Titan colouring Question

Black Knight

I wasn't too sure if this was the best place to post this but as it is a painting question about Titans, especially with everyone currently doing their models I thought this would be a good place for it to be answered.

I have spent the last few days looking for the right colours to use on my models but I have noticed a technique on a few models now and was unsure how it is done.

I have seen this beautiful gradient effect, on a small model I would shade to get this effect below, but on a bigger model I can only guess it is an airbrush black underneath a semi transparent red? Or is this done by multiple layers of a darker red?

unknown.png

Source

I have Vallejo's Bloody Red(72.710) but I am not exactly experienced in getting it to the effect above.

I would be very thankful for any hints.

Usually those gradients are at least 3 colours with mixing between them. Most likely a semi transparent Dark Red Brown like Vallejo's Burnt Umber into a mid tone red like GW's Mephiston Red into a lighter Red like e.g. Vallejo's Flat Red. But be aware that the person used a Satin Varnish of sort on those armor panels... else they wouldnt be that shining.

That's at least how I would build up such gradiance with an airbrush.

Mix nuln oil with medium to thin it down, let it dry and use multiple layers towards the edges.

Search YouTube for Duncan’s paint videos on doing horns, that’s the easy way to get darker gradients. I’m 90% sure he does it in at least one Nurgle model video with big horns.

If it isn't done by airbrush (hard to tell, although may well be given the stencil usage and overall consistency of the gradient across the rest of the model - it's a really effective paint job!), you might be able to work towards something like that through wet-blending. In either case, working from something darker, or by putting down an initial pre-shade (so that the central part would remain lighter with subsequent coverage/layers of paint), will ultimately help you get the effect you want. Theoretically, I'm guessing with that sort of pre-shade - and possibly a small amount of mixing with a lighter shade (either of red, or perhaps a yellow/white/cream tone), and then the opposite for the darker regions (main red mixed with black/brown/dark grey), it would be something you can work towards incrementally, until you're happy with the colour gradient across the section.

I'd try this on some panels/spare plastic to perfect the transition - but should be achievable with both brush and airbrush!

I do my red the following way:

Base Khorne Red

Undiluted wash of Carroburg Crimson

Drybrush in a swirling motion closer to the center of the panel.

Another wash of Carroburg Crimson.

Drybrush of Evil Sunz Scarlet in a swirling motion lightly close to the center of the panel.

Diluted wash of Carroburg Crimson.

Thank you everyone for the ideas, I have ordered some Vallejo brown primer. I hope it will let me layer properly, I love their black and grey primers but the red one I used just comes off and is awful.

Haven't done this kind of thing before so dreading it.

If the Vallejo one fails you I recommend using either Badgers Stynilrez or the repackaged ones of Ammo by Mig (which is Badgers' primer, but for Europeans.... same formular and everything but in a different bottle), they both have a brown primer which is awesome as base layer for colours like yellow or red. Or simply prime it black and use Burnt Umber from Vallejo as first layer.

Archived