Company Veterans - Modeling

Brother Talarian

Rediculous that they are limited to 5 models, company vets as they have evolved from the comand squad.

The comand squad used to be 5 to 10 models.

I'm kind of reading between the lines here, but are GW basically saying company vets are sword brethren. But vanguard veterans, Sternguard veterans, honor guard and terminators are not? Some of them may be in the detatchment but only one unit got the SB rules. Or am I misunderstanding the discussion.

Rohr, Vanguard vets aren't covered by the Formation, if that's what you mean. Only Company veterans.

I think he meant model wise

I was talking about 2 things. I may have not been very clear because of it.

Thing 1) company vets, formerly comand squads only being Max 5 models has bothered me since my return to the hobby because when I left comand squads could be up to 10 models.

Thing 2) I haven't had a chance to read everything from CA2018 and Vigilus yet, but my understanding from what everyone else is saying, I'm left with the impression that either GW might consider only the veteran units that can be taken in the detatchment as Canonically being sword brethren. I think somebody said that some units couldn't be taken that ought to be.

Sub part to thing 2) it's my understanding that only the company veterans on the detatchment get the sword brethren label that makes them eligible for the detatchment benefits. This might imply that GW only considers company vets to be sword brethren and that no other veterans are sword brethren. Which seams odd to me.

Again. I'm assuming I'm confused. I'm not caught up and life has been... Lifey...

The comment was pointed at Marshal Rohr, FH :teehee:

There isn't any canonical justification separating Vanguard, Sternguard or Terminators in the fluff blurb that comes with the formation.  It simply talks about how Sword Brethren are the big bosses with the most zeal.  I imagine they are left out for balance reasons rather than fluff justification.

No worries! To give you a better idea, I'd have a total of 16 Sword Brethren in power armor. In 40k that might translate into 3 Lieutenants and 5 Sword Brethren in my 'master list' of units I have, and then I'd plug and play as power levels allowed in narrative games. I'm choosing 16 because that is how many fit my Age of Darkness detachments and points limits. 

Archived