Eye of the Emperor Finished Conversion

Vash113

So I finally finished a conversion I've been planning for a year or more, an Eye of the Emperor agent. I wanted something that could be used as a custom Shield Captain on the tabletop so I wanted to replicate a Guardian Spear without using a Guardian Spear. So I chose to use a Grey Knight spear and the oversized bolt pistol of the Primaris Chaplain to represent the spear and bolter combo and use the body of the Primaris Chaplain as it was both bigger than a normal marine and the sculpted greaves don't look as much like traditional space marine armor, as well as the model already had a dapper black coat. Adding a hooded head without the skull mask was a simple thing. I'm still considering adding a knife to the waist somewhere, probably under the right arm but I don't want the result to be too busy looking. I chose a silver armor color so that it stands apart from my golden Custodians but the shared red and gold details should tie him in with the rest of my list visually.

So what do you guys think? Anyone else considered converting up a custom Eye of the Emperor? There was some nice inspiration in the novella Auric Gods if anyone is interested.

49946718_10212280015866543_8084301956396

49948836_10212280015506534_2680593886635

50303779_10212280015786541_2924950682232

49666869_10212280016266553_2579166069277

49638352_10212280016666563_8736885373319

Love the idea and the Eyes are a really cool part of the Custodes (I need to read Auric Gods still though!)

However, in the case of this conversion, I think you need to do a little bit more to make him identifiably Custodes - currently it's just a Primaris Chaplain with a weapon & head swap, so when I look at him I just see a Primaris Chaplain I'm afraid!

I think even removing the power pack and adding some Custodes shoulder pads could go a long way to making him a bit more 'stodes!

The problem with Eyes of the Emperor is, that they leave their armor and weapons behind, so adding anything which would identify them as Custodes is off the table.

Still, nice work.

Love the idea and the Eyes are a really cool part of the Custodes (I need to read Auric Gods still though!)

However, in the case of this conversion, I think you need to do a little bit more to make him identifiably Custodes - currently it's just a Primaris Chaplain with a weapon & head swap, so when I look at him I just see a Primaris Chaplain I'm afraid!

I think even removing the power pack and adding some Custodes shoulder pads could go a long way to making him a bit more 'stodes!

The problem with Eyes of the Emperor is, that they leave their armor and weapons behind, so adding anything which would identify them as Custodes is off the table.

Still, nice work.

As Crizza points out an Eye of the Emperor should not be identifiably a Custodian at first glance, they leave all their arms and armor behind when they leave Terra, save their Misericordia. I was initially considering painting his armor gold like the rest of my Custodes and giving him a Watch Master Guardian Spear but I decided against both options as they would have made him look too similar to the Custodian Guard. Silver armor and different weapons makes him stand apart somewhat. My sole concession towards his origin is the eagle shoulder pad and the dagger I'll probably put on him.

Admittedly yes unless someone is familiar with the Eyes of the Emperor lore and sees him in a Custodian army they probably will just think it's a converted Primaris Chaplain but hopefully the context will help with that.

If you read Auric Gods, the Eye of the Emperor in that has his wargear described in quite a lot of detail. He has what sounds like an inferno pistol, a vibrosword (like the ones that those ad mech guys have) and his armour is more like carapace armour than power armour, with the black cloak over the top.

Representing this on the table is going to be really hard, because there's no larger models that could be an unarmoured custodian that could then have the carapace armour... 

I was thinking about using the slaughter priest as a base, but in any case I think it would require extensive work.

If you read Auric Gods, the Eye of the Emperor in that has his wargear described in quite a lot of detail. He has what sounds like an inferno pistol, a vibrosword (like the ones that those ad mech guys have) and his armour is more like carapace armour than power armour, with the black cloak over the top.

Representing this on the table is going to be really hard, because there's no larger models that could be an unarmoured custodian that could then have the carapace armour... 

I was thinking about using the slaughter priest as a base, but in any case I think it would require extensive work.

Yea unfortunately the scale of the Custodes renders most things too small to really work, hence why I went for a Primaris model. However I was considering modifying a Stormcast Eternal character, that might be a suitable base. I was particularly considering the Lord Ordinator and the Lord Exorcist models, maybe an Evocator. Something with some robes/capes already part of the model that could have a hood and some more robes added with Green Stuff.

Archived