Best Black Library book of 2018

Taliesin

Plague War Imo it's one of the most fascinating books released this year, and not because it features the Ultras. I think people have really missed out if they haven't read it. It's certainly better than most on the list.

LoS is indeed great, however.

Plague was a good book. Not the best book at anything. It loses to lords of silence for chaos. Charcharadons and spears for marines and titan death for BIG action. Plus the fact that it is at its core a ultramarine story that cements the presents editions view that ultramarines=best=future=imperium=guiliman in conjuction with the never ending bad taste for ultras much of the community still harbours from the ward era dent it mass apeal. Plus primaries also remain a turnoff for some. Good enough read tho imo.

For me its 1) lords of silence LOVED this book. A perfect example of bl fiction done right.

2) slaves to darkness, a perfect example of the hh done right.

3) the outer dark, great book on a great chapter.

I dare to say that we already got some favorites.

StD, LoS and Outer Dark with others like Warhawk close behind.

Just proofs to me that Wraight and French are among the top writers, imo. Rob seems to improve from year to year. At least with his sharks. Haven't read Blood of Iax for now but I guess it's more than enjoyable, as well. ;)

I'm guessing lots of people skipped Plague War?

I skipped it, surprisingly as I usually enjoy Guy Haley. I just didn’t enjoy the first instalment in this series at all and haven’t had any desire to get the second. I probably will at some stage or just do an audio version if I feel the need to catch up.

Lords of silence is bought but remains unread as yet.

2018 had a new Eisenhorn AND a new Cain book! What a time to be alive...

I’ve been catching up on a few older books I’d missed this year so didn’t read a lot of new ones. Enjoyed Titandeath and found some of Plague War VERY interesting. But the book I couldn’t put down was probably The Magos (might have helped that it was my holiday read around the pool...)

I’ve been catching up on a few older books I’d missed this year so didn’t read a lot of new ones. Enjoyed Titandeath and found some of Plague War VERY interesting. But the book I couldn’t put down was probably The Magos (might have helped that it was my holiday read around the pool...)

If there’s a vote for the biggest let down of the year it was the Eisenhorn book. I was mightily disappointed by that one.

I'm guessing lots of people skipped Plague War?

I skipped it, surprisingly as I usually enjoy Guy Haley. I just didn’t enjoy the first instalment in this series at all and haven’t had any desire to get the second. I probably will at some stage or just do an audio version if I feel the need to catch up.

Lords of silence is bought but remains unread as yet.

You might like the second, it's pretty different.

If there’s a vote for the biggest let down of the year it was the Eisenhorn book. I was mightily disappointed by that one.

Yeah, definitely split opinions that one!

Does Anarch and Spears of the Emperor really belong on this list? Those haven't hit general release yet.

Yes, they belong to the 2018 list. The requirement is that BL released them, and certainly in the case of Spear of the Emperor, it's been up for general sale, I see no reason to exclude that book * at all*. As for Anarch, it is why I mentioned that for those who bought and read it after BL made it available in 2018, they can list it.

Of course, both of these books will be on the list again this year ,which means that ADB might have two books on the list this year which will be a rarity for him ;)

Yeah, I disagree on that, especially concerning limited editions. It's not as bad anymore like it used to be, where we'd wait 2 years minimum for a general release, but 6 months put Spear of the Emperor firmly into 2019. The only thing that's going on general release next week is the german/french editions that went straight to hardback. The limited edition is available to buy on neither BL nor GW, as far as I can find.

As for Anarch, it's officially releasing on the 19th in ebook, hardback, and audiobook. It's a January release and has been listed as such for many moons now. If we just move things around willy-nilly because somebody might have gotten an event pre-release (or review copy, if it was a different publisher), we might as well start including paperback editions in follow-up years as well, with how we're basically succumbing to warp-time.

Heck, we might list Cadian Honour and Scourge of Fate as 2018 releases by virtue of them being holiday ePremieres, the same way Pharos was years ago, or the Khârn: Eater of Worlds novel. It's needlessly confusing and basically means books get two shots at being a best of year 20xx shoutout.

It's great for folks who enjoyed their books early, but event pre-releases and exclusive, expensive limited editions 6-12 months prior to general availability should not overshadow general releases.

-snip-

I absolutely agree with the principle of your point, but I don't think the thread is going for any kind of meaningful objectivity. Without requiring people to read all the releases before voting, its about as useful as the Oscars as far as any kind of real metric goes. I'd imagine the point is just to spread a bit of positivity and give people a chance to talk a bit about what they liked this year.

Yeah, I disagree on that, especially concerning limited editions. It's not as bad anymore like it used to be, where we'd wait 2 years minimum for a general release, but 6 months put Spear of the Emperor firmly into 2019. The only thing that's going on general release next week is the german/french editions that went straight to hardback. The limited edition is available to buy on neither BL nor GW, as far as I can find.

As for Anarch, it's officially releasing on the 19th in ebook, hardback, and audiobook. It's a January release and has been listed as such for many moons now. If we just move things around willy-nilly because somebody might have gotten an event pre-release (or review copy, if it was a different publisher), we might as well start including paperback editions in follow-up years as well, with how we're basically succumbing to warp-time.

Yeah, we disagree on this. Fortunately I made the thread so I've decided what is applicable :wink:

I think your point on Spear of the Emperor especially has zero validity. The book was up for release, people could ( and have) bought it, and it would be absurd to then prevent them from voting on the book because Dark Chaplain didn't want to buy it when it was for sale. 

Anarch is a general 2019 release , and will be up again for voting this year., but is is also a 2018 pre-release by BL ( it's not as if people pirated copies of Anarch or got ARC's, they paid full price for it, myself included). As BL decided to put hundreds of copies up for sale at the BL Weekender it is only fair to tell those who read it that they can vote for it as a 2018 book.

I have likewise included Sons of the Emperor on the list as I know a lot of people have read that book, even though it was only for sale at several different events this year.

P.S. let's not derail the thread with a discussion of why you think limited editions shouldn't be included, it's tiresome and not the point of this thread.

Yeah I'm with DarkChaplain there. Including all pre-releases and re-releases kinda defeats the purpose of such a thread and lowers the quality of such a 'ranking' in my eyes.

I'm with DC, as well.

The more input via brothers, who actually read a novel, the more valuable the outcome of such a thread is in the end.

That being said, including LES or Pre-Releases, which only affect about 15% of the community, is kind-of counterproductive.

I'd only include the general (or regular) hardback/paperback releases. Imagine an LE, which was released in week number 50. The lucky ones receiving it in week 51. Would that be a fair competitor to a book, which was released in week bumer 4?

It would be a little rude I think to open a new thread. Let’s go with this one for now. I do enjoy the responses to this thread as I haven’t read everything released and probably will buy some of the recommendations, so give us your lists folks (and we will agree to disagree over a few months here or there)

Lords of Silence was mine but I'm sure it would've been Spears if I was able to get it. I paid no attention to Slaves to Darkness but thanks to the recommendations in the thread I'm gonna check it out, thanks Frater. Honorable mention to Warhawk as well.

I would suggest Wanted: Dead, it's such a lovely delve into the Underhive, witty and fun and dark and lots of great world building, and great for its representation. Only a novella but still a book.

I really didn’t enjoy that one but good call on including one of the novellas. The series was a great development for the BL range in 2018. Mentioning my favourite one would get me a scolding from bolter and chainsword but suffice to say Nick Horth is brilliant!

Archived