifle, Omnispex

2x Skitarii Rangers - Galvanic Rifle

2x Skitarii Rangers - Transuranic Arquebus

92 - Skitarii Rangers

92 - Skitarii Rangers

Heavy Support:

145 - Onager Dunecrawler - Neutron Laser w/ Cognis HS, Cognis HS, Broad Spectrum Data-tether

145 - Onager Dunecrawler - Neutron Laser w/ Cognis HS, Cognis HS, Broad Spectrum Data-tether

130 - Onager Dunecrawler - Icarus Array, Broad Spectrum Data-tether

2x lazbacks, ven dread, 2x neutron onagers should put out ok ranged attacks. took the icarus on 3rd onager for AA attack. dread camps out in the back with the ML vet demi squad. captain and libby and vanguard vet demi squad bounce forward and thump things that need thumping (captain can drop beacon to pull a DW squad if needed/wanted). the other 2 vet squads hop in a lazback each and move up and bump things while rangers hang back and snipe out HQ & force multipliers/buffers.

Archived