Primaris Apothecary & Chaplain : useless?

BolterZorro

They do what they do at +1A and, more importantly with the Apothecary, +1W.

So essentially, the question is if Apothecaries and Chaplains are of any use.

A Chaplain in a Melee list can be a thing of beauty, I've heard. Never tried one myself, but I'm very content with the buff a Captain provides to my shooting (I keep him at the backlines usually, so not much CQC buffing from him), but your heavy Melee hitters don't really shoot that much anyway, so trading in the re-roll of 1s for re-rolling everything in a brawl? I'd do it, and will probably add one to my Templars list next year - my Marshal and Castellan can't be everywhere at once...

As for the Apothecary... have you tried one? I once had one tag along with my Storm Shield Captain. The Captain was the last one of my minis standing with one wound left in a game I had really screwed up, but I managed to get Slay the Warlord with him and the game was a draw. And just because that Apothecary had kept the screen Tac Squad I had in front of them alive for a while and had to be removed before the Captain was a viable target both in terms of targeting and strategy - no use firing at him if the wounds you cause might get healed the next turn :biggrin.:

Yes, for the points, I could have taken another barebones Tac Squad for screening, but where's the fun in that?

They both have their uses. I, too, like the simplicity of just having Captains and Lts as buffers and a lot of shooty guys, but those two minis are a worthwhile addition to that for sure. They make the game more interesting to play, and I think that's good.

IMO on average rolls your better off buying more Marines than you are buying an apothecary.

I put a priority on rerolling to hit over to wound. So for the points I prefer a Captain over a Chaplain.

Now if a Chaplain gave a +1 attack for units within 6" he'd be an auto include :)

I'll take an Apothecary in any bigger points game just because of fluff. Can't have dozens of Marines running around and dieing in droves without having an Apothecary around to secure their geneseed. :P

The Chaplain however ... meh, Captains are usually the better choice. He's not bad. Far from it. It's just a case of having a better alternative. I might take one in my list now that I got some points free to spare after CA18 tho.

IMO on average rolls your better off buying more Marines than you are buying an apothecary.

Supporting the right units they can be valuable. I had decent success running a Jump Pack Sanguinary Novitiate supporting a medium/large (4-5) squad of Plasma Inceptors when I was playing Blood Angels (JP Apothecary isn't an option for everyone, of course.

A reasonably expensive unit that can stay mobile (Mv10"/Fly) to minimise what enemies can draw LOS is good, as there's much more likely going to be something left to salvage, and Plasma Inceptors hit hard. Worked especially well in a full bomb with Sanguinary Guard, an Ancient with Standard of Sacrifice and other characters, but that got expensive quickly! Although there was no shortage of things for the Apothecary to heal!

For non-BA, the Standard of the Emperor Ascendent in support of similar units, or a unit in Azrael's 4++ bubble, etc can do good work keeping volume of fire high.

I don't think Apothecaries are a dead choice, but they are certainly a niche choice that requires a few specific strategic intentions first (eg, a resilient firebase).

Now if a Chaplain gave a +1 attack for units within 6" he'd be an auto include :)

Agreed. Chaplains make me sad at how they're just...not good. They're not terrible, it's just that the Fight Phase isn't really a Marine strong point right now and rerolling ones is already good enough, especially when it applies to shooting at the same time.

And drop the stupid 'use Chaplain's LD' ability, it's worth about 0.01pts and could be replacing with something worthwhile or removed without 99.9% of people giving a damn (and about 90% wouldn't even notice!)

I've only just bought the Apothecary. Will see if he's worthwhile, the model is really awesome though.

As for the Chaplain, we might be getting some awesome cc units after the next wave and he might become mandatory

Supporting the right units they can be valuable. I had decent success running a Jump Pack Sanguinary Novitiate supporting a medium/large (4-5) squad of Plasma Inceptors when I was playing Blood Angels (JP Apothecary isn't an option for everyone, of course.

A reasonably expensive unit that can stay mobile (Mv10"/Fly) to minimise what enemies can draw LOS is good, as there's much more likely going to be something left to salvage, and Plasma Inceptors hit hard. Worked especially well in a full bomb with Sanguinary Guard, an Ancient with Standard of Sacrifice and other characters, but that got expensive quickly! Although there was no shortage of things for the Apothecary to heal!

For non-BA, the Standard of the Emperor Ascendent in support of similar units, or a unit in Azrael's 4++ bubble, etc can do good work keeping volume of fire high.

I don't think Apothecaries are a dead choice, but they are certainly a niche choice that requires a few specific strategic intentions first (eg, a resilient firebase).

Your points hold good merits in a more general discussion but the OP was asking about Primaris Apothecaries and I don't know for sure, but think  even BA Primaris can't  use jump packs. 

Chappies always pretty usually lest useful of HQs special units and characters not withstanding :(

Your points hold good merits in a more general discussion but the OP was asking about Primaris Apothecaries and I don't know for sure, but think even BA Primaris can't use jump packs.

Yes, very true, although my more general point was that Apothecaries do have some value, albeit requiring a basic strategy during the list building stage.

absolutely true for standard Marines, and hopefully someday for Primaris. Even Running them with Hellblasters I'm not sold ... now say give them same jump pack as Plasma-Inceptors I could be convinced. I haven't mathed out a chaperoning Aggressor Apothecary?

I really need to change my signature to " ... as applies to Primaris Marines." :teehee:

I've only just bought the Apothecary. Will see if he's worthwhile, the model is really awesome though.

As for the Chaplain, we might be getting some awesome cc units after the next wave and he might become mandatory

Too bad there's no mortal wound strats you can fire off with Primaris at this time :sad.:

Vigilus formation I think has something for Intercessors?

Too bad there's no mortal wound strats you can fire off with Primaris at this time :sad.:

Vigilus formation I think has something for Intercessors?

Looks like they're all specific to your own shooting phase, unlike Hellfire or Flakk Missile.

Primaris Chaplains are okay. 4 Attacks, Strength 5 AP -1 and 2 Damage. The closest equivalent would be a regular captain with a Power Fist. Whom are 83 to the Chappy’s 77. I’d actually say a regular Chappy is pointless a Primaris Chappy as a budget combat character. Is actually pretty reasonable

Guest MistaGav

I think the problem they have is like all primaris, is a lack of mobility. Apart from the Repulsor they have to hoof it into battle which means they are slow and likely to get shot before they can do anything. I doubt they will get jump packs but will get the grav chutes upgrade that the Reivers have at some point. Even that should help give a bit more flexibility.

Primaris Chaplains are okay. 4 Attacks, Strength 5 AP -1 and 2 Damage. The closest equivalent would be a regular captain with a Power Fist. Whom are 83 to the Chappy’s 77. I’d actually say a regular Chappy is pointless a Primaris Chappy as a budget combat character. Is actually pretty reasonable

The problem is that a TH Captain doesn't cost much more and is way more potent than a Chaplain. Also the option to take a SS and JP if you want to. The Chaplain is not bad, just redundant with the Captain being in the same book. ^^

The problem is that a TH Captain doesn't cost much more and is way more potent than a Chaplain. Also the option to take a SS and JP if you want to. The Chaplain is not bad, just redundant with the Captain being in the same book. ^^

Eh he costs an Intercessor more. I mean not saying your wrong. It’s just that, if you need a budget combat character (and not choosing to do a Teeth Captain for whatever reason), Primaris Chappy isn’t a ‘bad’ option.

I think I'd use a Chaplain if it was bumped to Elite. As a HQ they will always fall in as a third choice for me unless I was doing a fluff focused Black Templars army because Captain and LT are just more useful for their bubbles for the kind of armies I like.

I think it's a bit of a throw back to the old days including them as HQ choice, to me they are spiritual guardians rather than leaders anyway unless it's something like Dark Angels or Black Templars.

I hardly ever leave home without a chaplain.

But I have dedicated melee units that love rerolls to hit, and my captains are usually busy.

When Primaris get a dedicated melee unit that isn't pants and a cheap transport, I imagine the primaris version will see more play.

Apothecaries and Ancients have a really solid use as back-field objective holders that can't be targeted (easily).

Then you can position your other units in places that give either better cover or better fields of fire.

Chaplains as mentioned work well with melee beatstick units, however these don't really exist for Primaris yet.

Rik

Archived