Relic contemptor

LucidNinja

With the changes in CA I am struggling to figure out what I should be running. I love the idea of dropping in a veteran squad, a dreadnought and a librarian to be a hard hitting bundle. The veterans all storm boltered up to remove Chaf, the librarian to hopefully cast veil and might on the dread, and the dreadnought to shoot a bit then run in and cause havoc.

The issue I'm having is which dreadnought. The chaplain armed with a assault cannon was my first choice, has a bunch of perks but is very costly if stuck in CC for too long. I'm still considering running him and another dread to be punching pals.

The redemptor got a great point drop, has a few more wounds, alot of dakka and is more threatening to the eye.

Then I looked at the contemptor. They seem to be a bit between the chaplain (with invuln and ignore wounds) but also has a 2+ save. Would probably take the kheres for some extra dakka. It also has 2+bs and ws so beats the redemptor there...

I would like your opinions on what I should choose. Think I'm leaning towards chaplain and redemptor but contemptor has me questioning

If you were thinking of using the Kheres consider pairing it with the chain fist with heavy flamer (auto-hits), to maximise on how the FW Relic Contemptor degrades (its movement remains intact). Not sure if it’s pricy for you but it’s beastly.

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought is an absolute face tanking beast! The Relic Cotemptor is a definite Second that still gets great mileage. But for an anti-tank fire support base don’t leave out Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts! I run three of them with Twin-Lascannons, after Chapter approved they come in at less than a Las Predator, and keep that awesome 2+ to hit! From my experience it takes at least TWICE the firepower to bring down than a Venerable Dreadnought.

I'm personally not a fan of the Contemptor Relic dreadnought. If you're taking a Relic unit, might as well make it a Leviathan and be even better. No, I'd rather use Contemptors for the mortis variant with quad lascannons.

If you're already taking an Elite choice, the mere 22pt upgrade from Mortis to Relic is a significant increase in durability.

+2W along with 6+++ equates to ~40% harder to kill, factoring in the 2+ armor save it's not unreasonable to say a Relic Contemptor is 50% harder to kill for only 13% increased cost!

I'm personally not a fan of the Contemptor Relic dreadnought. If you're taking a Relic unit, might as well make it a Leviathan and be even better. No, I'd rather use Contemptors for the mortis variant with quad lascannons.

If you're already taking an Elite choice, the mere 22pt upgrade from Mortis to Relic is a significant increase in durability.

+2W along with 6+++ equates to ~40% harder to kill, factoring in the 2+ armor save it's not unreasonable to say a Relic Contemptor is 50% harder to kill for only 13% increased cost!

That's the crux, if you are taking elite slots. For Deathwatch, our elite slots are extremely lackluster, not competitively viable, and you gotta take one if you want the Relic Contemptor. Sure its only 13% cost in and of itself, but if you don't have any elites, its actually far more than that. Now, if we had a go to "must have 3 of" unit in our elite slots, sure. But as it stands? Pass.

Well if you have two betrayal at Calth contemptors and zero leviathans why spend ~$100+ for a Leviathan?

If you have two BaC contemptors, and are going to use them as Mortis? Sure. But I cannot justify taking an independent Elite slot for the Relic Contemptor. Its a minimum of some 60 odd pt tax in a Primaris Apothecary to take the Relic Contemptor, whereas the Mortis cost no extra pt tax. Now, if I was already taking Contemptor Mortis Dreads, which are heavy, and wanted a Relic unit, I'd take a Leviathan. That's the point you missed.

Already running 2 Las missile dreads so elite relics are no issue. Outside of forgeworld DW have hellblasters as the only feasible heavy slot, and they are still better mixed in with intercessors.

Sure, but at some point, the ROI for having multiple dreadnoughts starts to diminish. And I wouldn't be so sure. Rapier Batteries can be feasible. They are also the cheapest option. Who doesn't like a weapon that can target out of line of sight annoying objective campers?

I was already considering adding some Venerable Dreadnoughts with Lascannons and missile launchers. Since that gives me some elite choices, I'm thinking of getting myself a relic Contemptor with lascannons and cyclone launcher.  The Dreadnoughts could be a fun alternative to my Leman Russ Spearhead for getting that anti-armor firepower that Deathwatch struggles with.

Dual chainfists is the only way to go when it comes to Contemptor Relics. Any other decision is an incorrect decision.

Guys. THIS. Relic Contemptors are underestimated gems for us. We can basically use them as mini imperial knights except they get all of the chapter benefits. Yes I agree there are lots of good weapon choices. And yes I agree the Leviathan Dread is a beast.

The biggest selling point I have for this is you can slap on a single claw and a single chainfist, and give it dual plasma blasters. It's slightly cheaper then an actual dual chainfist, it re-rolls 1's to hit because it has to melee arms, the plasma blasters give it some advancing and shooting abilities, and gets the standard relic contemptor awesome-ness - 2+/5++/6+++.

Another selling point is usually our elite taxes we would have take are either cheap enough to fit in (apothecary, aggressors?) or are already being taken.

If it were me, I want this thing deep striking or running up the board as fast as possible and taking fire so my other units don't get shot up. But I also want something to do some good when it finally gets there. The relic contemptor can do that a little cheaper then a leviathan for me.

Just to correct a misunderstanding of the interactions, you actually get a cost break buying either paired DCW or DC.

Relic Contemptor w/ fist and combat weapon: 178 before built ins

Relic Contemptor w/ double combat: 150

Relic Contemptor w/ double chainfist: 158

Also I wouldn't call a 65 pt apothecary tax cheap. That makes the Relic Contemptor w/ storm bolters a net 227 after the obligatory elite tax. Technically speaking, a Knight Gallant is still better than 2 Relic Contemptors, mainly because it saves a hundred pts without needing to pay obligatory slot taxes. Now if we didnt have to deal with the stupid relic rules, then yes, we'd be golden. As it stands I don't think that its a solid sell. I'll get more ROI on 2 contemptor mortis in my backfield for 168 vs a marching relic contemptor w/ 2 chainfists. Sure, you could teleport strike the contemptors, but I still need a value in my choices, and I'm not yet sold on Aggressors as independent choices, or Reivers, or Terminators, or Vanguard Vets, or MORE investment in other dreadnought types. The Contemptor mortis gives a tool we need. The Relic Contemptor pays 60 In taxes minimum for 2 wounds and 2+ save! Not worth it.

Walking it up the field could have some merit if the opponent gets tricked shooting at it (and you have the tax unit already), but I do not see the point in deep striking one (or any other single meele unit without bonus to charging, especially “tanky” units). More often than not, a deep striking meele will only be in combat turn 3 and then only against screens. At that point, a unit advancing up the field should also be in meele and it can draw fire/take some pot shots on the way. It also doesn’t spend a CP on the deepstrike that’s better suited for a short range shooty unit (e.g. leviathan or plasma vet squad) which can put guaranteed pressure on the opponent the turn they drop.

I can understand slot taxes, but if you were running an Apothecary (i do) you already have it, and if you are running a lean competitive list you were probably going for the knight anyway. I think the contemptor gives a bit of an edge especially to someo e eho wants a good list but isnt looking to stomp his local scene.

Plus the deepstrike if im not mistaken gets you in close were you can use the range weapons and maybe get a charge or support some friends.

Archived