Sword Brethren - Vigilus Special Detachment - And You

Iago

I wager, given the impractical price tags of Vet Bikers, many who take them will just be us old farts who miss being able to field lancers :teehee:

My lancers wear gas masks and ride something resembling a cross between a horse and conan the barbarian.

So, had my game, ended up facing Thousand Sons (not a madly optimized list or anything, only one Prince without wings, some Rubrics, a Renegade Knight and some other stuff). I should have just stayed in bed.

Started off well enough, had a Mutalith Vortex Beast get Warptime and Diabolic Strength (I used our deny stratagem to stop it from getting the glamour thingie) and then make an 11" charge locking my Land Raider in combat. The Land Raider only took two wounds, so I wasn't too worried, mostly annoyed that I'd not get to shoot with it next turn while I deleted the Vortex Beast with the Hammer Bros. My Lazorback got taken down and killed one of its occupants, but I was still in the game and kicking.

My turn 1 I had the Hammer Brothers jump out from the Land Raider while the Emperor's Champion scooted over from the Razorback he was in. Helbrecht jumped out to provide reroll auras to my shooting stuff while the Devastators and the Land Speeder did a respectable 11 wounds to the Knight despite Rotate Ion Shields (10 from the Devs, 1 from the Heavy Bolter on the Speeder). The Hellfire Shells/Armorium Cherub combo performed pretty well, netting me 5 Mortal Wounds on the Knight. Sigismash would go on to finish the Knight in honorable combat later that turn.

Then I made the mistake of killing the Vortex Beast. That thing did something like 18 mortal wounds in total to stuff around it as it exploded. Emperor's Champion - gone. All five Hammer Bros - gone. Land Raider lost another three wounds. Assault Cannon Razorback lost 3. 3 Devastators - poof.

Next turn both the Land Raider and the Assault Cannon Razorback exploded too, killing a Storm Bolter Bro and all five Sword Bros. Helbrecht "only" took two wounds and Grimaldus was unscathed, but at that point I just conceded the game because I'd lost somewhere around 400 points in models to explosion Mortal Wounds, and that's not counting the wounds put on the vehicles from explosions that led on to other explosions.

In short, the only thing that went right was that the Devastators and Sigismash one-rounded a Renegade Knight with Rotate Ion Shields up. The single most pointless game I've played in three editions. My opponent agreed that he didn't win the game, RNGesus did.

Stuff like that happens I guess. Just try to laugh about how ridiculous it must have looked to have a super charged vortex beast race across the board, get hammered and then just explode in a giant nuclear mushroom.

Not great for a testing game or any serious game at all but the next one can only be better. ;)

That Sounds really rough and Kind of funny in equal parts to be honest.

But also sounds like your Plan was working right until rngesus threw a Spanner in the works. I'm excited to hear about your next game

Land Raider... not Terminator ( i was tired yesterday).

It wasnt funny  -  really not.

So I'm playing my first game tomorrow since Vigilus came out. Current thoughts: 5 CVs with TH/SS, 5 with PS/SS, Helbrecht, EC and a Company/Chapter ancient all as a death star? I think my opponent is planning to bring Mortarion, so I really want to bring him down in close combat. I just think it would be really funny for these buffed guys to simply stand back up again if the Ancient buff kicks in.

If you took a separate Indominitus Crusader detachment the Intercessors are not far off, except in terms of weapons of course. But that greyshields warlord trait is really quite interesting. Imagine being able to give all your Intercessors an iron hands FNP for a turn?

So if we have Primaris Company veterans I assume we can use them on our sword bros formation?

Just thinking about future releases...

If they have the company veteran keyword then yes they'd be eligible

So if we have Primaris Company veterans I assume we can use them on our sword bros formation?

Cool, cool just thinking ahead on the rumoured Primaris releases. Thanks ;)

So, had my game, ended up facing Thousand Sons (not a madly optimized list or anything, only one Prince without wings, some Rubrics, a Renegade Knight and some other stuff). I should have just stayed in bed.

Started off well enough, had a Mutalith Vortex Beast get Warptime and Diabolic Strength (I used our deny stratagem to stop it from getting the glamour thingie) and then make an 11" charge locking my Land Raider in combat. The Land Raider only took two wounds, so I wasn't too worried, mostly annoyed that I'd not get to shoot with it next turn while I deleted the Vortex Beast with the Hammer Bros. My Lazorback got taken down and killed one of its occupants, but I was still in the game and kicking.

My turn 1 I had the Hammer Brothers jump out from the Land Raider while the Emperor's Champion scooted over from the Razorback he was in. Helbrecht jumped out to provide reroll auras to my shooting stuff while the Devastators and the Land Speeder did a respectable 11 wounds to the Knight despite Rotate Ion Shields (10 from the Devs, 1 from the Heavy Bolter on the Speeder). The Hellfire Shells/Armorium Cherub combo performed pretty well, netting me 5 Mortal Wounds on the Knight. Sigismash would go on to finish the Knight in honorable combat later that turn.

Then I made the mistake of killing the Vortex Beast. That thing did something like 18 mortal wounds in total to stuff around it as it exploded. Emperor's Champion - gone. All five Hammer Bros - gone. Land Raider lost another three wounds. Assault Cannon Razorback lost 3. 3 Devastators - poof.

Next turn both the Land Raider and the Assault Cannon Razorback exploded too, killing a Storm Bolter Bro and all five Sword Bros. Helbrecht "only" took two wounds and Grimaldus was unscathed, but at that point I just conceded the game because I'd lost somewhere around 400 points in models to explosion Mortal Wounds, and that's not counting the wounds put on the vehicles from explosions that led on to other explosions.

In short, the only thing that went right was that the Devastators and Sigismash one-rounded a Renegade Knight with Rotate Ion Shields up. The single most pointless game I've played in three editions. My opponent agreed that he didn't win the game, RNGesus did.

I was enthralled right up until "conceded". You already got one great anecdote out of that game, imagine what other tales you might have to tell if you had stuck it out until the bitter end? That's the stuff that great stories (and battle reports) are made of!

Indeed! Never concede!

I had a glorious battle back in 3rd edition when my entire force was annihilated to a lone Templar. The wounded emperor's champion went on to wreck face until the very end. Still lost but it was glorious!

but they dont get it... for that reason we have indomitus "veterans"... my biggest hope is that Vigilus "SB" is just a tryout for Index Astartes Black Templar Suppelemnt and we getting those Stratagems for all units.

I fought against Tyranids yesterday and get a very close defeat. But there were a lot of mistakes done from my side. If I play correct ( not rules - choose the right option ) I would win this game.... and my list was too greedy as my gameplay. I used the Indomitus Crusader and the Sword Brethren Detachment... that cost too much CPs so I cant use  the stratagems.

but they dont get it... for that reason we have indomitus "veterans"... my biggest hope is that Vigilus "SB" is just a tryout for Index Astartes Black Templar Suppelemnt and we getting those Stratagems for all units.

I fought against Tyranids yesterday and get a very close defeat. But there were a lot of mistakes done from my side. If I play correct ( not rules - choose the right option ) I would win this game.... and my list was too greedy as my gameplay. I used the Indomitus Crusader and the Sword Brethren Detachment... that cost too much CPs so I cant use the stratagems.

He was asking about future Primaris releases not the primaris stuff from Vigilus

So I managed get a couple games in against some players. Here what I found about the formation;

1) 5+ FNP was useless I never once found it relavent. The squad sizes are too small. And characters are not dying to scratch damage. It might be more useful when not fighting other characters or multidamage weapons

2) +1A and Reroll Wound is amazing. Sense suiciding Castallen no longers mean losing access to reroll 1 to wounds on Hammers and Power Fists.

3) Warlord Trait I found exceptionally underwhelming. It wasn’t bad I just rarely proc the the additional attack. So it boils down to 1-2CP for an extra attack.

The relic I never used as I used Helm and Teeth. Which I infinitely preferred overall. Overall I still like the detachment but my optimism is now more like 7.5-8/10 vs my earlier 8.5-9/10

So I managed get a couple games in against some players. Here what I found about the formation;

1) 5+ FNP was useless I never once found it relavent. The squad sizes are too small. And characters are not dying to scratch damage. It might be more useful when not fighting other characters or multidamage weapons

2) +1A and Reroll Wound is amazing. Sense suiciding Castallen no longers mean losing access to reroll 1 to wounds on Hammers and Power Fists.

3) Warlord Trait I found exceptionally underwhelming. It wasn’t bad I just rarely proc the the additional attack. So it boils down to 1-2CP for an extra attack.

The relic I never used as I used Helm and Teeth. Which I infinitely preferred overall. Overall I still like the detachment but my optimism is now more like 7.5-8/10 vs my earlier 8.5-9/10

+1

same experience here - reroll and +1 attack stratagem is much more better on Teeth of Terra and full Company Veterans instead of HAmmer-Captain.

You're all rather wishful thinkers... the formation is laughably bad in every way. Units effected are so restricted, it makes it kinda pointless.

Ultramarines are better close combat army than Black Templar, still. By far. It's a weird, sad world.

With the Indomitus Crusaders using the Veteran Intercessor strat you spend 1cp to give a unit +1 attack for the duration of the game as well as a buffed leadership. Drop Liberators for 1cp and you're doing extra hits on natural 6s, that looks pretty good for combat and runs lighter on cp expenditure.

Victrix Guard makes for a really nasty combat unit of Honour Guard, Fight Like Demigods stacked with the Macragge Standard they are +1 to hit +1 attack+1 leadership. Vitrix Honour Guard in that situation is 5 power sword attacks each and you can run 6  of them for no slots if you have Calgar, and grants re-rolls to hit with him.

If you want to have lots of extra stabby power weaponry you can also mix in units of standard honour guard alongside the Victrix Honour Guard, it's a good chunk of points but it'd kill alot in melee.

IMO they still shine best with shooting but Ultras have plenty of good tools for combat if desired.

Archived