Primaris and chainswords

appiah4

I know the Blood Angels upgrade sprue for Primaris contains a chainsword arm for the Intercessor sergeant. The Space Wolves one has one too.

And I was under the impression that the rules for taking those chainswords along with other weapon options acquired thru upgrade sprues were to become universally available to all space marine factions with primaris intercessors.

They are, the rules were updated in CA 2018. As for models, literally any marine chainsword will work as the Primaris are designed to make Astartes weapon look proportional. If you desire an appropriately oversized one, consider the eviscerator in the assault marine box.

I know the Blood Angels upgrade sprue for Primaris contains a chainsword arm for the Intercessor sergeant. The Space Wolves one has one too.

And I was under the impression that the rules for taking those chainswords along with other weapon options acquired thru upgrade sprues were to become universally available to all space marine factions with primaris intercessors.

CA2018 replaced the Intercessor unit card for Vanilla, BA, DA, & SW.  So yeah since Saturday Intercessor Sergeants have been able to take chainsword, power sword, or power fist as a replacement for their bolt rifle or in addition to.

Are there any Primaris models with chainswords? Does the option even exist? Is it me or is GW phasing the chainsword out for not being kid friendly?

Is this the new "kids ruining the game" thing after people realized that Slaanesh was still as Hellraiser-y as ever, if not more so?

Are there any Primaris models with chainswords? Does the option even exist? Is it me or is GW phasing the chainsword out for not being kid friendly?

Is this the new "kids ruining the game" thing after people realized that Slaanesh was still as Hellraiser-y as ever, if not more so?

No it is just an honest observation and conjecture.

So the option is now available thanks to CA 2018.. Are there any Primaris models with chainswords though?

Only chainswords available are the BA and SW upgrade kits AFAIK. That is to say, they're molded onto primaris style arms with the buttons and or viewscreens.

Given how 'clean' primaris bits are, i actually think the thow are pretty much void of any chapter iconography, so if you can secure them through trade or bits sellers or something, you're set

All Intercessor Sergeants have the option to take a Chainsword. Also Reivers have Combat Blades which have literally the same rules as Chainswords so there's some modeling opportunity.

It's kinda weird that GW gave them silent knifes instead of loud chainswords anyway considering they already use "sonic" weaponry to confuse the enemies and suddenly chainswords out of nowhere would serve well their role as terror squad. I guess GW wasn't completely sure whether they wanted them to be silent assassins or a terror squad lol

That train of thought combined with personal opinions regarding the appearance of reivers is why I'll just put bolt pistols and chainswords on primaris marines from the intercessor kit to "counts as" reivers.

If a squad of towering genetically engineered psycho-conditioned super soldiers clad in the armour of a battle tank, with nuclear reactors on their backs charges into your lines with roaring chainswords and automatic pistols firing 75calibur explosive rounds doesn't instill fear, than nothing will...

Or in other words... The reiver's fear effect is a good substitute for the shock that mortals might feel when facing death at the hands of angels.

CA2018 replaced the Intercessor unit card for Vanilla, BA, DA, & SW. So yeah since Saturday Intercessor Sergeants have been able to take chainsword, power sword, or power fist as a replacement for their bolt rifle or in addition to.

It also details an errata to include all the options for DW Intercessor Sergeants as well.

Good to know primaris can get more weapons for the sargeant. I was getting worried. But is it only power sword or also power maul/axe?

Just Power Sword. Power Axes are Space Wolf Primaris Lieutenant-only for now. And I've not seen any recent MARINE kit with a Power Maul kit :laugh.:

No it is just an honest observation and conjecture.

So the option is now available thanks to CA 2018.. Are there any Primaris models with chainswords though?

I wouldn't say it's an honest observation OR conjecture.

Games Workshop would NEVER phase out the Chainsword, as it's the single-most iconic piece of equipment in the Warhammer 40,000 setting, period, even more than the Bolter. Phasing out the Chainsword would be like Star Wars removing Lightsabers or Star Trek removing the Phaser, Nacelles on Federation ships or Warp Drives.

CA2018 replaced the Intercessor unit card for Vanilla, BA, DA, & SW. So yeah since Saturday Intercessor Sergeants have been able to take chainsword, power sword, or power fist as a replacement for their bolt rifle or in addition to.

It also details an errata to include all the options for DW Intercessor Sergeants as well.

Because the Deathwatch book came out and HAD all the options for Intercessor Sergeants, sans Power Fists :laugh.:

I'm using power sword on all my Intercessor Sgts, but if I were to use chainsword on the Sgts, I'd just use the combat knives from the Reiver sprue as a counts as. It might be iconic but the physics (yea yea sci fi :)) never have worked for me.

Reivers are bad and should feel bad.

Reivers are awesome. 100 points for 10 wounds that can arrive anywhere. People are too concerned with offense and they miss the Tactical application.

Reivers are bad and should feel bad.

Reivers are awesome. 100 points for 10 wounds that can arrive anywhere. People are too concerned with offense and they miss the Tactical application.

Not talking about they tactical application, but their model and general description.

Yeah. I don't care for their fluff much. And their appearance isn't terrible but It's just not what I want or need in my army. Tho I'll use their rules for bolt pistols and chainsword initiates.

I'll be putting bolt pistol and chainsword arms onto some intercessors in a little bit. I feel like the reivers represent the melee and the fear mortals suffer when half ton collosal humanoids, armoured like battletanks, come crashing into their lines with thunderous explosive 75calibur pistols and roaring chainswords. Belting out "no pity! No remorse! No fear!"

Honestly. Reivers and intercessors have the same stats and armour. Reiver knives have the same rules as chainswords. I can't imagine the classic initiate load out on an intercessor as counts as reivers will get many arguments.

And it gets more chainswords into primaris hands so that's good right?

I would have preferred intercessors to be able to swap out their bolt rifle for a chainswords as part of there base stats, make sense for more close combat oriented chapters, as well as specialized combat environments (ZM, starship boarding actions, etc). Legion tactical squads could be equipped similarly back around M31 as well... 

Archived