Questions: HellForged contemptor Dread with C-beam cannon

angrom

Hi everyone,

I have 3-4 little questions regarding the use of the contemptor dread with C-beam cannon in our army.

1: It is mentioned with C-beam cannon "This weapon may not be fired on any turn in which the model carrying it has moved"

Does our Inexorable advance rule prevent that from happening?

2: At a range of 24" or more the weapon profile change from S6, D3 damage to +2 in str and +D3 damage.

Should I understand it as the weapon become a Str 8 D6 damage or Str 8 2D3 damage (the 2D3 can be somewhat advantageous).

3: If I take 2 C-beam cannons an both remove a model as a casualty do I get 2X the 2D6 additional hits Str 6 or only once for both weapons?

4: Where is the debate around the Hellforged Dreads being also Hellbrutes (I haven't been in the hobby for a while).

Can we use the Fire frenzy stratagem to fire twice with a contemptor or leviathan dread in the same turn?

Thanks for the help

1: IMO, no. The text of Inexorable Advance specifically refers to the penalties for moving and firing Heavy and Assault weapons only, not any other penalties for movement. Plus more specific rules usually override more general ones, so order would be weapon and unit rules -> detachment rules -> general rules

2: It specifies the +2S, +d3 damage for *each* 24". So S8, 2D3 at 24"+, S10 3D3 at 48"+ etc (unlikely to get the next step up to S12 4D3 damage at 72"+ unless you play on stupidly big tables)

3: Hmm. I could see this going either way. Given it's two separate weapons that *can* be fired at different targets, rather than twin-linked, I'd go with 2x2D6 S6 hits if both inflict a casualty; all weapons attack one by one, but you can combine roll for convenience when it suits. However, there's multiple weapon/stratagem abilities that don't 'stack' in 8th, so it's one where you'd probably want to confirm with your opponent beforehand I think, in the absence of a FAQ. The weapon literally causes a target to explode - it converts matters to energy, so it's like getting hit by two separate vehicle explosions IMO.

4: Generally accepted to be no. The forgeworld index FAQ added the HELBRUTE keyword to the Contemptor, Deredeo and Leviathan Dreadnoughts. However, the fire frenzy strat only refers to the unbolded Helbrute, which is a specific unit name rather than a keyword. Given Inexorable Advance was FAQ'd to use the HELBRUTE keyword, thus applying it to forgeworld dreads, while fire frenzy wasn't in multiple revisions in all chaos codexes, most believe it to be intentional that fire frenzy does not apply to FW dreads.

Archived