Librarian terminator or jump pack?

LucidNinja

I'm sure my searchfoo is off but couldn't find a decent bit of info on the topic of which is better.

The terminator has a built in invuln, better save, an extra wound and is cheaper.

The jump pack has better movement... And that's it?

I'm planning on deep striking him in 90% of the time anyway so was wondering if I'm missing something. Terminator seems like a much better choice.

I think it depends on what role you want the librarian to fulfil.

I personally prefer the jump pack librarian as he is there to drop in with my leviathan dreadnought and cast Might of Heroes and Veil of time on the dread.

If you wanted a more offensive librarian to come in cast smite etc., melta something and then charge with a force axe I would go for the terminator.

I always try and hit 2 battalions as we're a very CP heavy army. 1 of each librarian would be good for the minimum HQ requirements.

A jump pack gives more tactical flexibility for a librarian to buff other units (than the one it runs along with) in need if need be. Then the librarian can move further without taking terrain into account.

If you want your librarian to be more or less "locked" to a unit (locked in the sense that it has to footslog and can't really get anywhere without transport) and cast buffing spells or attacking spells along that unit then the termie is probably the better choise assuming the unit is not themselves using jump packs.

So it depends on what you plan to do with the librarian.

Don't underestimate the power of 12" movement.  There's a reason so many top lists have featured/relied on 12-14" movement.

being able to reposition for optimal smites or to jump forward 12" and shut down an invul is really good
increasing the threat range on your charges is useful, too.

the termie gets an extra wound and a 5++, but you lose an inch of movement.
deep strike means you dont hit the board till turn2.  so you lose out on a smite, and likely a defensive might of heroes as well.  also means he cant deny turn 1.
when you do drop him, his charge threat range is pretty dismal. 

I'd say if you're angling for a babysitter libby to just buff and smite with a footslogging unit, either jump pack for options, or primaris/basic librarian to save points.
I wouldnt suggest it, though.

Archived