CA won’t help SM

Dracos

You know what Mk X has always reminded me of?

Human_Male_Engineer_MP.png

Apart from that, a change in scale opens the floodgates for loads of other stuff... 'truescale' Guard anyone?

Now CA might not help C:SM that much and I certainly feel it's actively trying to 'encourage' us to leave Tac Squads and Devastators at home (Seriously, Hellblasters are... can't resist... a blast!), but on the other hand, the Drop Pod has... dropped? Come down in cost? Geez, I'm on a roll today :whistling:

I was planning on taking one or two before CA, but now? For an Infantry-oriented army, they're a nice, fluffy and now not quite as mad choice.

Add to that the big sale on Special Weaponry and while Primaris might still have an edge, any Oldmarine force can pack more of a punch now nonetheless.

And always remember: at least you're not playing Grey Knights :ermm:

The rejig of special weapon costs is what helps out Tac Squads, but you'll only see a benefit if you're one of us stubborn fools who, you know, actually ran Tac Squads.

I'm a mite busy in the short term, but I'm curious to see what my lists will look like after the adjustments make it into Battlescribe.

The rejig of special weapon costs is what helps out Tac Squads, but you'll only see a benefit if you're one of us stubborn fools who, you know, actually ran Tac Squads.

I'm a mite busy in the short term, but I'm curious to see what my lists will look like after the adjustments make it into Battlescribe.

This... this right here.

Apart from that, a change in scale opens the floodgates for loads of other stuff... 'truescale' Guard anyone?

<Snip>

"I am Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite post on the B&C boards":teehee: 

Look, as one of those who spent all my spare cash as a student between 5th & 7th ed on drop pods, I'm still not happy with them this edition but CA definitely looks like it's going to help. 

I'm eyeing up some chapter veterans with el cheapo storm shields...

Look, as one of those who spent all my spare cash as a student between 5th & 7th ed on drop pods, I'm still not happy with them this edition but CA definitely looks like it's going to help. 

Well, I had already started painting a Pod before CA leaks had even hit - I don't like tanks, so I don't have a better option...

But those things are just plain awesome :yes:

Plasma Devastators might be a thing. Granted without WFTDA they're not as good as they would be in DA, but...29PPM for D3 S8 -3 2 damage shots? 124 for the squad? OG Marines have a place, there. Granted that's only because devastators stack big guns and that's where most of SM's point savings are for OG.

Plasma Devastators might be a thing. Granted without WFTDA they're not as good as they would be in DA, but...29PPM for D3 S8 -3 2 damage shots? 124 for the squad? OG Marines have a place, there. Granted that's only because devastators stack big guns and that's where most of SM's point savings are for OG.

No reason to take Hellblasters with that option now. Add boltgun marines for ablative wounds and blast from range.

Just want to address this topic.

It's wrong

The best units in the top armies in the game have not seen price reductions, so the top lists are unchanged. Many marine units were reduced so the army is indeed better comparatively than it was last week.

CA has helped Space Marines. Not enough to change the meta, but it has helped.

<Snip>

"I am Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite post on the B&C boards":teehee:

As a lesson it seems it's best to not own more than 3 of a given model kit and magnetize wherever possible.

Real talk what would 1500 points of hqs look like? If taken as cheaply as possible with respect to Rule of 3?

Biggest issue I have with Plasma Devs is the micromanagement you have to go through if you overcharge.

Each models #shots and hitrolls have to be rolled and looked at separately (cuz 1 model could roll 3 attacks and roll 1's on all 3's, and another model could roll 1 attack/no 1's, etc ad infinitum permutations) on that. Just takes soooo long. So annoying.

Hellblasters are way better being able to move and shoot with no natural penalty. Devs are a direct throwback unit.

Devastators have 36" inch range for (on average) 2 shots a piece.  Hellblasters only get 2 shots at 15".  All depends on what you want to do with them.   Devastators can deploy in backfield ruins, and pretty much have LOS to something the whole game, without needing to move.   Devastators also get a free Signum. They can also get cheap transports (rhino, razorback, drop pod) that hellblasters can't.

If you like hellblasters better that's fine, but I don't know that they are "way better" than Devs.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "throwback" unit.  Devastators are actually one of the few Astartes profiles that currently works out of all the OG Space Marine datasheets.

CA has helped Space Marines. Not enough to change the meta, but it has helped.

It has helped Marines in a literal sense, that they've received changes and a fair number of them; but due to the location of these changes and the inherent flaws with Marines it hasn't helped them to become more than bottom tier.

Is that a better, more accurate wording? :teehee:

Whether they are still bottom tier or not remains to be seen. With cheaper veterans they have a good chance to be a serious threat again. That being said even bottom tier are not as far away from mid tier than it used to be in 7th edition so casual gaming should feel a big improvement. Maaaaaybe competetive as well but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Hellblasters are way better being able to move and shoot with no natural penalty. Devs are a direct throwback unit.

I don't see the value in moving TOWARDS the things that kill you for the most value. Sorry, but I'm not sure why moving into rapid fire range of plasma in order to fire that second shot makes sense.

Devs gain access to ablative wounds, make damage 2 weapons less effective in points efficiency, outrange and outshoot Hellblasters, and don't actually need to move to get the most out of their kit. They're also cheaper.

I don't see any value whatsoever in Hellblasters now. They don't even have a cheap option for protection.

Biggest issue I have with Plasma Devs is the micromanagement you have to go through if you overcharge.

Each models #shots and hitrolls have to be rolled and looked at separately (cuz 1 model could roll 3 attacks and roll 1's on all 3's, and another model could roll 1 attack/no 1's, etc ad infinitum permutations) on that. Just takes soooo long. So annoying.

You should be doing this for Hellblasters, too. Just because they each fire 2 shots instead of a variable number doesn't mean you should avoid rolling one at a time. You would hate to have two 1s equal two casualties when they might be from the same model's shooting.

Secondary to that, I do not recognize "ease of dice rolling" as a valid benefit. That leads you down the path of thinking the heavy option is viable, as it's always one shot per model, and we all should know by now the heavy is trash.

Archived