The Hammer on Vigilus

sairence

The relic battle cannon on a tank commander sounds pretty awesome

Especially if your catachan or cadian with the reroll number of shots order / stratagem?

I might even have to finally build mine and field it

I kinda want to see how the two stratagems interact with the Tallarn doctrine. The advance and fire twice one could be interesting, although I imagine it stops you shooting other guns.

I suspect the Tank commander is doomed if he's now dishing out orders, re-rolls to Overwatch AND has a bad-ass cannon as well. But I'd go for this with a Spearhead I would think, unless some of the other detachments seem better / more fun. I still want my Brigade after all!

I hope there's a Rough Rider focused one with conversions from the new Genestealer bikes in mind! Fat chance of that mind you.

If one day GW want to sell Rough rider kits, there would be Rough rider releated strategems. Now they are even not in the codex...

For Rough Riders I plan on making a character with the character creation rules and giving some Battle Honours out. The Winged Hussars will ride again.

I like the relic tank gun. I feel like it could have been a little more- I was expecting Strength, or just Heavy 6 and Damage 3- but it is still good. The rest seemed okay but not pertinent to my playstyle, need to see the advance and firing twice one.

I don't get the disappointment, seems good. 1cp stratagem is all units in a valk, so you can have a prime and 2 squads in there. That's like a 45" risk free drop that can get 3" away from the enemy. With +1 to hit on the drop.

Additionally, being able to get within 9" activates the doctrine and hot-shot rapid fire. And valks/scions got much cheaper in CA.

That is actually really nice. If I'm not mistaken there are some point drops on Valkyries too.

For 2cps (3 if you want is as extra WL trait) you get safe and really deadly drop units. +1 to hit will also buff the scion regiment trait. Combine with orders and possibly laurels or command and that's a really deadly drop.

Hell, the strategem is really optional. Bring some rifleman as a buffer, you won't often roll more than 2 or 3 sixes anyway.

Might need more details, but...can you use field commander twice to give the same WL-trait to different models? If yes, you can build twoof those drops in one battalion.

Damn.

I really like what we've seen so far and can't wait for the other 2.

There is now a good reason to have a MoO.  That strategem to limit movement and overwatch looks really interesting though, while not bad for guard, I think it might get a lot more use from a loyal 32 detachment with a shiny new Basilisk. I wonder if that setup will get its own new name.

The formation do kind of work with what I was using before. My Catachan list should be pretty strong set up with a brigade using the infantry formation, a battalion as an artillery formation and a Leman Russ Spearhead as an Emperor's Fist.

I think my favorite thing about 8th edition is, that while people have been whining about guard constantly, we are actually playing a game where a combined arms list like this can be an effective army.  These formation give it a little more flavor (and ways for guard to actually spend that many CP).

I quite like both of these formations. None is either too powerful or complete garbage.

The Scions one would be very strong, but it is balanced by the fact that it requires using Valkyries - which are so-so even with the points drop. The WL trait is great, the stratagem is meh, the relic is completely useless. 

The Artillery company is inferior, but still quite ok. The Pounding Barrage stratagem is poor since it is badly overcosted (1 CP would have been more than enough), while the other stratagem can have its uses. Both the WL trait and the relic seem ok, not great, not bad, but I am in doubt whether they are worth the CP cost to add them. The choice of units is a bit disappointing: Master of Ordnance is still pure crap, and it is a pity there are no Manticores and Deathstrike involved, for example.

Scions formation: 7.5/10

Artillery formation: 6/10

So far, quite promising overall. If the other formations will be on this level I'll be happy - playable, without giving people the chance to whine about broken AM stuff.

I see no use for the MoO still, especially using Cadia. Just buff the CC and put him next to the basi. I don’t have my guard dex, but can you combo the basi reroll hits with the shoot twice? Because that sounds good.

I like the scion formation as well. I’m actually a fan of valks because you can get up in to melta range. I usually use it with melta SWS because they’re cheap and expendable.

As mentioned, this really looks to combo well with the scions regiment rules.

With these formations I think I’ve finally got things to spend all those CP we get on.

Has the Tank formation been revealed yet?

MoO is pretty good. You get his extra shot on turn 1 for a bit of front-loaded damage. If you make him the field commander and give him the relic, he gets to use those two bonuses on his shot. He gets bs3, which is nice. The key is to get his 36" working, which can be done.

With the rule of 3, I wouldn't want to burn a company commander to be the "Warlord" and hold the relic.  That's a big reason to have the MoO. 

You just made me realise no platoon commander in that detachment. MoO would work well. I need to practice with his 36" minimum range though. Unfortunately I only have 2 hydras that would get the bonuses, as I have manticores. I'm thinking 1 hydra, 2 basilisk could work, with the hydra being a cheap suppressor if needed.

Archived