Primaris deathwatch testimonials

durdle-durdle

Modifications made to the DW or Primaris rules have the capacity to break the perceived symbiosis and attested effectiveness of Primaris in this context.

E.g. it is conceivable (if not especially likely) that CA might balance things to make Veterans strikingly more efficient, with non-SB options attractive

If that happens, and I expect one day that will happen in some form, then this vaunted reasoning is for naught - synergies will be broken, and svelte elegance may be lost - and so the DW Primaris might be somewhat lacklustre and expensive compared to running Primaris as Codex Adeptus Astartes itself.

Afterwall, it would be very strange indeed for GW to sustain and grow the idea that Deathwatch is 'the best way to do Primaris en masse'.

To answer the OP, only used DW once in anger against horde orks. My intergressor squad was my standout performer. Used them to hold the centre ground of the board very successfully. But like I said only ran them once.

Further question, possibly little off topic (edit if necessary), of the two primaris battleforces which one in the fraters opinion is best for adding to/starting off with primaris in DW

I do try too but sometimes people wear out the welcome mat figuratively speaking. We are quite tactical in this forum and Deathwatch is currently the most competitive SM dex imho. Primaris work because you can mix Marines from different units... you don't need a Reiver with a plasma pistole.

I think Xisor's point is that the options to mix and match that deeply appeal to many and, in many cases, can emulate what can already be done with a Fortis team, so why even maintain the limitations? Basically, if I'm parsing it right, why even maintain these limitations that take complicated combinations to overcome when a simple "give access to X wargear to model Y" would be simpler. It's a uniquely different perspective because it both has merit but also misses the point of Primaris.

I do not disagree that it's a draw to make those types of choices for your units. That's a compelling point, and shouldn't be discounted. The simplicity for Primaris comes less from streamlining access to wargear and instead focusing everyone on what the baseline model contributes to the unit. Veterans select models AND relevant wargear, and the possible permutations are myriad, but many are largely irrelevant. Primaris kill teams choose models with set wargear as a package, making it ultimately simpler. You know what an Intercessor or Hellblaster is bringing. You know what a Reiver and Inceptor contributes. You slot that into your unit much easier than deciding what type of the several dozen variations of Veteran you can craft, some of which are ill advised.

Removing boundaries may seem simpler, and a Reiver with an assault plasma incinerate sounds awesome, but it is a facade. There's hidden complexity and pitfalls there that don't exist with Primaris entirely because of their legion aesthetic, and that means that their synergies are tighter and symbiotic.

And yet in some other forms of sharing Deathwatch experience, in spite of the simplicity, I see every two weeks another question and reiteration of the discussion on what is better: the bolt rifle, stalker bolt rifle, or the auto bolt rifle, (or other insert primaris weapons option). We all know that the heavy versions of things are bad, the assault versions only if you're Aggressing and rapid fire every other time. Yet people still can't pick up on the simplicity. :P

And yet in some other forms of sharing Deathwatch experience, in spite of the simplicity, I see every two weeks another question and reiteration of the discussion on what is better: the bolt rifle, stalker bolt rifle, or the auto bolt rifle, (or other insert primaris weapons option). We all know that the heavy versions of things are bad, the assault versions only if you're Aggressing and rapid fire every other time. Yet people still can't pick up on the simplicity. :P

The simplicity is that they're all relevant for the same target type and their value is compared only to each other.

If I were to ask you which is better to equip a Veteran with, and then list all 31 individual options, we balloon from 3 choices to literally dozens upon dozens of potential combinations. Want to know how many of those options are in the actual kit? 12. Even fewer that are considered viable. I dislike trap picks.

And I'm not letting Primaris off the hook on that - the heavy options need to be viable. But can you guess how much easier it'll be to make those viable compared to making over two thirds of the wargear options for Veterans viable?

The answer will be storm bolter/chainsword anyway.

DW, right now, pre-CA and campaign book, are still the best place to play Primaris. That's because they gain access to valuable stratagems, an amazing chapter bonus in SIA and Mission Tactics, and mixed units that cover many of the individual unit weaknesses.

But that obviously doesn't mean they're the best way to play DW. Sadly, from the GT tournament analysis I've done in other threads, Vets with storm bolters in mixed teams that focus on improving the storm bolter Vet above all else are the better choice to try and make it to top tables.

But Primaris are still super competitive at all other levels of the game. And the future is far brighter with CA rumoured points drops and the inevitable new Primaris additions.

I am all for the auto bolt rifles with an Aggressor(s) so they can advance and shoot without penalty. I use my FKT primarily to clear enemy chaff and screens so the lack of AP is generaly not an issue.

The picture is just the way I snapped it last night - maybe the shop lighting ?

Fortis Kill Team is what it is. They do work.

Had a league game tonight versus Tau Empire and it turned into a real blood bath too -

64-DEA996-B18-B-4552-99-CE-2-AA4-D6-E125

Poor old Xenos.

Tau are the bane of 98.7% of my armies. Beautiful picture. :thumbsup:

I am all for the auto bolt rifles with an Aggressor(s) so they can advance and shoot without penalty. I use my FKT primarily to clear enemy chaff and screens so the lack of AP is generaly not an issue.

The picture is just the way I snapped it last night - maybe the shop lighting ?

I do this as well. I use autobolters with aggressor squads.

Archived