Idaho is going back to tournaments!

Captain Idaho

Yes I just forgot so my poor opponent didn't realise. No harm done.

Not sure on ITC. I appreciate the Eternal War missions because they are less focused on killing the opponent. I'll have to play more ITC.

The Hunters... they were placed towards the back corner within easy reach of an objective. Each turn they seldom missed even when one was damaged thanks to re-roll hits.

Also, I used the Stragegum for +1 hit and wound against the Executioner. And I rolled a 6 to wound followed by a 6 to damage and did 12 damage! That was the 1 bit of extreme luck I had but it was glorious.

As time goes on and we learn more about what units are strong for UMs, one more I would add to the list is Sternguard.

Now that they are only 14 pts/model, they are pretty crazy powerful for their points. Stand still for Bolter Discipline, have Cassius buff them with +1 to Hit and +1 to wound and add re-rolls from a  nearby Captain/Lieutenant combo, use the Ultramarine WL Trait to give them the Tactical Doctrine turn 1, and buff them with their unique "+1 to Wound" Strat.

That gives you 20 x S4 AP-3 Dmg1 shots out to 30"... with all the buffs described above, you should get 19-20 hits with +2 to Wound and re-rolls of 1s to Wound, which on average does the following to these different targets:

1 - Eldar Wave Serpent -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. enough to kill it in a single volley)

2 - 10 man squad of Primaris Hellblasters -- 15-16 Unsaved Wounds (or 7-8 dead Hellblasters)

3 - 3 man squad of Custodes Bikers -- 7-8 Unsaved Wounds (or about two dead Vertus Praetors)

4 - 30 man squad of Ork Boyz -- 18-19 Unsaved Wounds (so, about 18-19 dead Orks)

5 - Tau Riptide -- 10-11 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. basically down to its bottom damage bracket)

6 - 3 man squad of Obliterators -- 10-11 Unsaved Wounds (about 2 dead Obliterators)

7 - 6 man squad of Aggressors -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (so, average of 4 dead Aggressors)

8 - Leman Russ Battle Tank -- 9-10 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. enough to put it on/close to its bottom damage bracket)

9 - 10 man squad of Aberrants -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (or about 6 dead Aberrants)

As time goes on and we learn more about what units are strong for UMs, one more I would add to the list is Sternguard.

Now that they are only 14 pts/model, they are pretty crazy powerful for their points. Stand still for Bolter Discipline, have Cassius buff them with +1 to Hit and +1 to wound and add re-rolls from a  nearby Captain/Lieutenant combo, use the Ultramarine WL Trait to give them the Tactical Doctrine turn 1, and buff them with their unique "+1 to Wound" Strat.

That gives you 20 x S4 AP-3 Dmg1 shots out to 30"... with all the buffs described above, you should get 19-20 hits with +2 to Wound and re-rolls of 1s to Wound, which on average does the following to these different targets:

1 - Eldar Wave Serpent -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. enough to kill it in a single volley)

2 - 10 man squad of Primaris Hellblasters -- 15-16 Unsaved Wounds (or 7-8 dead Hellblasters)

3 - 3 man squad of Custodes Bikers -- 7-8 Unsaved Wounds (or about two dead Vertus Praetors)

4 - 30 man squad of Ork Boyz -- 18-19 Unsaved Wounds (so, about 18-19 dead Orks)

5 - Tau Riptide -- 10-11 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. basically down to its bottom damage bracket)

6 - 3 man squad of Obliterators -- 10-11 Unsaved Wounds (about 2 dead Obliterators)

7 - 6 man squad of Aggressors -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (so, average of 4 dead Aggressors)

8 - Leman Russ Battle Tank -- 9-10 Unsaved Wounds (i.e. enough to put it on/close to its bottom damage bracket)

9 - 10 man squad of Aberrants -- 12-13 Unsaved Wounds (or about 6 dead Aberrants)

The problem with this is getting them on the table and in range of chaplain Cassius and within walking distance of their target. The chaplain's litany is at the start of the game turn, so if you are going second your opponent can just delete the sternguard. The +1 to wound is against the closest target, so chances of targeting something important are very slim. So in a vacuum, yes this combo is very powerful, in a real game it's probably not going to work the way you describe, unless you manage to get Cassius up the board, delete all the chaff, drop the stern guard in, have them survive for a turn and then pull of this combo. I'm probably not going to bother and just drop them in with a pod and pop the strat. Cassius can buff some agressors to delete all the chaff. They benefit greatly since they get to fire twice, benefitting from Cassius' buffs twice.

Edited by Joukernaut